Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


one users screen is too small to read anothers is too big.

  1. #1


    Posts : 3
    windows 8.1

    one users screen is too small to read anothers is too big.


    I have a new HP Envy and there are 2 users. We have set up a start screen each with websites saved. When we access these one users text is too small to read but it can be enlarged each time it is accessed, the other users sc reen is too large and it cannot be made smaller. I want nboth users to have normal sized text and I want it to be fixed soi that it will not change.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 1,360
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise


    Hi sallye, Welcome to EightForums.

    If you are using Windows 8.1 Pro this setup is very easy to enforce. You can use Group Policy to disable the page zoom function.

    First, you'll want to open the Internet Explorer and press CTRL + 0 to reset the default zoom size for each user.

    Next, open Group Policy. To do this Press + S, type: gpedit.msc, click gpedit.msc to open Group Policy editor.

    In the left pane expand Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer

    Locate, Turn off page zooming functionality > set it to enabled then click Apply. Restart the computer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 3
    windows 8.1


    I have tried this. I have reset Internet explorer on my screen but my partner uses maxilla Firefox.

    I have tried the start + S and typing in gpedit.msc but it cannot find it? Is there any other way of accessing group policy editor?

    Sallye


    c
    Quote Originally Posted by ectech View Post
    Hi sallye, Welcome to EightForums.

    If you are using Windows 8.1 Pro this setup is very easy to enforce. You can use Group Policy to disable the page zoom function.

    First, you'll want to open the Internet Explorer and press CTRL + 0 to reset the default zoom size for each user.

    Next, open Group Policy. To do this Press + S, type: gpedit.msc, click gpedit.msc to open Group Policy editor.

    In the left pane expand Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer

    Locate, Turn off page zooming functionality > set it to enabled then click Apply. Restart the computer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 1,360
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise


    If search doesn't show gpedit.msc you probably have the standard version of Windows 8.1 which does not include Group Policy editor.

    CTRL + 0 will also reset the zoom on Mozilla Firefox. But you cannot restrict it's use.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    Quote Originally Posted by ectech View Post
    If search doesn't show gpedit.msc you probably have the standard version of Windows 8.1 which does not include Group Policy editor.

    CTRL + 0 will also reset the zoom on Mozilla Firefox. But you cannot restrict it's use.
    Actually you can through the registry. The changing of the settings on the browser, should not affect the other users. Sounds like users are changing the desktop resolution, not the browser.

    Firefox should have a database file for each user in their Roaming directory. Sounds like a little tweaking is needed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 1,720
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    If you would like to lock 'zoom' in Firefox:
    In Firefox, open a blank tab and type 'about:config' (without the quotes) into the address bar and press Enter, on the warning, click on 'Yes, I promise to be careful'; then, scroll all the way to the bottom. You will be looking for these two entries:

    Attachment 38923

    Double click on each entry, change the value to 100 in each dialog box and click OK on each.
    Close and restart Firefox.

    (If you wish to reset them to their defaults, right click on them and choose 'Reset')
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 3
    windows 8.1


    Many thanks that has solved my problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    If you would like to lock 'zoom' in Firefox:
    In Firefox, open a blank tab and type 'about:config' (without the quotes) into the address bar and press Enter, on the warning, click on 'Yes, I promise to be careful'; then, scroll all the way to the bottom. You will be looking for these two entries:

    Attachment 38923

    Double click on each entry, change the value to 100 in each dialog box and click OK on each.
    Close and restart Firefox.

    (If you wish to reset them to their defaults, right click on them and choose 'Reset')
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

one users screen is too small to read anothers is too big.
Related Threads
Solved Help with multiple users login screen! in User Accounts and Family Safety
How do you change Windows 8 to startup with the list of users on the computer rather than the user who logged in last? I know you can hit the back button but it's just annoying adding unnecessary steps to logging in. Does anyone know how to change this?
Solved How do I switch users at login screen?? Need help! in User Accounts and Family Safety
Ok I have a situation. I recently bought some laptops for my employees. I used to work in IT so i'm not technically challenged. But I have been out of the game for a few years so I haven't been keeping up with the latest stuff (i.e. windows 8). Anyway on to my problem. One of the employees that I...
Hi, New at this site and with windows 8.1, quite a change from XP. I am setting up a alienate PC and I would like to copy the start page (metro) that I have set to an additional user, I did copy my appsfolder.itemdata-ms to C:\user\microsoft\....appsfolder.itemdata-ms but I still do not get the...
Hi all, I would like to configure the start screen to display some installed apps by default for all users accounts. For example I want every user on my computer to have Office in the start screen by default as they will want it anyway. How do I do this? I have seen lots of suggestion for adding...
Logon Screen with multiple users in User Accounts and Family Safety
Hi All. I installed the Release Preview for Win 8 (x64) on one of our family computers today. I had been using it on my laptop for a bit, and decided to see what everyone else thought. My question is this: Is there any way to set the logon screen to display the user profiles to choose from...
The main screen after creating the separate login name (non admin) a lot of the tiles in another language.. I went to the language settings in the control panel... and it says english.. heres the screenshot! please help! :(:( <<it should be all english like the admin acct. but it isnt? please...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook