Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


This will be Microsofts biggest ever flop, far bigger than Vista.

  1. #1011


    Posts : 92
    Windows 10 (64 bit)


    Windows 8 will be another disaster for Microsoft

    ...Windows 8 promises to become a replay of Microsoft Bob, Windows ME, and Windows Vista all rolled into one. It's ugly and hard to use, so I believe that a lot of consumers and especially enterprise users will reject it.

    By ugly, I mean that the colours of the desktop are nauseating and the blocky rectangular desktop layout, while it might be somewhat suited for smartphones and tablets, is all wrong as a desktop motif.
    There's so much wrong with Windows 8 usability that a brief column like this can't even begin to address it in detail, so I'll just say that I think Microsoft's ham-handed attempt to force tablet and especially PC users to work within the limited screen space available on smartphone displays is destined to fail.

    Full article at:

    Windows 8 will be another disaster for Microsoft - The Inquirer

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #1012


    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
    Windows 8 will be another disaster for Microsoft

    By ugly, I mean that the colours of the desktop are nauseating and the blocky rectangular desktop layout, while it might be somewhat suited for smartphones and tablets, is all wrong as a desktop motif.

    Except you got it all wrong. Who really uses "desktops" nowadays? Everything is mobile. Tablets are the future.

    Windows 8 works perfectly fine with touchpad also (laptops), so Microsoft would kill itself if they would have done another "desktop", "laptop" OS as usually. Noone even cares about desktops any more (maybe only gamers, but why not get the console instead)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #1013


    Posts : 21
    windows7 x 64 windows 8 x 64


    Quote Originally Posted by kala View Post
    Except you got it all wrong. Who really uses "desktops" nowadays? Everything is mobile. Tablets are the future.

    Windows 8 works perfectly fine with touchpad also (laptops), so Microsoft would kill itself if they would have done another "desktop", "laptop" OS as usually. Noone even cares about desktops any more (maybe only gamers, but why not get the console instead)
    You are correct Kala, the future is upon us and many are going to kick and scream, I was one of them. When I first saw windows 8 I tossed my lunch with metro screen, but I have been using it. Have it set up for me needs and hot roded the desktop with classic shell for my love of that environment. Now I can learn the RT interface in small doses but I pretty much have it all worked out now. It's not hard to learn at all, just takes a few steps and pretty soon our off the races. It runs ridiculously fast in Virtual environment and even faster on my desktop. I have not put it on my new main rig yet I'm waiting for the official release I signed up for. Maybe its my pure visceral hatred for Mac that makes me like it more and trust me I HATE MAC, and I have dear friends that use them. I'll admit MS has a habit of dropping bombs on the public like a bunch of retarded gorilla's but MS had to get into this market period. Billions of dollars at stake, it's a shame it took them this long. Windows 8 will not be the bust some are almost praying it to be but they could still screw everything up if that app store is anemic.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #1014


    Posts : 7
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Win 8 Enterprise RTM x64


    Quote Originally Posted by kala View Post
    Noone even cares about desktops any more (maybe only gamers, but why not get the console instead)
    Consoles have a long way to go before they come up to speed with most newer graphics cards in desktops.
    Last edited by Vipermk2; 25 Aug 2012 at 11:58.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #1015


    Posts : 92
    Windows 10 (64 bit)


    Quote Originally Posted by kala View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
    Windows 8 will be another disaster for Microsoft

    By ugly, I mean that the colours of the desktop are nauseating and the blocky rectangular desktop layout, while it might be somewhat suited for smartphones and tablets, is all wrong as a desktop motif.

    Except you got it all wrong. Who really uses "desktops" nowadays? Everything is mobile. Tablets are the future.

    Windows 8 works perfectly fine with touchpad also (laptops), so Microsoft would kill itself if they would have done another "desktop", "laptop" OS as usually. Noone even cares about desktops any more (maybe only gamers, but why not get the console instead)
    Tablets and smartphones have their place, but a lot of home, business and office productivity work can still be done better on a desktop. I do not like the "Metro" interface for a desktop. Microsoft could have easily added a Windows 7 interface to Windows 8, and let users choose what is best for their uses. Perhaps as the applications for the Metro interface developed more desktop users would have tried the Metro interface, but by completely eliminating an interface that users have grown accustomed to does not make any sense.
    Last edited by PaulGo; 25 Aug 2012 at 20:22.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #1016


    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kala View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
    Windows 8 will be another disaster for Microsoft

    By ugly, I mean that the colours of the desktop are nauseating and the blocky rectangular desktop layout, while it might be somewhat suited for smartphones and tablets, is all wrong as a desktop motif.

    Except you got it all wrong. Who really uses "desktops" nowadays? Everything is mobile. Tablets are the future.

    Windows 8 works perfectly fine with touchpad also (laptops), so Microsoft would kill itself if they would have done another "desktop", "laptop" OS as usually. Noone even cares about desktops any more (maybe only gamers, but why not get the console instead)
    Tablets and smartphones have their place, but a lot of home, business and office productivity work can still be done better on a desktop. I do not like the "Metro" interface for a desktop. Microsoft could have easily added a Windows 7 interface to Windows 8, and let users choose what is best for their uses. Perhaps as the applications for the Metro interface developed more desktop users would have tried the Metro interface, but by completing eliminating an interface that users have grown accustomed to does not make any sense.
    Lot of offices use notebooks these days also you know.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #1017


    Posts : 534
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP


    Quote Originally Posted by Vipermk2 View Post
    Consoles have a long way to go before they come up to speed with most newer graphics cards in desktops.
    It's not that consoles can't be made to have the same speeds in processing or graphic performance than desktops, that's easy to do. Considering that an Xbox cost less than a high end graphics card how will they ever sell a console as powerful as a PC? Rumor has it that according to leaked specs the next Xbox, supposedly due out in the next couple of years, is 6 times faster than the current one. That's not going to get it any closer to PCs but then again it will probably cost a third of the price of a top end gaming rig.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #1018


    Quote Originally Posted by kala View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
    Windows 8 will be another disaster for Microsoft

    By ugly, I mean that the colours of the desktop are nauseating and the blocky rectangular desktop layout, while it might be somewhat suited for smartphones and tablets, is all wrong as a desktop motif.

    Except you got it all wrong. Who really uses "desktops" nowadays? Everything is mobile. Tablets are the future.

    Windows 8 works perfectly fine with touchpad also (laptops), so Microsoft would kill itself if they would have done another "desktop", "laptop" OS as usually. Noone even cares about desktops any more (maybe only gamers, but why not get the console instead)
    Who really uses desktops? Are you serious man? There are not just millions but billions of desktops still being built and used, WAY more than tablets IMO. Nothing, and I mean nothing will be replacing the desktop PC platform anytime soon. Period, end of discussion.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #1019


    IMO this frenzy about the tablets and smartphones is way overblown. Sure, they are formidable little pieces of technology but seriousely, not everybody needs them. Going mobile? Most of poeple arrive at the office at 8:30 and at 4:45 pm, they are already leaving, totaly forgetting their job until the next working day. Very few poeple have a profession that justify going mobile. Most poeple who have a laptop only occasionaly carry it outside of their home. Students and teacher carry them between home and college. Mobility is useful but they do need a normal laptop not a tablet which is a physical handicap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Go
    I'll just say that I think Microsoft's ham-handed attempt to force tablet and especially PC users to work within the limited screen space available on smartphone displays is destined to fail.
    Metro is a gadget interface designed for gadgets. That's why it's closer to BB than anything else. Of course there are poeple who like gadgets and ludicrious stuffs so there must be poeple who like the Metro Start Screen. But as a primary OS for computer?! It's not serious!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #1020


    Posts : 534
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP


    Quote Originally Posted by Fredledingue View Post
    IMO this frenzy about the tablets and smartphones is way overblown.
    http://mashable.com/2011/01/05/forrester-tablet-sales/

    This article came out last January 2011, it predicted that by the end of 2011 just over 20 million tablets would be sold but instead it was 66 million tablets. The article predicts that tablets will eclipse PCs by a wide margin, although their numbers are off the trend is there. Why wouldn't Microsoft want a piece of that market share and why wouldn't they focus on Metro over the desktop given stats like these?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

This will be Microsofts biggest ever flop, far bigger than Vista.
Related Threads
Solved Biggest bug ever maybe? in General Support
Ok so here is the deal I have 2 separate hardrives both 1tb drives.....1 has windows 8.1 other is used for storage... but here is the strangest thing ever. All I did was set my other computer to read the storage drive in home groups and now it shows i have 3 TB drives.. I even put like 600mb in the...
This will be a rant, or some thoughts I have on tablets, Microsoft, Ram and Hard drives, and the direction Microsoft and others are going. I'm a PC user, that doesn't own a smartphone or table either windows or android. I have been looking at windows tablets and android tablets in general to get...
W8 on iPad- the biggest mystery in Drivers & Hardware
Okay, I've researched this online for an hour, and have found old posts from February through April 2012 that iPad will NOT get windows 8 on it... Technically it's possible and impossible at the same time. I'm wondering if there is any NEW info on this, and if it will eventually be possible or...
Read more at source: Top 10 biggest drawbacks of Windows RT | Microsoft - CNET News See also: https://www.eightforums.com/windows-8-news/10376-7-reasons-why-windows-rt-works.html
:cry: This is bad - what are you suppose to do - im so angry - i dont think i will sleep - drivers wont install - dissappear on my laptop via Windows Update. On my pc i just got avermedia hybrid tv driver to install but it took 15 minutes as it loaded at snails pace, after several attempts (about...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook