Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


This will be Microsofts biggest ever flop, far bigger than Vista.

  1. #1111


    Quote Originally Posted by R0bR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
    This article shows why corporations and many users will stick or go to Windows 7 instead of using or deploying Windows 8, so why is it irrelevant?
    Several reasons:

    1. Regardless of what Windows 8 is or isn't, likes or dislikes, corporations don't upgrade to the next version of Windows for some time hence why many are still using XP.

    2. More often than not corporations wait for at least SP1 before planning any kind of migration anyways.

    3. Windows 8 is targeted to the general consumer, Microsoft has even gone on record saying that they expect Windows 7 to continue at the enterprise with Windows 8 only used as companion devices (ie. Tablets). The fact that it CAN be used at the enterprise is moot, it is Windows after all.

    4. People that attend a TechMentor conference do not speak for the general Windows user that Windows 8 is targeted for.

    This thread is about Windows 8 flopping worse than Vista, the article is not negative towards Windows 8. Unless of course you read just the heading and make an assumption. There is nothing in this article that discuss Windows 8 flopping, it just re-iterates that corporations will treat upgrades just as they've always done.
    Thank you, R0bR. I believe it to be very wise and well rounded post.

    Vista was a flop so far as technical use and stability for the most part, but not as a revenue failure for MS. We know that and so did/does MS. However, they did make up for it with 7 in a very timely manner to make what? More revenue.

    I believe we should all face the fact that 8 is aimed for the general consumer market and not for enterprise. We know that and I think MS does as well as you expounded on. I think they have a 9 in plan to fulfill that market.

    MS is and has to head in the touch implementation direction. After all Apple did and their sales show that. This is the future. I feel 8 will not be MS's biggest seller, but it won't be a flop either. They'll make revenue with it just as they always have.

    For the record -> This thread is 28 pages long at most posts per page setting. It is probably the longest thread on the forum. Will there be no conclusion? Probably not, since it's all based on opinions.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #1112


    Posts : 92
    Windows 10 (64 bit)


    Quote Originally Posted by R0bR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
    This article shows why corporations and many users will stick or go to Windows 7 instead of using or deploying Windows 8, so why is it irrelevant?
    Several reasons:

    1. Regardless of what Windows 8 is or isn't, likes or dislikes, corporations don't upgrade to the next version of Windows for some time hence why many are still using XP.

    2. More often than not corporations wait for at least SP1 before planning any kind of migration anyways.

    3. Windows 8 is targeted to the general consumer, Microsoft has even gone on record saying that they expect Windows 7 to continue at the enterprise with Windows 8 only used as companion devices (ie. Tablets). The fact that it CAN be used at the enterprise is moot, it is Windows after all.

    4. People that attend a TechMentor conference do not speak for the general Windows user that Windows 8 is targeted for.

    This thread is about Windows 8 flopping worse than Vista, the article is not negative towards Windows 8. Unless of course you read just the heading and make an assumption. There is nothing in this article that discuss Windows 8 flopping, it just re-iterates that corporations will treat upgrades just as they've always done.
    In the article it states:

    But it does indicate a repeat of history for what we've seen with Windows releases, the original-cast "Star Trek" movie pattern where every other version was beloved and the ones in between decidely not so. In Windows' history, Windows 95, Windows XP, and Windows 7 were loved; Windows ME, Windows Vista, and now Windows 8 (at least by reviewers) were hated. (Windows 98 was essentially a minor upgrade to Windows 95, and Windows 2000 was essentially a niche corporate version in its era, so neither counts.)

    But what do we actually love about Windows 7? Sometimes it's easier to see its charms (no pun intended) when looking back from the newest OS. For me, Windows 8 has crystalized the five Windows 7 features I love most...


    I believe this shows that reviewer dislikes Windows 8 and gives reasons why it will not be successful.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #1113


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Fair comment.

    It has had a kicking from a lot of reviewers.

    The public may be different.

    Perhaps there are a lot out there who just want a small device with little squares to stab at. As long as it takes them to Fbook, or wherever - they don't care about anything else.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #1114


    Posts : 142
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)


    If Windows 8 fails, it wont be because it is a 'bad' OS.

    It's not. Far from it.

    It'll be because it's 'too different' for so many.

    IMHO, anyway...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #1115


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    It is the implementation that is the problem.

    Easy for MS to improve - if they are persuaded to do so.

    That will take continual pressure - just giving in is useless.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #1116


    Posts : 738
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional


    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
    Windows 7 forever! Why Windows 7 is the next XP


    We love Windows 7: That's the message loud and clear from people this week at the TechMentor Conference held at Microsoft headquarters in Redmond, Wash. With Windows XP reaching end of life for support in April 2014, the plan for most organizations is to upgrade -- to Windows 7.

    Windows 7 forever! Why Windows 7 is the next XP | Microsoft Windows - InfoWorld
    This article is irrelevant to the thread topic.
    This article shows why corporations and many users will stick or go to Windows 7 instead of using or deploying Windows 8, so why is it irrelevant?
    The article sums things up quite accurately with the theme of 8 being a "Flop"! With one look most have simply called it quits when it comes to considering any upgrade to 8! The hesitance by the corporate world to upgrade versions isn't based on just waiting for the SP1 either. The time and money invested into existing softwares like office wares, 100s of workstations, etc. may simply be not within their present budget as well as the reworking of any special wares developed for their particular business that would need to see all new versions.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #1117


    Posts : 738
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Vista was a flop so far as technical use and stability for the most part, but not as a revenue failure for MS. We know that and so did/does MS. However, they did make up for it with 7 in a very timely manner to make what? More revenue.
    To the contrary! Vista was actually far more stable and secure then XP ever thought of being plus lacked the high volume of fixes needed to make it into a strong OS! In fact many who tried 7 simply ended going back and staying with it!

    7 in the end was the "OS you can run out of the box" seeing less need for error fixing! MS put far more effort into seeing things done right from the start rather then the flop of XP SP3 1,000 fixed long awaited for and the misstatement of minimum system specs required allowing OEMs to sell undergrade systems with Vista preinstalled ending up with negative reaction.

    As far as opinions there are as many as there are members on 8F! I knew from the start you would be hearing all sorts of them!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #1118


    Quote Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Vista was a flop so far as technical use and stability for the most part, but not as a revenue failure for MS. We know that and so did/does MS. However, they did make up for it with 7 in a very timely manner to make what? More revenue.
    To the contrary! Vista was actually far more stable and secure then XP ever thought of being plus lacked the high volume of fixes needed to make it into a strong OS! In fact many who tried 7 simply ended going back and staying with it!

    7 in the end was the "OS you can run out of the box" seeing less need for error fixing! MS put far more effort into seeing things done right from the start rather then the flop of XP SP3 1,000 fixed long awaited for and the misstatement of minimum system specs required allowing OEMs to sell undergrade systems with Vista preinstalled ending up with negative reaction.

    As far as opinions there are as many as there are members on 8F! I knew from the start you would be hearing all sorts of them!
    I'm sure you are absolutely correct from your point of view in the ascent, deviation, and/or declination of OSs. I'll admit you and others here and elsewhere are far more savvy when it comes to computer technicalities and experience.

    I jumped from 98SE on a Gateway to a new PC preloaded with Vista, so I don't know all the rest in between, although I heard from friends and read here and there about them. I'm a builder and was using a PC to run a business. So far as I'm concerned I was spending more time fixing the damn OS and other software running on it than I was using it. So from my point of view it was a flop. I was quite happy and relieved with 7 and continue to be.

    That's not an opinion -> That's a fact!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #1119


    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo
    Even the much derided humble netbook was quite capable of driving a decent size external monitor
    Yes, I agree, you can turn easily most recent tablets/netbooks/mini-laptops whatever you call them, into a (desktop) PC (which has by definition a monitor planted on your desk). That was my point exactely. And by doing so you will want to temporarily disable the touch-screen UI to get a more adapted Desktop UI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo
    but you don't always need a Tower
    As I said already, some poeple will want to have 2 tablets and no tower, other 2 towers and no tablet, or 2 towers and a smartphone and a laptop, others one smartphone and a tablet etc... I didn't say that everybody will always want a tower. Only that some poeple will still want them. Why? I don't know. Personaly I'd feel I miss something without a tower. That's how I feel on a laptop even a large one. I like solid hardware, interchageable and accessible like in a cupboard. I don;t like much fragile things where everything is cluttered on the tiniest space as possible. On a laptop we have at home, there are 2x2 USB slots (2 on each side) but most of the time you can use only once on each side because the slots are so close to each other that there is no room for two deices side by side!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #1120


    Posts : 835
    Win 8.1 Pro


    I will repost this that I put in another thread here, because I think it is relevant

    The whole point of Win8 (as if it is not obvious) is to have an integrated UI experience across all platforms.
    (ie. Phone, Desktop, Tablet, Xbox, possibly other devices that someone throws out with WinRT)

    The synch integration of the tablet to desktop and vice-versa with personalization/passwords, IE settings, Explorer Settings and possibly with the next Xbox UI update are pretty interesting.

    We will not completely find out how effective or popular this will all be till probably at least April or May 2013.

    I think around that time will say all there is to say about the success or failure of Windows 8.

    Not to mention Server 2012
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

This will be Microsofts biggest ever flop, far bigger than Vista.
Related Threads
Solved Biggest bug ever maybe? in General Support
Ok so here is the deal I have 2 separate hardrives both 1tb drives.....1 has windows 8.1 other is used for storage... but here is the strangest thing ever. All I did was set my other computer to read the storage drive in home groups and now it shows i have 3 TB drives.. I even put like 600mb in the...
This will be a rant, or some thoughts I have on tablets, Microsoft, Ram and Hard drives, and the direction Microsoft and others are going. I'm a PC user, that doesn't own a smartphone or table either windows or android. I have been looking at windows tablets and android tablets in general to get...
W8 on iPad- the biggest mystery in Drivers & Hardware
Okay, I've researched this online for an hour, and have found old posts from February through April 2012 that iPad will NOT get windows 8 on it... Technically it's possible and impossible at the same time. I'm wondering if there is any NEW info on this, and if it will eventually be possible or...
Read more at source: Top 10 biggest drawbacks of Windows RT | Microsoft - CNET News See also: https://www.eightforums.com/windows-8-news/10376-7-reasons-why-windows-rt-works.html
:cry: This is bad - what are you suppose to do - im so angry - i dont think i will sleep - drivers wont install - dissappear on my laptop via Windows Update. On my pc i just got avermedia hybrid tv driver to install but it took 15 minutes as it loaded at snails pace, after several attempts (about...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook