Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Can i take A backup in safe mode?????

  1. #1


    Posts : 8
    Windows 8

    Can i take A backup in safe mode?????


    I am using ASUS (S550CB) and given installed win 8 at purchase time so, no cd,key&backup provided to me. And unfortunately i also didn't make the backup. And now a BCD\Boot\ file is missing as a result at boot time a blue screen come.
    But now i pressed the F9 at boot time so, a screen open in which option's are available to open windows(I think it is a safe mode) or to troubleshoot(for image recovery back up), I select image and it is saying that there is no recovery image in this computer add a cd/dvd for backup/recovery image.

    So, my question is can i open the openwindows(Safe Mode)(pressing F9) and take a back up in my USB and then again to recover image. Is that possible because my BCD/Boot/ file is missing????????????

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Download a free utility called 'EasyBCD'. Use it in safe mode to repair the boot files.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 8
    Windows 8


    I tries but a seperate window open when i click "repair boot file"(EASYBCD) but after few seconds window close automatically
    and i restart to check whether it is repaire but it shows the same error
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    I just tried with Macrium & it failed:

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    You can also use Clonezilla to make a backup to a USB Drive, DVD-R, NAS. You would need to download Tuxboot at tuxboot.org and use that to create the boot media (USB Pen drive or CD).

    It is what is called an offline backup utility. It operates just like how Norton/Symantic Ghost used to operate. Running a backup while in Windows, does not unlock certain resources.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    I just tried with Macrium & it failed:

    Click image for larger version
    This has to fail David because in safe mode you have no shadowstorage services which Macrium and other imaging programs use to make their initial snapshot so that you can continue working whilst they fabricate the image.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    I just tried with Macrium & it failed:

    Click image for larger version
    This has to fail David because in safe mode you have no shadowstorage services which Macrium and other imaging programs use to make their initial snapshot so that you can continue working whilst they fabricate the image.
    OK.
    Thanks for the info.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    @ zobid - download the Macrium WinPE iso from my skydrive and burn that to CD.

    Then boot the PC with that CD and make your image. A USB stick must be at least 32GB (probably even more) to hold any sensible image.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    @ zobid - download the Macrium WinPE iso from my skydrive and burn that to CD.

    Then boot the PC with that CD and make your image. A USB stick must be at least 32GB (probably even more) to hold any sensible image.
    You only need a 8GB USB Drive, or SD Card in a USB reader for Clonezilla to run on. Once you boot up, you can run it in the RAM, which speeds up the process.

    Not to say that the alternatives are any different. The Majority of the PE's out there are Linux based.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    @ zobid - download the Macrium WinPE iso from my skydrive and burn that to CD.

    Then boot the PC with that CD and make your image. A USB stick must be at least 32GB (probably even more) to hold any sensible image.
    You only need a 8GB USB Drive, or SD Card in a USB reader for Clonezilla to run on. Once you boot up, you can run it in the RAM, which speeds up the process.

    Not to say that the alternatives are any different. The Majority of the PE's out there are Linux based.
    That's not the point. I was referring to the device where you store your image. The WinPE is only about 160MBs.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Can i take A backup in safe mode?????
Related Threads
Hi everyone I am facing a strange issue. My screen seems to have a grey filter overlaying it. See attached. When i booted it in safe mode, the screen is showing the right vibrant colors. When i booted it back to normal mode, the screen is greyish but strangely the mouse is showing the...
Keeps rebooting in safe mode in General Support
Sorry if I missed this in other post but I can't seem to find any other post that cover my problem. I had to boot into safe mode for virus removal and now all it will do is boot and start safe mode, then reboot again. It just keep doing it over and over. This is a new upgrade to a windows 7 pro OS...
I've had this computer less than a week. It tried to do an update and keeps getting stuck at 12%. Researching online, I've found ways to put it into safe mode but none work. Please help.
Solved Cannot get into safe mode in General Support
Hi, My computer lock-up after 2 secs log into windows (due to drivers problem). I need to boot my computer to safe mode directly and use driver sweeper to fix the problem. However, I'm not able to get into safe mode. (F8, Shift+F8) doesn't work neither. I'm using Windows 8 Pro MSDN version.
Safe Mode in WDP in General Support
For those wondering about safe mode in WDP, there are 2 ways to get into it. 1) For safe mode on next boot (or till you turn it off manually), use the regular msconfig way. In msconfig, click boot tab, check "safe boot" and radio button "minimal". Hit OK. You can restart straight away or later,...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook