Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Keyboard layout?

  1. #1

    Keyboard layout?


    How do I change the keyboard layout to UK layout? I have to use " key for @ and vice versa at the moment. Thanks.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    USA, Idaho
    Posts : 1,062
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)


    You could check with the keyboard manufacture to see (if not already none so) to see if there is an upgrade or a patch. Good Luck
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    You could check with the keyboard manufacture to see (if not already none so) to see if there is an upgrade or a patch. Good Luck
    Unfortunately that's not a viable option as my laptop manufacturers are Acer and they are not going rush to offer me an upgrade or a patch. The problem is I have been offered only US English as my selection of language, the keyboard layouts are slightly different in UK, all I can do at the moment is to put up with the minor inconvenience until the final release of Win8.
    BTW Win8 DP was much better and had no problems.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    USA, Idaho
    Posts : 1,062
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)


    I can understand, it will probably be sometime be MS gets their act together. Hopefully they will get enough complaints and issues a patch for your problem.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    A Finnish ex-pat in Leipzig, Germany
    Posts : 1,452
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    To add / delete / change keyboard layouts:

    Input Methods - Add or Remove for Keyboard Layout in Windows 8


    1. Open Control Panel. Hover pointer on bottom left corner, right click when you see Start button with miniature image of Metro screen, select Control Panel:
      .
      Click image for larger version
      .
    2. Switch to icon view, select Language:
      .
      Click image for larger version
      .
    3. Click Options:
      .
      Click image for larger version
      .
    4. Click Add an input method:
      .
      Click image for larger version
      .
    5. Scroll down to keyboard layout you want to install, click Preview to check how it looks, click Add to add to the input methods:
      .
      Click image for larger version
      .
    6. Close Language module & Control Panel
    7. Click the input language icon on notification area to change layouts as you wish:
      .
      Click image for larger version
      (I am using vertical taskbar on left, so above image might look funny to you... If you are using default horizontal taskbar you'll find the language icon a bit left from the time at bottom right.)

    Easy and fast!

    Kari
    Last edited by Brink; 02 Sep 2012 at 13:27. Reason: added link for more info
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Quote Originally Posted by brummyfan View Post
    How do I change the keyboard layout to UK layout? I have to use " key for @ and vice versa at the moment. Thanks.
    i just did it via the control panel with no hassle
    control panel - add a languages
    then ensure the uk one is at the top of the list or delete the us one

    edit
    ahhh just seen above post
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Thanks Kari and soundsound.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I can understand, it will probably be sometime be MS gets their act together. Hopefully they will get enough complaints and issues a patch for your problem.
    It was actually my mistake, I should have selected UK in the Time & Currency selection dropdown menu at the install screen, I found out this morning while installing in my desktop.
    Anyway, Thanks for trying to help me out.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 3
    win 8


    This old thread is close to my question and I will continue it rather than open a new topic.
    Switching between languages in Win8 is done by default with Alt+Shift and switching between keyboard layouts - with Ctrl+Shift. I am used to the opposite control, in WinXP and Win7 one can change the default toggle key combinations, but in Win8 I see nothing like that in Control Panel - Language.
    The icon showing current language icon is docked to the toolbar and cannot be moved around like in previous versions and does not show the current layout. I use 2 different layouts for my native language + one layout for English language and it is very annoying to guess which layout is currently selected.
    Any solution?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Quote Originally Posted by andrewa View Post
    This old thread is close to my question and I will continue it rather than open a new topic.
    Switching between languages in Win8 is done by default with Alt+Shift and switching between keyboard layouts - with Ctrl+Shift. I am used to the opposite control, in WinXP and Win7 one can change the default toggle key combinations, but in Win8 I see nothing like that in Control Panel - Language.
    The icon showing current language icon is docked to the toolbar and cannot be moved around like in previous versions and does not show the current layout. I use 2 different layouts for my native language + one layout for English language and it is very annoying to guess which layout is currently selected.
    Any solution?
    If you move your cursor over keyboard, you should be able to see the current layout.
    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Keyboard layout?
Related Threads
How to Make Standard Keyboard Layout Available in Touch Keyboard in Windows 8 and 8.1 You can use different keyboards with Windows to fit your needs. The most common is a physical, external keyboard that you plug into your PC. Windows 8 and Windows RT also include a touch keyboard for PCs with...
hello, i have a windows 8 laptop with a azerty- keyboard layout, recently i bougt another laptop which has a qwerty-layout. my problem is that i use my microsoft account to log in to the computers and so the keyboard layout keeps switching automatically to the last laptop i used. is there a...
Solved Choose your keyboard layout in General Support
17487 When I power up my HP Envy laptop with Windows 8 I'm asked to "Choose your keyboard layout" every time. Is there a way to stop this happening? Control Panel set for English (US).
Hello, i've been using windows 8.1 for a little time in my new Sony notebook. First, i used windows 8 and had no problems, my keyboard layout was the correct one (Spanish - Latin América, 'cause i'm from argentina). But after an upgrade to windows 8.1, the default layout was set to Traditional...
Though I set my Keyboard layout: Latin American, the US Keyboard layout is reappearing constantly. Please, how I can prevent my US Keyboard layout from bothering me? I do want: Keyboard layout: Latin American Windows display language: US Date, time and number formatting: US But I do...
Hello. Is there a way to switch to a different keyboard language for as long as a key/combo modifier is pressed? I only need like 4 letters from another layout. You can imagine how often I have to switch back and forth so I'd like a key just like shift, using another character on the same key.
Solved Keyboard layout! in General Support
Hello, I have the win8 upgrade (previous OS was win7 ultimate). The OS goes very well, so far, just a minor problem... From time to time I noticed there is installed a US keyboard, I am UK based and any setup keyboard/date etc are in UK format. Also when I installed the windows I selected...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook