Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Today Advised by Lenovo 'not' to upgrade to 8.1 because...

  1. #1


    Posts : 279
    Windows 8 (plain '8')

    Today Advised by Lenovo 'not' to upgrade to 8.1 because...


    Called Lenovo Software support division today (1/9/14) - advised by more than one tech there not to do the free 8.1 upgrade at present time -they've been getting 'distress' calls by those who have done the upgrade with various problems as a result thereof & that required drivers are not yet available for win 8.1 & trying to run 8.1 on a machine with only Win 8 drivers can cause problems -and that when available Microsoft will include the 8.1 drivers for the Win 8. machines as a normal 'update" and/or when it's clear to do the 8.1 update.
    I am pretty uneducated when it comes to computers. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks so much

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    If you do not need the 8.1 functions, that is probably sound advice. The later you upgrade the stabler the system will be.

    But it also sounds a bit like these guys want to reduce the amount of calls to their center.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 279
    Windows 8 (plain '8')


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    If you do not need the 8.1 functions, that is probably sound advice. The later you upgrade the stabler the system will be.

    But it also sounds a bit like these guys want to reduce the amount of calls to their center.
    ---------------------------
    Hello -I'm willing to wait and i doubt i need 8.1 functions - dont' even know 'what' they do !! i.e. ability to use newer software or 'apps' and nothing to do wtih the 'mechanics/operation' end of the the computer i bought (still in box- lol) ....i only read newspapers, visit websites, forums, email, open a photograph(i do make sure it's 'safe' - know better than to 'click' on the unknown or hyperlinks, etc) so my use is very 'simple'.
    Can one assume this is not a Lenovo (or any other manufacturer problem) but in fact solely Microsoft's situation and i should 'run' to exchange this computer for another brand?
    But here's a question i have: Lenovo software support advised they have 8.1already installed on their newest Pc's -now shipping to stores ...they obviously have the ''correct' drivers to do that but do not have them for Win 8 users to upgrade via a 'download' ? my main concern also is in several years, MS will not have 'upgrades/updates' for Win 8 or am i not understanding all of this. Coming from Win XP by the way ...never had a problem...
    Also about reducing calls - sorry to be 'dense' but how will telling me what they did reduce calls to them ?
    Thanks so much in advance for your advices = Edythe
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    UK
    Posts : 283
    Windows 8.1


    Sounds more like a Lenovo issue than a MS one, they are the ones that should be supplying new drivers which have been tested with Windows 8.1 (upgrade will install the MS drivers, but Lenovo ones will be better optimised for your PC)

    If you put your model number in here Lenovo Support - Home (GB) (defaults to UK for me so you might need to change that)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 376
    W8.1, W7


    Similar on a brand new i5 HP minitower I'm setting up, I guess HP's message (see snip) says 'wait for while' :O)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hp.png  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by edythe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    If you do not need the 8.1 functions, that is probably sound advice. The later you upgrade the stabler the system will be.

    But it also sounds a bit like these guys want to reduce the amount of calls to their center.
    ---------------------------
    Hello -I'm willing to wait and i doubt i need 8.1 functions - dont' even know 'what' they do !! i.e. ability to use newer software or 'apps' and nothing to do wtih the 'mechanics/operation' end of the the computer i bought (still in box- lol) ....i only read newspapers, visit websites, forums, email, open a photograph(i do make sure it's 'safe' - know better than to 'click' on the unknown or hyperlinks, etc) so my use is very 'simple'.
    Can one assume this is not a Lenovo (or any other manufacturer problem) but in fact solely Microsoft's situation and i should 'run' to exchange this computer for another brand?
    But here's a question i have: Lenovo software support advised they have 8.1already installed on their newest Pc's -now shipping to stores ...they obviously have the ''correct' drivers to do that but do not have them for Win 8 users to upgrade via a 'download' ? my main concern also is in several years, MS will not have 'upgrades/updates' for Win 8 or am i not understanding all of this. Coming from Win XP by the way ...never had a problem...
    Also about reducing calls - sorry to be 'dense' but how will telling me what they did reduce calls to them ?
    Thanks so much in advance for your advices = Edythe
    I would not worry too much anout it. If they ship 8.1, then their problems are apparently resolved. Chances that you run into problems are very slim. But I would unpack and use the PC during the 1 year warrenty period. Then you can always return it in case it goes belly up. Keep the packaging boxes.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 279
    Windows 8 (plain '8')


    Quote Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
    Sounds more like a Lenovo issue than a MS one, they are the ones that should be supplying new drivers which have been tested with Windows 8.1 (upgrade will install the MS drivers, but Lenovo ones will be better optimised for your PC)

    If you put your model number in here Lenovo Support - Home (GB) (defaults to UK for me so you might need to change that)
    ---------------------------
    Hello : model H520 57317164... lenovo is claiming they're waiting for MS to supply the drivers - who knows what is factual - LOL -
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by edythe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
    Sounds more like a Lenovo issue than a MS one, they are the ones that should be supplying new drivers which have been tested with Windows 8.1 (upgrade will install the MS drivers, but Lenovo ones will be better optimised for your PC)

    If you put your model number in here Lenovo Support - Home (GB) (defaults to UK for me so you might need to change that)
    ---------------------------
    Hello : model H520 57317164... lenovo is claiming they're waiting for MS to supply the drivers - who knows what is factual - LOL -
    Well Asus had 8.1 drivers on there download page the day MS released 8.1 on the public. I think MS had all there drivers together before releasing it on the public. Some hardware companies may be dragging their feet in creating or updating there drivers to work with 8.1 and some hardware may not work on 8.1 at all. I wouldn't try the upgrade unless I had some assurances that it is 100% Compatible with 8.1
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Ohio
    Posts : 473
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    But it also sounds a bit like these guys want to reduce the amount of calls to their center.
    I would agree that this may be at least part of the reason for that information.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 279
    Windows 8 (plain '8')


    Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    Similar on a brand new i5 HP minitower I'm setting up, I guess HP's message (see snip) says 'wait for while' :O)
    ----------------------
    while i'm sorry you're experiencing same thing i'm glad i'm not 'alone' in all of this ! thanks so much ! edythe
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Today Advised by Lenovo 'not' to upgrade to 8.1 because...
Related Threads
Today [2] in Chillout Room
Are you talking the Loma Prieta earthquake in 89, Bill? I was watching the Oakland/SF world series game that evening when the TV went fuzzy. My first thought was that the TV blew. I checked the other channels which worked and thought that was strange. Then I thought maybe it was the tuner was going...
I have a Lenovo U310 Touch that came from the store with Windows 8.1 on it. I need to install Hyper-V and that requires 8.1 Pro. I have a product key from my MSDN subscription for 8.1 Pro and attempted to use the "Add Features" program from the system screen to upgrade. It takes the code,...
What's on your menu today ? in Chillout Room
One more "What ... today?" thread ! Corn Mash Carioca Beans Rice Yellow Carrot Chicken with Okra 24336
2 months old laptop. I updated drivers from Lenovo website and went to device manager and tried to update/reinstall all network and wireless drivers and checked on setting and after boot the wireless has red x on it and says no connections available not connected. After 10 minutes or so it finally...
Today is the day. in Chillout Room
Today is the day where someone will leak the hashes and build numbers of the TechNet RTM builds of Windows 8. So hopefully we'll see if the leaked RTM builds are the real McCoy or the whore's lipstick. Part of me hopes it's the latter....
Today in Chillout Room
I thought this forum needed a little bit of a pick me up thread which would give everybody the ability to post, comment etc. This thread is just like the one on Seven Forums except we have to strive to make it even more interesting than that one. Also I didn't want John's precious bandwidth...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook