Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


This will be Microsofts biggest ever flop, far bigger than Vista.

  1. #331


    Posts : 51
    Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
    Metro was really designed for a touch screen interface.
    Couldn't disagree more.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #332


    Posts : 120
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass


    Quote Originally Posted by whest View Post
    Hi, guys, I've just found a good guide by Ed Bott for customising the Start Menu - The Metro hater's guide to customizing Windows 8 Consumer Preview - here is the link:
    The Metro hater's guide to customizing Windows 8 Consumer Preview | ZDNet
    The fact that he's created shortcuts for text commands to shutdown the system is very telling in itself.



    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    But what's the point of having a completely separate desktop, from which to launch 'normal' applications. The only reason for the 'new' start page if for running Metro applications. However, why would I want to leave the 'legacy' desktop just to launch a Metro application, when I can do exactly the same thing, with more than likely a better application, from where I currently am.
    Because MS wants to make sure that everyone gets the message. Metro is the way forward, the wave of the future. If you're a developer, you must make Metro applications. If you're a user, you need to learn how to use it.

    It's a question that has the same answer as just almost any other regarding Windows 8 really. MS is betting the farm on touch devices, and they don't care at all if it harms the traditional desktop experience. After all, they're thinking that even if you really hate Windows 8 and stay with Windows 7, they can live with that. PCs are going to come with Win8 preinstalled no matter what, and enterprises who have recently migrated to Win7 or are in the middle or doing so were likely to skip Windows 8 anyway.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #333


    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Eater View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
    Metro was really designed for a touch screen interface.
    Couldn't disagree more.

    Couldn't agree more.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #334


    Posts : 122
    Windows 8 64bit Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by mcnulty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whest View Post
    Hi, guys, I've just found a good guide by Ed Bott for customising the Start Menu - The Metro hater's guide to customizing Windows 8 Consumer Preview - here is the link:
    The Metro hater's guide to customizing Windows 8 Consumer Preview | ZDNet


    The fact that he's created shortcuts for text commands to shutdown the system is very telling in itself.



    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    But what's the point of having a completely separate desktop, from which to launch 'normal' applications. The only reason for the 'new' start page if for running Metro applications. However, why would I want to leave the 'legacy' desktop just to launch a Metro application, when I can do exactly the same thing, with more than likely a better application, from where I currently am.
    Because MS wants to make sure that everyone gets the message. Metro is the way forward, the wave of the future. If you're a developer, you must make Metro applications. If you're a user, you need to learn how to use it.

    It's a question that has the same answer as just almost any other regarding Windows 8 really. MS is betting the farm on touch devices, and they don't care at all if it harms the traditional desktop experience. After all, they're thinking that even if you really hate Windows 8 and stay with Windows 7, they can live with that. PCs are going to come with Win8 preinstalled no matter what, and enterprises who have recently migrated to Win7 or are in the middle or doing so were likely to skip Windows 8 anyway.
    Well, you can just press ctrl & alt + del, and you have restart shutdown sleep & signout - he is only expressing his own impressions, and likes to tinker for mind. As for wrecking the desktop, with one touch of the windows logo on the keyboard to interchange, and the fact that the desktop is no different then before I fail to see your argument.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #335


    Posts : 828
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate/Windows 8.1/Linux


    Quote Originally Posted by mcnulty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whest View Post
    Hi, guys, I've just found a good guide by Ed Bott for customising the Start Menu - The Metro hater's guide to customizing Windows 8 Consumer Preview - here is the link:
    The Metro hater's guide to customizing Windows 8 Consumer Preview | ZDNet
    The fact that he's created shortcuts for text commands to shutdown the system is very telling in itself.



    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    But what's the point of having a completely separate desktop, from which to launch 'normal' applications. The only reason for the 'new' start page if for running Metro applications. However, why would I want to leave the 'legacy' desktop just to launch a Metro application, when I can do exactly the same thing, with more than likely a better application, from where I currently am.
    Because MS wants to make sure that everyone gets the message. Metro is the way forward, the wave of the future. If you're a developer, you must make Metro applications. If you're a user, you need to learn how to use it.
    From a personal perspective, maybe if they allow multitasking of more than two Metro applications simultaneously, and maybe, if they provide a way to run Metro applications in a window - they look ridiculous on big screens - Metro may be worth another time investment but having spent months using DP and now another 10 days with CP, the only tile on my start page is the desktop.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #336


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8 Customer Preview


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    You can have two apps open on the same screen in Metro, I don't know if you can do anymore. Anyway, you can still do whatever you want in as many windows as you want on the desktop, same as in 7. Apart from that I'm not sure what you're getting at.
    As I discovered after my earlier comment, multi Metro windows on the screen at the same time requires a minimum 1366 by 768 resolution. My four year old Gateway laptop has a max of 1280 by 800, so like many others with "mature" PCs, I am shut out for multiple Metro Windows. So close but so far away. Disappointed, but realistic about technology advancing. C'est la vie! And yes, clearly Microsoft is aiming this at tablets and other mobile smart devices which are the future.

    And yes, I spend nearly all my time in the customer preview in the standard desktop where my old tried-n-true applications run. It's just that for those with older PCs on Windows 7 with insufficient screen resolution for the Metro snap apps feature, there really isn't a whole lot of incentive to upgrade to Windows 8. Windows 7 has been rock solid for most, and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

    I've tried nearly all of the free Metro apps, and at this point they are not impressive to the point of being ponderous. Everything inside them uses far too much screen real estate which requires constant scrolling left/right to get anything accomplished. This is not true of similar apps on my iPad2 which are far more usable. In particular one of the apps runs on my PC and my iPad as well as in Metro, and the Metro app seriously pales in appearance and usability with many features missing. Of course I understand this was certainly a first attempt and will likely be fine with the final release of Windows 8.

    At least it is nice to know that should I upgrade to a new Windows 8 PC/tablet I could have multiple Metro apps side by side. An improvement over my iPad which is one app on screen at a time. What I do like with Metro is the "live" icons where available like weather and the stock market.

    How about adding a clock/date somewhere on the Metro UI that stays fixed when you scroll?

    Bob
    Last edited by BobLenx; 10 Mar 2012 at 09:52.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #337


    Denmark
    Posts : 224
    Windows 8.1 64bit Pro


    My PC is soon a dinosaur

    First the consoles kills PC gaiming, now that almost every new game is a "ported consol-game" which not make use of the horsepower in my PC. Well, many of the new games has had a graphic layer over, but poorly programmed, so my graphic card is at hard work, but ram, CPU, aso does allmost nothing while gaming.

    Now this Metro interface ... it is as a ported game, it is deffently NOT using space and hardware fully out, but as with "consol" games, we just have to face, that PC is on a downhill, and it is going faster and faster, most because of tablets and smartphones and consoles. As Einstein said "Make it as simple as possible but no simpler than that". IMHO Metro is too simple in its shape and function on a desktop PC right now.

    I am an old man, and I enjoy sitting in my "gamer room" with my Recaro car-chair running racing games, and also use my PC to make drawings, photo editing and some other interests with my wired 50/50 mbit internet, with my door closed. That is a joke to use a tabletPC for these things.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #338


    Posts : 92
    Windows 10 (64 bit)


    Microsoft goes on a charm offensive

    As Windows waves goodbye to ease of use

    SOFTWARE HOUSE Microsoft has gone into some detail about some of the most obvious changes in the look and feel of the Windows 8 user interface.

    A long Microsoft blog post goes into some detail about the apparently subtle changes that are supposed to speed things up and make things easier to do in Windows 8. We are not convinced.

    Full article at:

    Microsoft goes on a charm offensive - The Inquirer
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #339


    Posts : 120
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass


    Quote Originally Posted by whest View Post
    Well, you can just press ctrl & alt + del, and you have restart shutdown sleep & signout - he is only expressing his own impressions, and likes to tinker for mind. As for wrecking the desktop, with one touch of the windows logo on the keyboard to interchange, and the fact that the desktop is no different then before I fail to see your argument.
    There was no need at all to tinker before. Certainly no need at all to be messing with commands. And the desktop is still there, of course, but there is no way to claim that it's the same as it was before. Sure, some people will be happy with the workarounds and the compromises, I'm not. I don't see why the start menu has been replaced by an interface which makes sense only for tablets, nor do I understand why even when on the desktop I want to choose which application to use for a certain file type the dialog that I'm presented with is not a regular Windows dialog but a square Metro-meant-for-touch dialog. Ditto with notifications and all other kinds of stuff that insist on reminding me that I'm dealing with the desktop as an unusual kind of guest or legacy application inside a touch-designed operating system.

    So there is an argument to be made, even if you choose to dismiss it because you personally don't care about it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #340


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    I don't see why the start menu has been replaced by an interface which makes sense only for tablets,
    What do you really do with the Start menu in Win7 - few people use it to start programs, but even if you do, the new start menu is just as good. And All Apps is certainly easier to use than All Programs. Search is the same. So where is the problem.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

This will be Microsofts biggest ever flop, far bigger than Vista.
Related Threads
Solved Biggest bug ever maybe? in General Support
Ok so here is the deal I have 2 separate hardrives both 1tb drives.....1 has windows 8.1 other is used for storage... but here is the strangest thing ever. All I did was set my other computer to read the storage drive in home groups and now it shows i have 3 TB drives.. I even put like 600mb in the...
This will be a rant, or some thoughts I have on tablets, Microsoft, Ram and Hard drives, and the direction Microsoft and others are going. I'm a PC user, that doesn't own a smartphone or table either windows or android. I have been looking at windows tablets and android tablets in general to get...
W8 on iPad- the biggest mystery in Drivers & Hardware
Okay, I've researched this online for an hour, and have found old posts from February through April 2012 that iPad will NOT get windows 8 on it... Technically it's possible and impossible at the same time. I'm wondering if there is any NEW info on this, and if it will eventually be possible or...
Read more at source: Top 10 biggest drawbacks of Windows RT | Microsoft - CNET News See also: https://www.eightforums.com/windows-8-news/10376-7-reasons-why-windows-rt-works.html
:cry: This is bad - what are you suppose to do - im so angry - i dont think i will sleep - drivers wont install - dissappear on my laptop via Windows Update. On my pc i just got avermedia hybrid tv driver to install but it took 15 minutes as it loaded at snails pace, after several attempts (about...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook