Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Files - opening after saving ???

  1. #1


    Posts : 279
    Windows 8 (plain '8')

    Files - opening after saving ???


    win 8:

    former XP user - not unhappy with win 8 - takes getting used to i guess but one thing troubles me - with XP i could choose to save a file to desktop and i can still do that. But when i try to 'open' the saved file all i see are a list of what i 'think' is the total 'package' of what makes up the file - it doesn't 'open' to view in total 'what' i saved i.e. an article, an email, etc. as i viewed in prior to saving. This never happened with XP - when i saved anything all i had to do was find the file, click and it opened the same as the original that i saved. I tried to find a solution on the ''tutortial' section of this board to no avail.... thanks in advance for help. edythe

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    hi,not sure why yours is not working ,but anything I save to desktop works just fine ,,does the file open if you save it to documents.
    what email program do you use, I assume an article means a web page story ,

    i.e. an article, an email, etc. as i viewed in prior to saving
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 279
    Windows 8 (plain '8')


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    hi,not sure why yours is not working ,but anything I save to desktop works just fine ,,does the file open if you save it to documents.
    what email program do you use, I assume an article means a web page story ,

    i.e. an article, an email, etc. as i viewed in prior to saving
    ----------------------
    not sure 'where' the files are auto-stored - some i can find (i.e. documents) and click to open & i get the impression the file was saved to I.E when in fact my broweser is ''Chrome'' ...i don't want to click to open with I.E. because i would have two browsers open !!!-also even when i clicked to open even tho it 'was' showing as IE i get popup notice that 'active X' is not enabled. don't know what that is... this problem happens no matter what i try to save i.e. email/ or a newspaper article.... etc. thanks
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    is Chrome set as your default browser ,
    how to set defaults .heck tutorial in link ,good luck

    Default Programs - Set Your Default Programs in Windows 8
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 279
    Windows 8 (plain '8')


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    is Chrome set as your default browser ,
    how to set defaults .heck tutorial in link ,good luck

    Default Programs - Set Your Default Programs in Windows 8
    Chrome is my 'default ' ...so i don't know why when trying to open anything i saved, it opens it with IE...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    nope ,nor do I ,sorry .
    I only use IE myself so I cant even check the problem on my computer
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    If you are saving them to the Metro Desktop, not the actual Desktop mode, that looks like the XP desktop, you could run into issues. I always save stuff to my Downloads folder, then move them into whatever folder I need at that point.

    If you are using a Windows Live login, it can be saving it to the Live Documents folder. Would need more info as to which "Desktop" you are saving them to. Then I think we can all then get on the same page with you at that point.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    Quote Originally Posted by edythe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    is Chrome set as your default browser ,
    how to set defaults .heck tutorial in link ,good luck

    Default Programs - Set Your Default Programs in Windows 8
    Chrome is my 'default ' ...so i don't know why when trying to open anything i saved, it opens it with IE...
    It may not be set for all defaults, in the Default program. Follow that link info. Basically go to Control panel, then Default Programs and look for Chrome. It will tell you how many items are set for it to be the default program.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 279
    Windows 8 (plain '8')


    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edythe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    is Chrome set as your default browser ,
    how to set defaults .heck tutorial in link ,good luck

    Default Programs - Set Your Default Programs in Windows 8
    Chrome is my 'default ' ...so i don't know why when trying to open anything i saved, it opens it with IE...
    It may not be set for all defaults, in the Default program. Follow that link info. Basically go to Control panel, then Default Programs and look for Chrome. It will tell you how many items are set for it to be the default program.
    -------------------
    OK!! you are right -i was choosing ''chrome'' as default from Chrome's site - so i went to CP/Default Programs and set it there also with the lists you mentioned also showing. So now if i'm not wrong, i simply name the file & choose desktop if that's where i want the file for fast retrieval ... BUT - LOL - tried to save an email and it came up 'blank' ...i use AOL so the AOL email is showing as i 'save' then when i try to open it from Desktop (also saved one in CP/downloads) same thing happened -- would not show 'text' in the email saved. hummmm thanks so much for your help !
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 279
    Windows 8 (plain '8')


    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    If you are saving them to the Metro Desktop, not the actual Desktop mode, that looks like the XP desktop, you could run into issues. I always save stuff to my Downloads folder, then move them into whatever folder I need at that point.

    If you are using a Windows Live login, it can be saving it to the Live Documents folder. Would need more info as to which "Desktop" you are saving them to. Then I think we can all then get on the same page with you at that point.
    ===================

    ok just made sure i used CP/Default Programs =for ''chrome'' ... now in place - i can rite click here/copy/save to desktop and it 'takes' ! don't know what 'Metro' is - Win 8 for me shows tiles when i first bootup...if that helps describe 'what' desktop i have.
    Regarding saving emails from AOL ..the AOL site is saved but the individual email will not copy in what is 'saved' - only the blank AOL email site !!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Files - opening after saving ???
Related Threads
Greetings, I recently installed Win 8.1 Pro...there's some things I like and some I don't. I'm learning about File History and the System Image tools. Why MS went backwards in their backup tools from Win7 is a topic for another day...but I have a question about getting File History to backup...
Hi guys, I used the edit registry method to get Notepad++ to default for opening text files. I will have to check but I changed it 2 times once in the Wow6432Node and another time before that in a different path which is apparently for 32 bit (might need to change that back to original?). Anyway...
I have a Samsung laptop (model : NP370RSE). When I start it doesnt boot ( File: /BCD. Error code 0x000000d). I have made a recovery disk (USB) from Win 8, but the choices I get seem to "remove" my files. I have some pictures on the HD I would like to save. When the recovery says "remove" is...
I've been encountering some grey areas I'm not able to solve related to OneDrive and it isn't for a lack of trying. What I've been trying to find is the documentation describing OneDrive and how its architecture specifically interacts with Windows 8.1 and Office 2013. The default in Office...
How do I get this nasty file browser to never show up? I'd really much rather a normal file explorer window pop up. For example, using Paint Free, I made a nice little picture, then click "Save As". The screen I attached popped up. How do I get this bulky explorer to be replaced by a nice normal...
Solved Opening MS Access files in Software and Apps
I just set up my new Windows8 computer and I can only open MS Access files by first opening MS Access and then opening the file. If I try to open them by clicking on the file itself, there is no program associated with these .accdb files. So I have tried to change the association in Control...
Solved Saving files in Browsers & Mail
In windows 7 I can easily download and save files,videos, pictures etc. by right clicking and selecting where to put them. It seems in windows 8 my only optoin is video or picture library. How can I select which location on one of several hard drives to download files to?
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook