Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Desktop Apps quit working, They just sit on the Taskbar

  1. #1


    Posts : 31
    Win8 Home

    Desktop Apps quit working, They just sit on the Taskbar


    I was unpinning many apps from my start screen. Now when I try to run an app (such as Computer, or Control Panel) it creates an entry on the desktop taskbar, but not on the desktop.

    I can't run anything on this Win8.0 desktop, except for IE. The only thing I can do with the taskbar icon is close the window.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 31
    Win8 Home


    I will try upgrading to Win8.1 ??? I can't seem to do anything else without tools of any kind.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 31
    Win8 Home


    Quote Originally Posted by pvc View Post
    I will try upgrading to Win8.1 ??? I can't seem to do anything else without tools of any kind.
    Well I think maybe I updated to Win 8.1??? I got a prompt to restart. But since I couldn't run anything on the desktop I used the power button to shutdown and restart. It ran for 15 minutes or so with a blank/black screen and finally the Win8 background screen came up.

    I still can't run any desktop app. So I can't even view any settings. I can run those Metro apps. Just not any desktop apps.

    Question: Is there any Microsoft Technicians in this forum? Maybe I'm posting in the wrong place?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 1,883
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1


    You have 2 monitors with one (or tv) turned off?

    If not, change your resolution to anything else. Save. Set it back to how it was and save again.

    If you have any monitor manipulation software installed, uninstall it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 31
    Win8 Home


    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    You have 2 monitors with one (or tv) turned off?

    If not, change your resolution to anything else. Save. Set it back to how it was and save again.

    If you have any monitor manipulation software installed, uninstall it.
    Yes, I have two monitors (2nd is HDMI to TV). I unplugged the HDMI cable and now I can run desktop apps. Thanks!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by pvc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pvc View Post
    I will try upgrading to Win8.1 ??? I can't seem to do anything else without tools of any kind.
    Well I think maybe I updated to Win 8.1??? I got a prompt to restart. But since I couldn't run anything on the desktop I used the power button to shutdown and restart. It ran for 15 minutes or so with a blank/black screen and finally the Win8 background screen came up.

    I still can't run any desktop app. So I can't even view any settings. I can run those Metro apps. Just not any desktop apps.

    Question: Is there any Microsoft Technicians in this forum? Maybe I'm posting in the wrong place?
    Have you tried Classic Shell:

    Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 31
    Win8 Home


    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    I will try Classic Shell now that I am no longer dead-in-the-water.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by pvc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    I will try Classic Shell now that I am no longer dead-in-the-water.
    It works good.

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 31
    Win8 Home


    I took a look at Classic Shell. It's third party software. I thought I would give Win8 a try before I start with mods. Maybe later after after I get settled-in I will try Classic Shell in a temporary image of Win8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 1,360
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise


    Classic Shell is a great little piece of software. I use Start8 by Stardock but basically the same idea. It's the first thing I install for any Windows 8 system.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Desktop Apps quit working, They just sit on the Taskbar
Related Threads
While using Internet Explorer in desktop mode I can browse for a few seconds and then the program disappears. It may reappear in a few minutes or sometime not at all. It is most annoying. Also my taskbar has disappeared and won't pop up when I put the cursor at the bottom of the screen. The...
Hi there Metro apps CAN be pinned to the desktop or added to a cascading menu via a custom toolbar so it's only a question of finding out what the executable is. You can mix these with standard apps too. This method works and DOESN'T NEED any 3rd party apps or Registry hacks !!!!! ...
Hello everyone. I bought the Asus Zenbook Touch (ux31a-bhi5t11) yesterday, and the 2 finger scrolling worked fine at first, but a couple hours later it just stopped working. I can scroll using the touch screen, but not the touch pad now. It's brand new, and I haven't touched any of the settings,...
IE opens, but doesn't function properly, won't display web pages and the settings are all greyed out. running 8.1 Pro with Media Center 64 bit. Ran SFC/Scan, but got the error that it found corrupt files but couldn't repair them. Then I couldn't find the file cbs.log to see. I also turned off IE11...
So I have been having issues with Fallout New Vegas crashing to the desktop whenever I run it on high graphics (the default in my case). I just got done cleaning a lot of dust and hair out of my computer's radiator (it is water cooled) and out of my GPU's heat sinks. Here are my system specs ...
metro apps quit working in Software and Apps
Some of my metro apps just quit working. The weather, fianace, sports and news apps just quit working. With the weather app, if I turn the tile to live it show the current temp...but when I go to open it, it just sits there and spins last count was 15 minutes and nothing.
How to quit those Metro Apps in General Support
Hi all, I have spend some time now to find out how to quit the new Metro Apps normally - Means don't shut them down using task Manager. Thanks in Advance Sincerely yours Oblomow
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook