Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Removing low disk space warning- registry edits don't work

  1. #11


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    WHY ON EARTH would you want to even THINK of touching the registry for such a trivial thing as LOW DISK SPCE. -- These days when you can get a 1TB HDD for around 30 USD why would you even consider worrying about low disk space.

    In todays world a new 1TB drive probably costs you about the same as a few days on your monthly smart phone contract or Internet costs.

    Cheers
    jimbo

    My system partition is only 60 GB. If you use the CCleaner option of wiping free space then you will get this warning since CCleaner just fills the drive with random data in files. It is just an annoying pop-up, easily removed in XP and Win 7, so what is different about 8?

    Please don't talk about reg changes. It is the nature of MS that makes them necessary in the first place. If the OS was more customisable they wouldn't be necesssary at all. Some of us still do not want anything to do with Libraries but we are lumbered with them - and only removed by reg changes. Can I get web pages to always save as .mht files - no. Why not? Loads of examples where we have to modify the registry - much to our general annoyance I might add, as probably for others.

    I do not recommend for others to make such changes but for those who do know their way around the registry and take the necessary precautions of backing up, making OS images or using Restore then they are free to do so. The OP I assume knows what he is doing.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sardonicus View Post
    Why would I want this?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Jimmy

    This is the website for the software -

    Ultimate Windows Tweaker 3.0 for Windows 8

    With screen shots of what it can do here -

    Image Gallery for Ultimate Windows Tweaker for Windows 8


    Hope this helps.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    WHY ON EARTH would you want to even THINK of touching the registry for such a trivial thing as LOW DISK SPCE. -- These days when you can get a 1TB HDD for around 30 USD why would you even consider worrying about low disk space. In todays world a new 1TB drive probably costs you about the same as a few days on your monthly smart phone contract or Internet costs.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    There are many good reasons (aside froom the fact that a $30, 1TB drive is garbage, anyway). I have several enterprise SSDs in my system, and they range in size from 128-512GB. Their performance exceeds any platter drive, aside from the fact that they basicaly require no cooling, don't heat up my box, and take up less space. Some are for temp storage specialized apps, so they tend to fill up, though the data don't require long term maintenance. None of this really is germaine to the fact that the warning is annoying and unnecessary for folks like me. Editing the registry is a trivial task.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    [QUOTEMy system partition is only 60 GB. If you use the CCleaner option of wiping free space then you will get this warning since CCleaner just fills the drive with random data in files. It is just an annoying pop-up, easily removed in XP and Win 7, so what is different about 8?[/QUOTE]

    Filling free space has nothing to do with the warning. The clusters in free space are available to store files, and if free space is adequate, a warning will not appear. It makes no difference whether free space is filled with 0x00s or any random bytes.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy59 View Post
    [QUOTEMy system partition is only 60 GB. If you use the CCleaner option of wiping free space then you will get this warning since CCleaner just fills the drive with random data in files. It is just an annoying pop-up, easily removed in XP and Win 7, so what is different about 8?
    Filling free space has nothing to do with the warning. The clusters in free space are available to store files, and if free space is adequate, a warning will not appear. It makes no difference whether free space is filled with 0x00s or any random bytes.[/QUOTE]

    Well it happens with some wiping software since they fill the space with files to the max before deleting them. I haven't used this option in CCleaner but was assuming this was the reason for asking. Oh well! I hope the software works if you choose to use it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Still doesn't matter. Once a file is deleted, its contents are not considered by the operating system. If there's enough free space, the low disk warning will not appear.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 151
    Win8 Pro
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy59 View Post
    Still doesn't matter. Once a file is deleted, its contents are not considered by the operating system. If there's enough free space, the low disk warning will not appear.
    I'm sorry you are wrong on this. As I have pointed out, some wiping software - Eraser and BCWipe if I recall correctly, not sure on CCleaner - do (did) their wiping of free space by creating large files of either random data or zeros and then deleting them. This approach fills the drive or partition completely thus causing the low disk space warning before the files are deleted. This is the reason I think why most people seeking a solution to the warning are wanting it not because they are actually filling their drives.
    Last edited by off piste; 11 Apr 2014 at 03:58. Reason: add
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by off piste View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    WHY ON EARTH would you want to even THINK of touching the registry for such a trivial thing as LOW DISK SPCE. -- These days when you can get a 1TB HDD for around 30 USD why would you even consider worrying about low disk space.

    In todays world a new 1TB drive probably costs you about the same as a few days on your monthly smart phone contract or Internet costs.

    Cheers
    jimbo

    My system partition is only 60 GB. If you use the CCleaner option of wiping free space then you will get this warning since CCleaner just fills the drive with random data in files. It is just an annoying pop-up, easily removed in XP and Win 7, so what is different about 8?

    Please don't talk about reg changes. It is the nature of MS that makes them necessary in the first place. If the OS was more customisable they wouldn't be necesssary at all. Some of us still do not want anything to do with Libraries but we are lumbered with them - and only removed by reg changes. Can I get web pages to always save as .mht files - no. Why not? Loads of examples where we have to modify the registry - much to our general annoyance I might add, as probably for others.

    I do not recommend for others to make such changes but for those who do know their way around the registry and take the necessary precautions of backing up, making OS images or using Restore then they are free to do so. The OP I assume knows what he is doing.

    Hi there
    If you want to re-size partitions simply boot GPARTED from a USB, resize them and re-boot.

    GParted -- A free application for graphically managing disk device partitions

    Job done !!!

    cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Removing low disk space warning- registry edits don't work
Related Threads
How do I merge the 18 gb system drive, that has no drive letter, with my c: Drive. See screen shot: https://www.eightforums.com/attachments/general-support/55995-runnig-out-disk-space-7-free-space-left-ashampoo_snap_2015.01.01_06h27m43s_001_.jpg
Does anyone know how to change the red warning indicator on free space in Explorer? I have over 300 GB of free space on a 4TB backup drive and I see that. I'd like to be able to change it to warn when I have, say, 500MB left. 48884 EDIT: I believe it is hard-coded to warn at 10% free, but...
Solved Defraggler - Disk Health Warning! in Software and Apps
Hello Community, Today I started on do a disk defrag on my wifes computer using defraggler. When I opened the application under "disk health" in yellow said warning. I went to the health tab and shows the HDD temp is green which means within the allowable number but what can I do to give me more...
Hi, One of our software providers has instructed us to make some changes to our Win 8 PC's registry to get the software to work properly. They have sent me details of what changes are required: Open Windows Registry Editor (Regedit) Right click HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT - click...
Ok when i plug in a USB Drive to Windows 8 Build 9200 (Final) everything is fine. When i remove it the PC Crashes immediately. How to fix that?
Dear All, Plz let me know how do i disable the low disk space warning on Win 8 CP 32-bit? I tried the below method after goggling but still without luck :( 1. Open up the registry. 2. Uncollapse HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies 3. In the right pane...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook