Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Is 8 and 8.1 creating OS illiterate smartphone users?

  1. #21


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    I know people who say with Pride, "I don't even know how to turn a computer on."

    From the mountain country of the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.

    A lot of people here like that.

    Then again there are those who took the time to learn.
    Lots of them too.

    The trend is, more are taking the time to learn.

    Some are just intimidated by the technology.
    I have observed that many times too - poeple are proud to be dumb. Especially those that have no skills at all. They hang onto life by their fingernails.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    St. Augustine
    Posts : 388
    windows 8.1 64, LT -Windows 10 Home 64


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I have observed that many times too - people are proud to be dumb. Especially those that have no skills at all. They hang onto life by their fingernails.
    I often wonder how some people even survive.

    Maybe they are not so dumb after all.

    Why do for yourself that with which you can get someone else to do for you?

    I think many have that prevailing attitude. Possibly learned behavior, even generational to an extent but I don't you can pigeon hole any particular age group.

    And what do you do with this recent question?

    How do I find and open Programs?

    "The only thing I can find is right clicking the start button and clicking programs, but all this does is bring up the uninstall screen, which has no option for simply opening programs. I need a start button like on Seven. Windows 8.1 is what I have "

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Quote Originally Posted by gator2013 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I have observed that many times too - people are proud to be dumb. Especially those that have no skills at all. They hang onto life by their fingernails.
    I often wonder how some people even survive.

    Maybe they are not so dumb after all.

    Why do for yourself that with which you can get someone else to do for you?

    I think many have that prevailing attitude. Possibly learned behavior, even generational to an extent but I don't you can pigeon hole any particular age group.

    And what do you do with this recent question?

    How do I find and open Programs?

    "The only thing I can find is right clicking the start button and clicking programs, but all this does is bring up the uninstall screen, which has no option for simply opening programs. I need a start button like on Seven. Windows 8.1 is what I have "

    You saw that too?

    You lead him/her to use Classic Shell where they'll never learn anything new to be able to decide for themselves of course. All this on a Windows 8/8.1 support forum. Geez.

    Here's his/her response:

    Thanks. You saved me. Why would Microsoft make an OS that is so hard to figure out.
    I'd like to write more, but I can't do to rules.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    St. Augustine
    Posts : 388
    windows 8.1 64, LT -Windows 10 Home 64


    And a lot of these same people will be using Registry Cleaners and will be right back here
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    [QUOTE=gator2013;361365]
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post


    How do I find and open Programs?

    "The only thing I can find is right clicking the start button and clicking programs, but all this does is bring up the uninstall screen, which has no option for simply opening programs. I need a start button like on Seven. Windows 8.1 is what I have "

    my answer to that question was to left click not right click .they were going to program and features .
    what surprised me most with that was that most users rarely right click the mouse ,they always left click everything
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    [QUOTE=caperjack;361391]
    Quote Originally Posted by gator2013 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post


    How do I find and open Programs?

    "The only thing I can find is right clicking the start button and clicking programs, but all this does is bring up the uninstall screen, which has no option for simply opening programs. I need a start button like on Seven. Windows 8.1 is what I have "

    my answer to that question was to left click not right click .they were going to program and features .
    what surprised me most with that was that most users rarely right click the mouse ,they always left click everything
    Hmm, I don't remember posting that. Does not sound like me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    I know people who say with Pride, "I don't even know how to turn a computer on."

    From the mountain country of the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.

    A lot of people here like that.

    Then again there are those who took the time to learn.
    Lots of them too.

    The trend is, more are taking the time to learn.

    Some are just intimidated by the technology.
    I have observed that many times too - people are proud to be dumb. Especially those that have no skills at all. They hang onto life by their fingernails.
    I do not think that they are too proud to be dumb. I think that a lot is that the OS's have moved too fast for a lot of users to keep up. I cannot count the number of people that ask if they should go with Android, iOS or W8 Phone OS phones. Most opt for Android or iOS. Especially since you can use Chrome across multiple platforms to sync information.

    I was not in the loop from 1988-1989. Then again from 1994-2000. A lot had to do with not having the funds to get a computer. The other was that I never had the time to even sit down at a computer to do stuff, after working 12-14 hours at work.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    This is strange. I have both Android and W8Phone. I find the W8Phone a LOT easier than Android. It is probably because there are a lot less options. But that is good if you don't want to graduate in phone operating systems.

    My W8P was set up in a couple of days and with very little help. Setting up my Android took weeks and I was constant guest on the Android forum (which btw is very good).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 4
    Windows Vista/Wiondows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    I know people who say with Pride, "I don't even know how to turn a computer on."

    From the mountain country of the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.

    A lot of people here like that.

    Then again there are those who took the time to learn.
    Lots of them too.

    The trend is, more are taking the time to learn.

    Some are just intimidated by the technology.
    I have observed that many times too - poeple are proud to be dumb. Especially those that have no skills at all. They hang onto life by their fingernails.
    Or they are outdoor type people and have this thing called real life? Come on, it's funny that nerds are the most opinionated, negative people and the biggest jerks these days who think they'll all that. Excuse me, but nerds are the snottiest people around. And I was a nerd that cared about PCs all through high school and college, so it's not like I'm some jock feeling butt hurt. Some people have better things on their mind than computers and tech -- kids, pets, connecting to people, empathy. I'd trade everything I know about computers for companionship and friends.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there
    I don't know who said it but this quote is relevant I think to the topic.

    "The price of education is HIGH but the price of ignorance is ASTRONOMICAL".

    It always amazes me whenever I'm in the UK how much money I can save some of my colleagues by SIMPLE things like switching Energy suppliers / Broadband suppliers / Banks / Credit Card providers etc with a simple mouse click. People usually seem to be PROUD of admitting they can't do or hate SIMPLE ARITHMETIC.

    Most people haven't got a clue between the difference of an Interest rate of 13.5% and 39.5% on their cards --they usually say --OK I'm paying back 250 GBP a month which is affordable without realizing the Interest difference -- same with those ATROCIOUS "Payday Loan" companies in the UK - Interest rates here of around 3,000- 4,000% (yes no TYPO). The excuse is "I only want 500 GBP for a few days --which then rolls over and rapidly the Loan becomes several THOUSAND GBP. !!! I think those companies were booted out of the USA - good thing too --although if people were a bit smarter those companies wouldn't be in business either.

    (We have Credit Unions for this type of stuff but that model doesn't exist everywhere unfortunately).

    Maybe that's why the entire World is in such a mess !!! - people are PROUD to be poorly educated.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Is 8 and 8.1 creating OS illiterate smartphone users?
Related Threads
Smartphone screen size in Chillout Room
I just got a Samsung Galaxy S5 G900V, and I love it. It is about 5.1-inch screen and borders on being a phablet, but still fits nicely in my pocket. It did make me wonder though... what is the limit for the practical screen size on a smartphone? Surely much bigger than this 5.1 inch screen would...
Creating all Subsequent Users on External HD in User Accounts and Family Safety
Hi all - I want to set up my computer so that my administrative User account is stored locally, but all subsequent user accounts created are created on an external HD. Many of the guides and tutorials which show how to do this involve changing the registry, which I believe will not allow me...
Hey guys, quick question. I have an iPhone 4 and it has the ability to share its 3G data connection over USB (or WiFi) When I had Windows 7 and I put the option to share over USB, the minute I put the iPhone 4 in over USB, the connection would automatically be detected and used. But with...
Report: Nokia to bring blockbuster 41MP EOS Windows Phone to the US this summer | Windows Phone Central Well today, I post this. Nokia is rumored to be announcing one of their few new Windows Phones that apparently have been working on since April of last year. The screenshots of the phone seem...
I am seriously struggling with windows eight. I don't use computers often, about 1 hr a day to browse net. don't understand any of the lingo. I would like to plan my kitchen layout on here and have tried numerous websites but none of them work. They either do nothing, show a blank screen, tell me...
I wonder whether there will be a Desktop App for the ARM devices. I would think that fishing a document out of the explorer folder on a 4" screen can be pretty finagly.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook