Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 won't boot, try to reset asks fr windows 8 media

  1. #1


    By the Ocean
    Posts : 177
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64

    Windows 8 won't boot, try to reset asks fr windows 8 media


    I have an Asus Vivobook S400c. Yesterday I tried installing Windows 7 (cause im not much a fan of win8) following this guide:
    Installing Windows 7 on an ASUS S400C Ultrabook « Rolling Windows and Sticky Bytes

    I came to a stopping point when in the windows 7 setup where you choose a location to install the OS. It wouldnt let me install it in any of the drives.

    I then did something I now regret, tried "Formatting" a couple of the drives in the list.. (One said OS and I don't remember the other).

    That didnt work so i took the flash drive (bootable OS) out and restarted the computer.

    It did the Automatic repair thing, diagnosed it, and failed to fix it. (All of this in a Windows 8 interface, so i must not have deleted everything?)

    After that i press "Advanced options" and press Continue to windows 8 and it does the exact same thing again^

    I have tried to reset and it asks for windows 8 media thing and I tried putting windows 8.1 on a bootable flash drive, it said it was invalid.

    I am now downloading a windows 8 (not 8.1) operating system so i can make that a bootable flash drive and see if that works.. I don't know if this comp was originally 8 or 8.1...





    Is there anything you suggest to do instead of what I plan on doing? And if my plan doesn't what should i do next?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 5,357
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Probably on the right track. Sounds like you didn't format the volume containing winre, so if you put in the installation media when it asks, it may work fine.

    There is tutorial on this site about getting rid of 8 and installing 7.

    That is worth trying since you would rather have 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 5,357
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    The Problem with any OEM puter with Windows 8, is that the OS will be on one partition and on a small partition, is the actual bootloader.

    In Windows 7 Installer, when you get to the point of choosing location, and not finding any usable partitions, you can WIPE the whole drive. And you should, because if you leave any of the original partitions there, it will fail to install the os in any bootable fashion.

    If you have a WinRE partition, it is possible that the Boot Loader for all OSes is on THAT partition. So you should delete it, as the WinRE that is there is for Windows 8 anyway, and you can install a Windows 7 version of WinRE. I never do that though, I wile all of the target partition and then I save the Disk or Flash Drive with the OS installer on it, and use THAT to repair the OS if the need comes up.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    By the Ocean
    Posts : 177
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    The Problem with any OEM puter with Windows 8, is that the OS will be on one partition and on a small partition, is the actual bootloader.

    In Windows 7 Installer, when you get to the point of choosing location, and not finding any usable partitions, you can WIPE the whole drive. And you should, because if you leave any of the original partitions there, it will fail to install the os in any bootable fashion.

    If you have a WinRE partition, it is possible that the Boot Loader for all OSes is on THAT partition. So you should delete it, as the WinRE that is there is for Windows 8 anyway, and you can install a Windows 7 version of WinRE. I never do that though, I wile all of the target partition and then I save the Disk or Flash Drive with the OS installer on it, and use THAT to repair the OS if the need comes up.
    Do I wipe all drives in the list?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    ONLY the drives on the partition! But I guarantee, if you install Windows 7 onto a fully reformatted BLANK drive (With one and only one partition), it WILL Boot ti Windows 7 and not any leftover 8 fartition!

    I know that some new machines depend on UEFI, but in the BIOS setup, if you wipe a 8 drive and install 7 to the full space of the empty drive, just choose "Boot to UEFI partition" in the BIOS and it will work for 7 as well.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    I came to a stopping point when in the windows 7 setup where you choose a location to install the OS. It wouldnt let me install it in any of the drives.
    YES & NO, down to your UEFI/BIOS firmware setting.

    Welcome to EightForums

    As this a OEM manufacturer's PC with Pre-installed Windows 8.

    1) Downgrade to Windows 7.
    Downgrade Windows 8 to Windows 7
    Warning you must have the UEFI/BIOS firmware setting in Step Three set.

    Make sure you read the NOTE at Step three.

    2) If Using a USB Pen drive on a PC with a UEFI BIOS.
    USB Pen drive need to be formatted to FAT32 as in
    UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows
    Take note of Step 11 for Windows 7.
    Also you will need to use a USB 2.0 port, as there are no USB 3.0 drivers in Windows 7.


    You will need to buy Windows 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    By the Ocean
    Posts : 177
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    ONLY the drives on the partition! But I guarantee, if you install Windows 7 onto a fully reformatted BLANK drive (With one and only one partition), it WILL Boot ti Windows 7 and not any leftover 8 fartition!

    I know that some new machines depend on UEFI, but in the BIOS setup, if you wipe a 8 drive and install 7 to the full space of the empty drive, just choose "Boot to UEFI partition" in the BIOS and it will work for 7 as well.
    How do i know which drives are on what partition???? lol

    AND what partition do i want to wipe???????
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Just delete all partitions on the target drive, they will show in-line... Or maybe one on tops of the others.

    If there is a second hard drive, it will show THAT drive on a different line. But for safety's sake, remove all but the main OS hard drive. You can add trhe storage drive in after the OS goes in.

    He is correct with the USB 3.0, check that Tutorial it is a good tutorial.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    By the Ocean
    Posts : 177
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    Just delete all partitions on the target drive, they will show in-line... Or maybe one on tops of the others.

    If there is a second hard drive, it will show THAT drive on a different line. But for safety's sake, remove all but the main OS hard drive. You can add trhe storage drive in after the OS goes in.

    He is correct with the USB 3.0, check that Tutorial it is a good tutorial.
    Yay! I deleted everything that said "Partition" in it and am now installing windows 7 on the SSD

    Anything I have to do after this?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows 8 won't boot, try to reset asks fr windows 8 media
Related Threads
I recently reset my Gateway NV52L15u laptop computer in order to empty it out and restart back to factory basics. However, now if I turn it on, it goes straight to BIOS, telling me I need to "Insert Boot Media". I tried using my recovery drive, but that did nothing at all to fix it. Please help me,...
Hello all,I was experiencing problems with my windows 8 so i wished to reset it. I couldn't log into my account because the welcome screen was stuck and if i tried to make a recovery disk in safe mode it said that i couldnt create a recovery disk in safe mode. so i asked my friend who has windows 8...
Hi! I checked and I have 5 or 6 hidden partitions on my Win8 OEM laptop that are all named "Recovery Partition" and range from a few MBs to a few GBs. I want to reset my computer (remove all programs and reinstall windows) because it became too slow and a bunch of apps just don't work after...
So my computer started blue screening on start-up. I tried using system restore while booting—both points I had were corrupted. I did chkdsk /r and I have to restart to start it. I restart, and the thing freezes on 20% for 2-3 hours, and my computer restarts. Not sure if it's a crash or something...
I originally installed Windows 8, then upgraded to 8.1. Two days ago I realized I had no DVD player, and purchased Media Player. Now, everytime I start up - and occasionally while I'm working, I get a screen telling me to go to PC settings to activate windows. When I click on "PC Settings," It...
Dual boot and Windows 8 reset in General Support
Well, I had a dual booted machine booting Windows 8 and Ubuntu. Windows 8 was starting to play up so I decided to completely reset the computer. I backed everything up, booted to Windows 8 and hit the 'Reset PC' button. After answering some questions (full erase, whole disc etc), it informed me...
Laptop Information- HP 2000 Notebook PC Well, yesterday night, everything was going good until I tried to download League Of Legends on my laptop. I was multi-tasking on facebook, youtube, and a whole other stuff while my laptop was downloading League Of Legends, and then the whole laptop frooze...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook