Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


cannot unlock a file

  1. #11


    Is it still set as wallpaper ?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 22,582
    64-bit Windows 10


    What happens if you copy the file to your desktop?

    Are you able to unblock it then, and move it to where you like?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 111
    Winodws 8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    What happens if you copy the file to your desktop?

    Are you able to unblock it then, and move it to where you like?
    yes
    if i copy on my desktop , then i can unlock
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 22,582
    64-bit Windows 10


    Ok, good.

    What all is on the partition Z?

    Could you temporarily copy the contents of Z: to another location, format Z:, then copy the contents back to Z: to see if you are able to unblock afterwards?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 111
    Winodws 8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Ok, good.

    What all is on the partition Z?

    Could you temporarily copy the contents of Z: to another location, format Z:, then copy the contents back to Z: to see if you are able to unblock afterwards?
    Z , is the partition of windows 7
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 835
    Win 8.1 Pro


    I would never recommend installing Windows on any partition other than C:

    Many software and other things rely on the path C:\Windows

    there are occasions where software may have to hard code file path or registry or other information
    that for whatever reason just does not work when using a variable.

    you can move a profile to another drive/partition, but Windows itself should always be installed to the C:\ drive.

    This may (not saying that it is) be the reason you are having issues with ownership of files.

    This is just an observation.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 22,582
    64-bit Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by drugo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Ok, good.

    What all is on the partition Z?

    Could you temporarily copy the contents of Z: to another location, format Z:, then copy the contents back to Z: to see if you are able to unblock afterwards?
    Z , is the partition of windows 7
    In that case, what did you mean by "the windows 7 is set offline under windows 8.1" if you still see Z: while in Windows 8.1?

    Since the folder is located in a user account's folder in another OS, you would be better off storing the images you wanted to use in Windows 8.1 in a folder in Windows 8.1 or in a "C:\Users\Public" folder in Windows 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 111
    Winodws 8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drugo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Ok, good.

    What all is on the partition Z?

    Could you temporarily copy the contents of Z: to another location, format Z:, then copy the contents back to Z: to see if you are able to unblock afterwards?
    Z , is the partition of windows 7
    In that case, what did you mean by "the windows 7 is set offline under windows 8.1" if you still see Z: while in Windows 8.1?

    Since the folder is located in a user account's folder in another OS, you would be better off storing the images you wanted to use in Windows 8.1 in a folder in Windows 8.1 or in a "C:\Users\Public" folder in Windows 7.
    windows 7 is not set offline under windows 8.1
    i set the label Z: to the ssd with windows 7
    can i change the permission of the folders or partition ? or it's dangerous for w7

    thanks Brink
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 22,582
    64-bit Windows 10


    I'd say that changing the drive letter to Z: from what it was showing as in Windows 8.1 is what messed up the permissions.

    You've already tried changing the owner and permission of the folder without it helping. It may be best to copy the contents into one of the say "C:\Users\Public" folders while in Windows 7, then see if you have any issues accessing them while in Windows 8.1. The Public folders allow full access by default.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
cannot unlock a file
Related Threads
How to unlock Hard Drive in General Support
Hi, I have just tried to Refresh my Windows 8.1 installation, but when running the refresh Windows 8.1 came up with an error I have not seen before, let alone do the refresh. :o It displayed a message saying "The Drive is Locked, you will have to unlock the drive to continue" so HOW do you...
Unlock picture in Drivers & Hardware
I have tried several pictures to use for the unlock screen but they just don't work well for me. I thought about how on my Android phone has the dots available and I can draw the lines. I wanted something similar to use for the unlock screen on my touch Windows 8 but the unlock supports lines,...
Unlock EFI Partition in General Support
I'm having a problem connecting my laptop to an external monitor. I've encountered this problem a few times now. My external monitor will just stop working one day, and the only way I've found to fix it is to delete the keys located in the EFI partition. After the keys are deleted I can reset...
Can't log in/unlock windows 8 in General Support
I logged into my microsoft account on my win8 laptop and when i turn it on again, the laptop cant connect to my home wifi automatically so i cant log into my microsoft account on my laptop because it requires an internet connection. So I am now locked out of my laptop. I dont know what to do....
Use either left or right Ctrl key to unlock. Using the spacebar key is documented but since I'd found no mention of the method which I use, then I thought I'd pass it on.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook