Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


What is happening to my image files

  1. #31


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    Just noticed that your E removable drive is formatted as FAT32. You also have a FAT32 partition named backup which doesn't sound right for a drive that is intended to store backup images primarily. Can you explain a bit more about your E, F, and G drive configuration and also tell us where you directed Macrium to save the system image backup to?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Ok E: is only an sd card that I am using as readyboost. F: is part of my backup drive along with G, Disk 2. I have no idea how F: was made or why it is Fat32.

    Easeus todo backup ran sucessfully a disk and partition backup. I am running a system backup now...is this what I want to copy to the ssd?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Hmm, if F is an external, then my theory is no good. It is strange though that you could not even make an image with Macrium. That is usually straight forward and very uncomplicated. Are you sure you have the latest version of Macrium,
    I'll check on macrium and see what version I have.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    Easeus todo backup ran sucessfully a disk and partition backup. I am running a system backup now...is this what I want to copy to the ssd?
    I'm not sure what you are actually backing up (eg, what partitions you have included) so I can't say for sure at this point. Also, I'm a bit concerned about your intent to image a mechanical hard drive and then restore it to an SSD because there are alignment issues that may (or may not) be properly addressed; however, I am not positive about that aspect because I've never attempted an HD image restoral to an SSD so I can't say for sure about that either. OK, glad you got EASUS to work and good luck with whatever decision you make from here on.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    My2Cents with what you say perhaps it would be to my best interest to get the paragon software suggested earlier. However it will work or it won't.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Hmm, if F is an external, then my theory is no good. It is strange though that you could not even make an image with Macrium. That is usually straight forward and very uncomplicated. Are you sure you have the latest version of Macrium,
    I'll check on macrium and see what version I have.
    Latest Macrium version:

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
    My2Cents with what you say perhaps it would be to my best interest to get the paragon software suggested earlier. However it will work or it won't.
    That may be the best solution IMHO because your SSD would have to be the same size (or larger) than you current hard drive for the image restoral process to work. BTW, what is the make/model SSD you are trying to install? The reason I'm asking is because many of the SSD manufacturers also make the migration software available for free.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Thanks David
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    OCZ technology Agility 3 120 gb. I have one in my desktop just like this one. I used some software I got form giveawayof the day that was for migrating to ssd. I think the license has expired. For twenty dollars I would be worry free, And I had some program that was called fresh ssd.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
    OCZ technology Agility 3 120 gb. I have one in my desktop just like this one. I used some software I got form giveawayof the day that was for migrating to ssd. I think the license has expired. For twenty dollars I would be worry free, And I had some program that was called fresh ssd.
    I don't think the SSD warranty would have anything to do with the ability to use the manufacturer's migration software (if offered). Also, I have no experience with the others you mentioned so I cannot comment any further to that end. You might want to direct your next question (e.g., "will it work?") to the forum member that recommended the pay migration software because I have no idea how it works or if it will shrink the partitions (if necessary) as part of the migration process. Good luck.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
What is happening to my image files
Related Threads
How to Manually Extract System Image Files Using Disk Management in Windows 8 and 8.1 When you create a system image, Windows 8 creates a Virtual Hard Disk .vhdx file that contains all of your files from the included hard drives. This will show you how to attach (mount) this .vhdx file using...
I have a 1.8tb external hard drive that I defragged using Advance System Care's Smart Defrag 3. I re-analyzed the drive to check the result as it completed overnight. The disc is still 21% fragmented. I also analyzed the drive using CCleaner's Defraggler, which shows 27% fragmentation. I ran...
I went to go set photoshop as the default for opening a jpeg, and I noticed this weird option on the list that says %1. I don't know how to get rid of it it is very annoying. I tried cleaning the registry with CCleaner and removing "%1;" from...
Hi all, I recently got myself into a quandary. I installed 4 additional drives with the intent of creating a RAID volume that's supported by the BIOS. In order to do that I must change the BIOS setting for the controller which includes all volumes including my boot drive (which I don't intend to...
Have a new Windows 8 Pro setup. For some reason I do not get a preview of images in a folder just a generic thumbnail. Any thoughts?
Hello to all, I have just noted while trying to bring W8 up to speed, that Windows Photo Viewer can not display .NEF or .CR2 RAW image files. I have associated all the image file extensions with the Windows Photo Viewer and do not use the App Version. I don't recall but tried to begin the...
Good People, What am I doing wrong? I make a system image backup in Win 8. A .VHDX file is created. I can not mount this file. I can mount a VHD file.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook