Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


This will be Microsofts biggest ever flop, far bigger than Vista.

  1. #871


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Hacking Win8 is what many are going to do.

    months latter it was worth millions and why? Because they changed
    No, it is not simply because they changed - it is because they made the right changes.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #872


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by killericarus View Post
    Its soo funny here at this forum I've been hanging around for a week or so and just for thos that really have no clue as to what is going on @ microsoft have none of you ever used linux? Its almost an exact copy with eye candy and apps and does no one remember longhorn? Where do you think all the faild system changes were going guess what there here in full effect in 8 and if you think it will fail or flop it is just like when windows was worthless then months latter it was worth millions and why? Because they changed. What do you think was the real intention of active desktop? It was always like metro a dock bar that is native to linux and more than one desktop oh my again a linux first. Areo glass? Please that was in linux first too I sugest you fellows download a copy of ubuntu or saybayon linux and see how exact they are before you worrry your litte heads off this has been something in the works for years and was all implemented in linux first don't belive me google compiz and beryl its all graphix and oh wow did I mention that linux has a destop cube giving you 6 desktops that are more fluid in movement than the metro desktop and the reason for loging in with a live id is so you can't pirate windows and it will also eliminate 75 percent of viruses like in linux the only people who get viruses are those who use there linux box rooted I can tell most of the people here at this forum are just whiny and are not interested in hacking 8 for what its worth !!!!!!!!
    I remember Longhorn....never forget. It took a WHOLE decade before its features and design were implemented.

    I agree with some of what you say, some people need to take Windows 8 and make it what they want it to, just like they would with 7, or Linux in your case. I think there is that Desktop cube for Windows with an AMD Catalyst driver that that kind of does that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #873


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Excelsis View Post
    Okay, I just HAD to register, so much misinformation in a single post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
    For a start a lot gamers won't be happy to find out that their older DX9 titles that require DX 9 elements won't run on 8! At least with 7 despite DX 11 you could still install 9 along with it and the old stuff will run. Then of course 8 being a newer not so compatible as the 7 from Vista move is not able to run many other things that run on 7 without some newer version coming out.

    The change from XP to Vista was also a leap while Vista and 7 stayed much closer compatibility wise. There are a number of things if you look close enough that run on Vista and generally will work on 7 but not 8! But this is also the expected outlook when going from any version to one newer.

    As far as Tablet PC no one would expect any optical there or with a netbook. Plus Tablet PC has always been a totally "separate" edition from what goes on any laptop or desktop to begin with. Why would anyone want Tablet PC gui on a desktop pc when they would expect a newer desktop OS to have a desktop gui to begin with?

    As for the Media Center that was one thing added into on the 2005 XP MC edition and simply carried on with Vista and 7. WMP on the other hand has been around since 95! WMP 10 finally saw additional codecs included rather then the need to go and buy separate codecs online. Now MS is eliminating the ability for playback entirely? not just removing codecs!

    That's another "why?" to add to the list which will make many wonder why bother?! Most will simply look at 8 and think MS is "off in the clouds somewhere" not paying attention to the desktop user!

    Generally whenever MS make a major change in the OS it usually takes a few versions to get things worked out. That was seen with 3.1 to 95. 98SE however was the Legacy winner! Likewise following the leap from XP to Vista 7 topped all! And we now wait for 9? 10? 11? to fill in the void between 7 and...
    Did you actually TRY Windows 8? Cause it doesn't seem like it.

    DirectX 9. Where did you hear that DX9 (or older) games wouldn't work? Cause mine all work fine. In fact, games like Diablo 1/2 and Starcraft work fine without any work arounds that were needed in Vista/7.

    Compatibility, both with software and drivers. Haven't read of any significant issue with any software, save for a bug in Skype. Drivers? If they work on Vista/7, they'll work on 8. My old B/G wireless card works fine with the drivers that came on the CD. Had no issue installing W7 drivers for my older system, either.

    Both Nvidia and AMD have been supporting CP and RP with beta drivers and there's very few issues so far, save for one specific game I've heard of (Max Payne 3).


    Tablet UI? Eh? Click on the desktop tile and you've got your regular ol' Windows desktop. The start screen takes up the entire screen, yeah, but when you go in your start menu, you can't do anything else ANYWAY.
    Do you just sit there with your start menu open while looking at a Youtube video or whatever? I doubt it.
    Pin your most used apps on the taskbar and pin the rest on the start screen and that's it.
    You're not required to use Metro Apps. It's not the most elegant way of doing things, but it works.

    Media Center... Eh, never seen anyone use it, most people just download VLC anyways. And WMP is staying, unless you're talking about Windows RT, which is for ARM based tablets, in which case they have the Music and Video apps to fill the void.

    Oh and btw, paying for codecs? Really? Who does that. There's plenty of ways to watch any and every video file imagineable. VLC and MPC-HC being very easy ways to go about it.



    And I wouldn't call Windows 8 a major change. The only real difference is the start screen, which works more or less the same way as the start menu, except it's fullscreen and you can have pretty tiles that show random info like new mails, weather, news and stuff.
    There's lots of behind the scenes improvements, but they're hardly a major change, either. At least IMO.
    I agree, I got a couple of DX9 games installed that work actually better in 8 than they did in 7. Before, I had to use Windows 7 32 bit to get them to work even under compatibility settings; in 8, they just worked even WITHOUT installing and using in compatibility mode. The issue I'm having is with Halo 2, a DX10 game. I get it to install flawlessly (which never worked in 7 unless in 32 bit mode and not 64 bit) but I come across the Xbox Live issue. I think I had to install something before hand.

    As for compatibility with devices, WOW, 8 beats out 7 for sure! I had two wireless adapters in 7 that needed the manufacturer driver to even work, in 8, they worked within three seconds. For laptops and other devices, webcam drivers install and work great, sound works fine as usual, SD card readers work and all. That's impressive considering the Release Preview install files are actually smaller than the Consumer Preview. I downloaded the Release Preview and it was a couple of gigs and I though I accidently downloaded the smaller 32 bit copy, but it was actually the 64 bit version.

    And yes, in no realistic set up does one watch what's going on within multiple windows while trying to navigate the start menu. That's a weak argument. Your focus is finding an item in the menu, not what's going on with a bunch of windows.

    When 8 is at RTM stage, the other half, the Desktop, will be changed to fit the metro design. I found a concept mockup of Windows Explorer that was just FANTASTICLY metro design: clean, simple, flat, but neatly designed. I hope that happens with the Desktop. I also hope Control Panel gets redone to marry up with PC Setting's design layout.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #874


    Posts : 454
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I remember Longhorn....never forget. It took a WHOLE decade before its features and design were implemented.
    Are you from the future? Because through June 17, 2012, features like WinFS that made Longhorn really different remain on the scrap heap of history.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #875


    Posts : 738
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional


    Undoubtedly! The code name for Vista was Long Horn which didn't take up any 10yrs. or longer! Vista has only been out since 2007 or 5yrs.! Development for the 2004 release was delayed for 3yrs. due to various problems that kept coming up making it the longest gap between each new version of Windows. Not even a decade has passed.

    As far as comparing Linux to Windows the one thing to remember there is that every so few months you see a new "flavor of the month" with most distros. Ubuntu is one the fastest changeover to next distros seen. As soon as you get the ".04" release on the ".10" next release is out!

    Developments seen there are user submitted entries for adding or modifying things. If someone comes up with something new and interesting that is well written the particular distro it was intended for will adopt it at times!

    The comparison to MS however is that MS is a profit driven corporation not a free OS society of "OS Geeks" as they get labeled. As far as how well games run on 8 when compared to 7 I didn't actually find any noticable difference when running the same titles old and a lot newer in the same conditions.

    What most forget when saying 8 is faster is mainly due to just seeing the RP come out and working with a fresh system reg on a clean install of Windows compared to their startup laced 7 install that's been on for some time! Any alleged DX9 games you ran apparently did not require DX 9 to be present. For older titles now some 11yrs. or older some managed while others... "bit the dust"! "Program incompatible with this version of Windows" sums that up correctly!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #876


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)

    I don't think that is correct


    Quote Originally Posted by killericarus View Post
    ... and the reason for loging in with a live id is so you can't pirate windows ...
    Not yet.
    It's to get people used to the idea.
    When "Cloud" Windows appears you'll be correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by killericarus View Post
    ... and it will also eliminate 75 percent of viruses like in linux the only people who get viruses are those who use there linux box rooted ...
    I doubt that it will have any effect on malware.

    It won't stop Worms from exploiting security flaws.

    It won't prevent you:

    • Installing an virus-ridden file (say via USB) or Trojan.
    • Answering a Phishing email.


    Those things can also happen in Linux.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #877


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I remember Longhorn....never forget. It took a WHOLE decade before its features and design were implemented.
    Are you from the future? Because through June 17, 2012, features like WinFS that made Longhorn really different remain on the scrap heap of history.
    Well of course WinFS never made it. But I'm talking about how a lot of features and design elements from Longhorn either made it as it is in vista or 7 or 8 or they made it as a morphed version; like WinFS. In Server 2012, it has the new ReFS and Microsoft has hinted that it will eventually come to the client OS of Windows 8. Back in Longhorn, when you opened your Pictures Library (a feature that ended up in 7) and hovered over a picture, it would expand to be a bit larger. In Windows 8 within a metro file picker, you hover over a picture and it expands a bit larger and it also shows some details about it.

    A good analogy would be like Longhorn being a cool airplane that crashed and its parts got scattered across the years....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #878


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by killericarus View Post
    ... and the reason for loging in with a live id is so you can't pirate windows ...
    Not yet.
    It's to get people used to the idea.
    When "Cloud" Windows appears you'll be correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by killericarus View Post
    ... and it will also eliminate 75 percent of viruses like in linux the only people who get viruses are those who use there linux box rooted ...
    I doubt that it will have any effect on malware.

    It won't stop Worms from exploiting security flaws.

    It won't prevent you:

    • Installing an virus-ridden file (say via USB) or Trojan.
    • Answering a Phishing email.


    Those things can also happen in Linux.
    The cloud features are pretty cool in 8. I can go to another PC running 8 and setup a new user account and use my Microsoft account and my settings, email, calendars, social networks and such transfer over without setting it up in each individual app or having to change settings in the Desktop.

    I bet it will take a LONG time until Windows Cloud. A vast majority of the US doesn't have FIoS internet service with a gigabit of speed. It would be a major PITA to have to stream an operating system through a DSL connection.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #879


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)

    Sure, but ...


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    The cloud features are pretty cool in 8. I can go to another PC running 8 and setup a new user account and use my Microsoft account and my settings, email, calendars, social networks and such transfer over without setting it up in each individual app or having to change settings in the Desktop.
    Those features could be useful for some people (i.e. people who use multiple W8-based devices).

    However it also means that your info can be easily scrutinised and then sold to advertisers.
    It could also be used by cyber-criminals to gather info about your system.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I bet it will take a LONG time until Windows Cloud. A vast majority of the US doesn't have FIoS internet service with a gigabit of speed. It would be a major PITA to have to stream an operating system through a DSL connection.
    Sure.
    It wouldn't be Microsoft's problem though, it would be yours.

    I'm sure terms, like "Luddite" and "Cheapskate", would be bandied about on forums.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #880


    Now finally some people that see win 8 for what it is almost ten years ago I frequented the forums of iexbeta when one in my lvl would have 4 or five windows pcs an xp,longhorn,server 03,98 on a live cd with a persistance file and my favorite windows freestyle that one day I made the connection myself by pure coincedence as I was trying to create an open session rewritable cd of xp much how linux has always had a live cd but back to the here and now win 8 has a boatload of hidden gems no the famous file system didn't make the cut because it was adapted. To take on journal file system a hybred that is incomplete because of meta stream data that ruins the performance and the tecnique was used in linux to allow one high performance file system communicate with all others and windows failed at that. Now comes security issues that have plagued since the days of 95 and windows millenium with service packs and such so they take power shell a dos hybrid and include explorer commands in it so one can run the pc without utilities like vnc and actually use virtualization to its proper lvl now I've only been playing with this release for a few weeks but it is the "heir appearent" without a doubt lol look at distros like pclos that strive for "works out of the box" well that is been windows forever now comes the dawn of cloud and virtualization box no more people that box can be on the other side of the world now and take the metro desktop does anyone remember the green pc sold at walmart it was a linux setup that had all apps just like win 8 and logon was very similar with respect to it controlled you more than you controlled it that said win 8 is a gem in itself waiting for people to tear it apart and try to keep microsoft from turning into another monopoly with everything having to go thru them first
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

This will be Microsofts biggest ever flop, far bigger than Vista.
Related Threads
Solved Biggest bug ever maybe? in General Support
Ok so here is the deal I have 2 separate hardrives both 1tb drives.....1 has windows 8.1 other is used for storage... but here is the strangest thing ever. All I did was set my other computer to read the storage drive in home groups and now it shows i have 3 TB drives.. I even put like 600mb in the...
This will be a rant, or some thoughts I have on tablets, Microsoft, Ram and Hard drives, and the direction Microsoft and others are going. I'm a PC user, that doesn't own a smartphone or table either windows or android. I have been looking at windows tablets and android tablets in general to get...
W8 on iPad- the biggest mystery in Drivers & Hardware
Okay, I've researched this online for an hour, and have found old posts from February through April 2012 that iPad will NOT get windows 8 on it... Technically it's possible and impossible at the same time. I'm wondering if there is any NEW info on this, and if it will eventually be possible or...
Read more at source: Top 10 biggest drawbacks of Windows RT | Microsoft - CNET News See also: https://www.eightforums.com/windows-8-news/10376-7-reasons-why-windows-rt-works.html
:cry: This is bad - what are you suppose to do - im so angry - i dont think i will sleep - drivers wont install - dissappear on my laptop via Windows Update. On my pc i just got avermedia hybrid tv driver to install but it took 15 minutes as it loaded at snails pace, after several attempts (about...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook