Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Will my rig support Windows 8.1?

  1. #1


    India
    Posts : 8
    Win 8.1 Pro

    Will my rig support Windows 8.1?


    My rig is mentioned already in my profile (X58 based system, Asus Sabertooth motherboard). Can I use Windows 8.1 x64 on my rig? I am currently a Windows 7 x64 user (for past 2 years actually)

    Thanks,
    Saurav.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    UK
    Posts : 333
    Windows Server 2012 R2 / 8.1


    Yes, it will be a breeze for you to run Windows 8/8.1

    Windows 8.1

    If you want to run Windows 8.1 on your PC, here's what it takes:

    • Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)
    • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
    • Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    • Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver




    You can use the Microsoft compatibly centre to check your hardware and any devices you might have, this website also links you to the Microsoft upgrade assistant

    Windows Compatibility Center

    Click image for larger version
    Click image for larger version
    Click image for larger version


    Cheers,
    Harry
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 1,883
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1


    If you do an upgrade install and not a clean install, do yourself a huge favor and uninstall Norton first, then use the removal tool from them for it.

    All of your stuff is as good as gold on 8 or 8.1 or any operating system in the future for at the very least 5 years and likely much longer.

    I advise against using Norton once Windows 8 or 8.1 is running, but if you decide to re-install it once one of them is, more power to ya then.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by ithehappy View Post
    My rig is mentioned already in my profile (X58 based system, Asus Sabertooth motherboard). Can I use Windows 8.1 x64 on my rig? I am currently a Windows 7 x64 user (for past 2 years actually)

    Thanks,
    Saurav.
    Hi, Saurev. You're probably good to go, as the others have said. However, I thought I was good too, but a small gotcha changed my mind . . .

    If I'm correct, your motherboard is much newer than my Intel DG33 which I dual booted with Windows 7 x64 and Windows 8 x64. After searching for and installing all the Win 8 updates, I went to the "store" to get Win 8.1. I was told my computer wouldn't support Win 8.1 x64!

    I backed off that and was able to install Windows 8.1 x86. Since this was a test bed machine, it wasn't a huge problem for me, but needless to say, it was a shock!

    Not to say your system will do the same, but it's good to be forewarned.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    India
    Posts : 8
    Win 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Harrylowt View Post
    Yes, it will be a breeze for you to run Windows 8/8.1

    Windows 8.1

    If you want to run Windows 8.1 on your PC, here's what it takes:

    • Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)
    • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
    • Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    • Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver




    You can use the Microsoft compatibly centre to check your hardware and any devices you might have, this website also links you to the Microsoft upgrade assistant

    Windows Compatibility Center

    Click image for larger version
    Click image for larger version
    Click image for larger version

    Cheers,
    Harry
    That's great and thanks a lot for doing the compatibility check for me. All I need are the drivers of my motherboard, and as I see there won't be any problem at all. Wow, I am excited. It's been at least 2 months since I purchased it, but forgot, just found the DVD and remembered, thus this topic.

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    If you do an upgrade install and not a clean install, do yourself a huge favor and uninstall Norton first, then use the removal tool from them for it.

    All of your stuff is as good as gold on 8 or 8.1 or any operating system in the future for at the very least 5 years and likely much longer.

    I advise against using Norton once Windows 8 or 8.1 is running, but if you decide to re-install it once one of them is, more power to ya then.
    Hello there. Actually I never upgrade, I always do a clean install. So NIS won't create any issues I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ithehappy View Post
    My rig is mentioned already in my profile (X58 based system, Asus Sabertooth motherboard). Can I use Windows 8.1 x64 on my rig? I am currently a Windows 7 x64 user (for past 2 years actually)

    Thanks,
    Saurav.
    Hi, Saurev. You're probably good to go, as the others have said. However, I thought I was good too, but a small gotcha changed my mind . . .

    If I'm correct, your motherboard is much newer than my Intel DG33 which I dual booted with Windows 7 x64 and Windows 8 x64. After searching for and installing all the Win 8 updates, I went to the "store" to get Win 8.1. I was told my computer wouldn't support Win 8.1 x64!

    I backed off that and was able to install Windows 8.1 x86. Since this was a test bed machine, it wasn't a huge problem for me, but needless to say, it was a shock!

    Not to say your system will do the same, but it's good to be forewarned.
    Okay thaks for you input, but I don't think I will face any issues. Win 8.1 is running fine on my i3 lappy, however it's pretty new.

    Btw, help this idiot one more time. Could you guys suggest me a software with which I will be able to take backup of my C drive only? I mean there are loads of stuffs on my desktop, (I mean especially those which are not installed as a programme, text files, pdf files those kind), which will be a PITA to copy manually to other places. So I would really love if I can find a software which will clone the C drive.

    Thanks,
    Saurav.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 1,883
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1


    I give recommendations to Clonezilla. See if that fits your needs and maybe others will suggest something too. But ya, CZ is excellent.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    India
    Posts : 8
    Win 8.1 Pro


    Thanks MasterChief. Clonezilla it is.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    UK
    Posts : 333
    Windows Server 2012 R2 / 8.1


    Yep good call master. I can't really recommend a free one i have always used paid for ones with the company i happen to be working for.

    Hope everything on the upgrade goes well for you

    Cheers,
    Harry
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    I give recommendations to Clonezilla. See if that fits your needs and maybe others will suggest something too. But ya, CZ is excellent.
    That place is very confusing . . . I thought I was being very careful, but I wound up downloading and installing "Browser Guard" instead of Clonezilla! Had to uninstall the crapware!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    India
    Posts : 8
    Win 8.1 Pro


    Oops this is confusing. So which one should I use? I bumped on this article, is that Macrium one good as it says on the article?
    Best Free Drive Cloning Software
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Will my rig support Windows 8.1?
Related Threads
When I installed Win8 on one computer I need a H.P. printer driver. So I went to H.P. support/download did not find the needed driver so I called their Tech. support. A friendly support guy looked at my system and told me my copy of Microsoft Win8 bought at Best Buy was not a legit copy, also my...
More... See also: How to Enable or Disable Pop-up Help Tips in Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1
Hyper-V Support in Windows 8 in Windows 8 News
More... How to Create a Virtual Machine with Windows 8 Hyper-V How to Create a Linux Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 8 How to Create a Hyper-V "Remote File Browser" Shortcut in Windows 8 How to Add or Remove "Hyper-V Manager" to Control Panel in Windows 8
Windows 8 Support in General Support
Hi all, I'm really hoping someone can help me with the two issue's I have below. 1. Forgotten admin password. I have two accounts set up on windows 8, 1 with admin privileges and the other being standard. Unfortunately me being the idiotic prat I am sometimes I've forgotten the password...
I have just been Surface tablet. But I don't understand why Microsoft don't support calculator. I think it is import. We need calculate anything!!! :think:
Windows 8 PAE support? in Drivers & Hardware
I am a Linux user, but this new Windows might yet convert me =) But I do have some problems. Apart from learning a new OS, this keeps worrying me: As I don't use Windows, I didn't really check what kind of a license I was getting. Turned out it was Windows 7 Starter which is only available in...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook