Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


This will be Microsofts biggest ever flop, far bigger than Vista.

  1. #251


    Posts : 16
    Windows 7: Professional - Service Pack 1 (Soon to be Windows 8: Release Preview)


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Batjoke100 View Post
    Been using Windows 8 and I do agree, I actually like 8 and think it's a good yet overly complex OS. The reason why it'll be a huge flop is because Businesses AND Individuals will feel alienated by it and not want to upgrade, a lot like Vista really, I've also noticed that their are a lot of problems with things such as legacy apps and drivers which will scare people away to no end. As much as Microsoft may want to sell a bunch of tablets, that market is insanely small compared to Desktop and Laptop users. People who use tablets are going to prefer an iPad or even an Android tablet because their more worried about being stylish (Have we learned nothing from the Zune?) and even more so, simply don't care about the benefits of a more complex OS like Windows. It MAY end up being a hit but I really, really doubt it.
    I am afraid you are wrong. I think they are selling 10 mobile devices for every one PC. Have a look at the nums:

    Attachment 3909
    LOL'd at this graph, iOS nor Android have even been around for 9 years, nor have PC's had anywhere near those small of numbers recently, in fact, in just 2010, Windows PC shipments were at about 350 million. You've been reading way too many tech blogs by hipsters with iPads. I get it bro, you like Windows 8, that doesn't mean other people do, and it doesn't make it a success. You have way too much faith in Microsoft, Vista wasn't THAT many years ago...

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #252


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    I have to dig up more recent numbers. Year 4 on that chart was 2009.

    And yes I think Windows 8 is interesting - at least for me. I have my reservations though how that may go over with big corporations that dread the training cost for their people and with mom and pap that only want to send mails to their grandchildren. But the latter I will find out soon. In my computer club there are nearly 800 members over 60 and next Thursday I will give a (positiv) Win8 preview to some of them. Will see how they react.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #253


    Posts : 228
    Black Label 7x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Batjoke100 View Post
    LOL'd at this graph, iOS nor Android have even been around for 9 years, nor have PC's had anywhere near those small of numbers recently, in fact, in just 2010, Windows PC shipments were at about 350 million. You've been reading way too many tech blogs by hipsters with iPads. I get it bro, you like Windows 8, that doesn't mean other people do, and it doesn't make it a success. You have way too much faith in Microsoft, Vista wasn't THAT many years ago...
    No, MS sold 350 million licenses in 2010. That's not the same as PC shipments, and no one knows how many of those licenses were upgrades. Smartphones outsold PCs for the first time ever in 2010. The popularity of phones and tablets is unquestionable, it's not just hipsters with iPads.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #254


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)

    Subjective


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I would differentiate between the question whether XP is a good OS and how much usage it has.

    It definitely is widely used because it has been around for such a long time and people got used to it. And that despite the fact that it is a very poor system in all regards.
    That is entirely subjective.
    A lot of people love cider, I hate it.
    Does that mean cider is good, or bad?

    If XP is so bad, why didn't everyone swap to Linux or Mac?
    If Vista is so much better than XP, why did so many people revert to XP?
    XP is the most successful desktop OS in history.

    There is a difference between "random change" and "improvement".
    XP vs Vista
    Vista had worse performance and a more annoying GUI.
    Vista had massive hardware requirements (compared to XP).
    XP vs W7
    W7 improved security and multi-core CPU perfromance.
    Vista vs W7
    W7 has improved security performance and reduced hardware requirements.
    GUI is less annoying.
    W8 vs W7
    W8 has improved performance and (allegedly) improved security.
    GUI has been modified to make it more annoying.

    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    The UI is completely illogical.
    "Read-only" means "read only" in XP.
    It doesn't in W7 (I haven't tried it in W8).

    That applies to ALL MS products (the ones I remember using).
    There are two separate Control Panels in W8.

    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    Man do I ever agree, XP is so ten years ago.
    Wheels are so prehistoric.

    Quote Originally Posted by area 66 View Post
    Agree, they should make a 7 service pack with the ISO munting option and I will be very please with my 7
    Don't forget the optimised performance code (better speed and reduced RAM usage).

    Quote Originally Posted by area 66 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Eater View Post
    Why should those people update in the first place?
    Because their PC becomes obsolete with time, where can you purchase a Windows XP today? They are forced to change. Anyway just wait to see the results of the sales, we will know who is right and wrong. I'm still installing Windows XP in new Dell pcs, business purchases, if I say no they gone ask someone else.
    Don't forget that some of the "actual" Windows OS code, has been optimised for improved performance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
    For some reason you think I'm the one who wants to live in the past, except you don't even seem to realize Windows went through this icon mess two decades ago, which is why they created the Start Menu in the first place. Metro doesn't fundamentally change anything about the Start Menu except make it the size of the entire screen and you get live tiles. Whoopdy *bleeping* doo. I'm interested in a truly fundamental redesign, not a superficial one.


    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
    No, MS sold 350 million licenses in 2010. That's not the same as PC shipments, and no one knows how many of those licenses were upgrades. Smartphones outsold PCs for the first time ever in 2010. The popularity of phones and tablets is unquestionable, it's not just hipsters with iPads.
    There's a difference between a saturated market and an unsaturated one.
    That graph demonstrates the "Disco Stu Fallacy".
    "Did you know that disco record sales were up 400% for the year ending 1976? If these trends continue ... AAY!"
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #255


    Posts : 16
    Windows 7: Professional - Service Pack 1 (Soon to be Windows 8: Release Preview)


    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Batjoke100 View Post
    LOL'd at this graph, iOS nor Android have even been around for 9 years, nor have PC's had anywhere near those small of numbers recently, in fact, in just 2010, Windows PC shipments were at about 350 million. You've been reading way too many tech blogs by hipsters with iPads. I get it bro, you like Windows 8, that doesn't mean other people do, and it doesn't make it a success. You have way too much faith in Microsoft, Vista wasn't THAT many years ago...
    No, MS sold 350 million licenses in 2010. That's not the same as PC shipments, and no one knows how many of those licenses were upgrades. Smartphones outsold PCs for the first time ever in 2010. The popularity of phones and tablets is unquestionable, it's not just hipsters with iPads.
    Even so, Licenses = $$$ for Microsoft and I would bet most of those are OEM's in new PC's. I know Smartphones and Tablets are unquestionablely popular right now, i'm not saying they aren't. I'm just saying that the PC market is alive and well and that Windows is successful as it is right now. More importantly, Windows will just never control a large portion of the Tablet market because the people who buy tablets are not looking for a complex OS like Windows but instead a stylish secondary device (see: iPad and even Android Tabs), the worst part is that Windows 8 on ARM will lack the one thing that it has over it's competitors which is a compatibility with the wealth of apps that Windows has, instead they'll be left with probably only a few thousand apps at launch.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #256


    Posts : 1,308
    Windows 8 enterprise x64


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I cannot speak for 'millions of people' - I can only speak for myself. I let MS worry about the millions. If they think it is OK with the millions, that's fine with me. And do I care about the millions - really not..
    The topic of this tread is about if MS is making the biggest flop ever. So we have to know if peoples will like Windows 8, not your or my personal choice. This is a Windows 8 forum, this is not representative, I guess peoples are here because they are using Windows 8, on general forums, peoples dislike what Microsoft did with Windows 8, so if MS donít change their mind, well we will see what happen, better they start to work on the after crises OS. If peoples donít buy it, how MS will look; not in the phone market, not in the tablet market, and losing credibility in the PC market.
    Look at this article


    9 growing threats to the success of Windows 8

    In Depth: iPad, Android and even Windows 7: can Windows 8 win out?


    especially # 8 and 9

    8. Windows 7

    9. Shortsighted thinking



    9 growing threats to the success of Windows 8 | News | TechRadar

    ,



      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #257


    Posts : 228
    Black Label 7x64


    Batjoke, I agree with you, just being anal about it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #258


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    The ARM market will indeed be interesting to watch. The lack of apps could be a BIG inhibitor because Apple is way ahead in that regard - and they control it well, unlike Android where Apps can be a nightmare.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #259


    Earth - I wish I was on Risa
    Posts : 78
    Windows 7 Enterprise (x64), Windows 8 Enterprise (x64), Windows Server 2012


    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post

    I don't know where you were at the time. I have lived thru the whole Win7 Beta and never heard such a statement. If I remember right, there was nothing but praise. Maybe there were a few guys that made derogative comments who only knew Win7 from hearsay - the same crowd like the one in the Mojave project.
    +1 I never heard any bad things about Windows 7 while testing and I was in it from the very start.
    Look at the various "Windows Explorer Scroll Bug" threads on the MS sites.
    People were complaining that MS ignored them during W7 testing.
    Apparently one of the bugs pre-dated the Vista RTM.

    People are still complaining about W7 today.
    Here's a comment from the 3rd of March 2012
    Turtle
    Checked your link, what is the complaint?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #260


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    I doubt very much the average person buys an iPad for the apps, its more for web browsing, music and videos, facebook and twitter,and some games like Angry Birds. I,m sure there will be enough apps by the time ARM hits the market.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

This will be Microsofts biggest ever flop, far bigger than Vista.
Related Threads
Solved Biggest bug ever maybe? in General Support
Ok so here is the deal I have 2 separate hardrives both 1tb drives.....1 has windows 8.1 other is used for storage... but here is the strangest thing ever. All I did was set my other computer to read the storage drive in home groups and now it shows i have 3 TB drives.. I even put like 600mb in the...
This will be a rant, or some thoughts I have on tablets, Microsoft, Ram and Hard drives, and the direction Microsoft and others are going. I'm a PC user, that doesn't own a smartphone or table either windows or android. I have been looking at windows tablets and android tablets in general to get...
W8 on iPad- the biggest mystery in Drivers & Hardware
Okay, I've researched this online for an hour, and have found old posts from February through April 2012 that iPad will NOT get windows 8 on it... Technically it's possible and impossible at the same time. I'm wondering if there is any NEW info on this, and if it will eventually be possible or...
Read more at source: Top 10 biggest drawbacks of Windows RT | Microsoft - CNET News See also: https://www.eightforums.com/windows-8-news/10376-7-reasons-why-windows-rt-works.html
:cry: This is bad - what are you suppose to do - im so angry - i dont think i will sleep - drivers wont install - dissappear on my laptop via Windows Update. On my pc i just got avermedia hybrid tv driver to install but it took 15 minutes as it loaded at snails pace, after several attempts (about...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook