Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Problems about PATH variable under Microsoft account

  1. #1


    Posts : 3
    windows 8

    Problems about PATH variable under Microsoft account


    Hi everyone,

    I'm now running the windows 8 64 bit OS, and logged by a Microsoft account.

    Now I am doing some work using Visual Studio and encouter some problems about the PATH variable.

    1. Under current Microsoft account, I cannot see the full PATH variable neither in CMD or the Environment Variables dialog, the figures below shows the current view:
    Click image for larger version
    This is my current PATH
    Click image for larger version
    and, of course, I set it under system variables.

    Well, this path works fine in command line executing, but in visual studio, it doesn't work.

    2. So, lets see what I have in visual studio (run as administrator):

    Code:
    System.Environment.GetEnvironmentVariable("path");
    "C:\\Windows\\system32;C:\\Windows;C:\\Windows\\System32\\Wbem;C:\\Windows\\System32\\WindowsPowerShell\\v1.0\\;C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SQL Server\\110\\Tools\\Binn\\;C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft SQL Server\\110\\Tools\\Binn\\;C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SQL Server\\110\\DTS\\Binn\\;C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft SQL Server\\110\\Tools\\Binn\\ManagementStudio\\;C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\\Common7\\IDE\\PrivateAssemblies\\;C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft SQL Server\\110\\DTS\\Binn\\;C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft ASP.NET\\ASP.NET Web Pages\\v1.0\\;C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Windows Kits\\8.0\\Windows Performance Toolkit\\;C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft\\Web Platform Installer\\;C:\\Program Files\\TortoiseSVN\\bin;C:\\Program Files (x86)\\VisualSVN\\bin;"
    If you're willing to look at the text above, you'll find that this "PATH" is totally different with the one we set in Environment Variables dialog or get from the CMD.

    I want to use some executable files in "d:\common\bin" with my web application hosted by IIS8, but I found that the web application could not find the executable files in "d:\common\bin", which should exist in "PATH"

    Well, though I can just put the executable files into system32, but I just want to find why there exist such a problem and how to fix it. Thank you all!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 2,130
    Windows 8.0 x64


    See if this page has any bearing on it:
    Setting the Path and Environment Variables for Command-Line Builds

    also I don't think I had any path variable in my user settings either. I just clicked Add button under user settings and added PATH and made the value %path%;add_paths_for_user_here
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 3
    windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
    See if this page has any bearing on it:
    Setting the Path and Environment Variables for Command-Line Builds

    also I don't think I had any path variable in my user settings either. I just clicked Add button under user settings and added PATH and made the value %path%;add_paths_for_user_here
    Thanks for reply.
    But I cannot find the answer to my problem on the url you provided. That page introduce how to setup path for visual studio's C/C++ toolkit. But I am now searching for a way to setup the path for process run with built-in account (for example, IIS_NET blabla), with which I can use the executables with my web applications hosted by IIS8
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 2,130
    Windows 8.0 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by wxiong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
    See if this page has any bearing on it:
    Setting the Path and Environment Variables for Command-Line Builds

    also I don't think I had any path variable in my user settings either. I just clicked Add button under user settings and added PATH and made the value %path%;add_paths_for_user_here
    Thanks for reply.
    But I cannot find the answer to my problem on the url you provided. That page introduce how to setup path for visual studio's C/C++ toolkit. But I am now searching for a way to setup the path for process run with built-in account (for example, IIS_NET blabla), with which I can use the executables with my web applications hosted by IIS8
    So you can or cannot append the path variable in the System settings?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 3
    windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wxiong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
    See if this page has any bearing on it:
    Setting the Path and Environment Variables for Command-Line Builds

    also I don't think I had any path variable in my user settings either. I just clicked Add button under user settings and added PATH and made the value %path%;add_paths_for_user_here
    Thanks for reply.
    But I cannot find the answer to my problem on the url you provided. That page introduce how to setup path for visual studio's C/C++ toolkit. But I am now searching for a way to setup the path for process run with built-in account (for example, IIS_NET blabla), with which I can use the executables with my web applications hosted by IIS8
    So you can or cannot append the path variable in the System settings?
    I can't.

    After searching on the Google's related result, I found that the MS account login session use a different path with local account.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 2,130
    Windows 8.0 x64


    I use MS login and the path variables I appeneded are shown in command prompt. I have 8.0. Both normail and Admin command prompt show my variables.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Problems about PATH variable under Microsoft account
Related Threads
Solved Unable to connect microsoft account to domain account in User Accounts and Family Safety
I am a system administrator in a large enterprise environment and we are doing a rollout of Windows 8.1. In our image capture we somehow captured a setting that is disabling users from setting up a connected account with their domain account. I am relatively sure that it is in my unattend and I can...
Solved Windows 8 User Account/Microsoft Account Issues... in User Accounts and Family Safety
Hello. Since I bought this computer, I've had issues. I started by creating a user with my personal email address, but then thought I wanted it for work so I deleted the Microsoft account associated with that email and created another with my work email. However, I've noticed that some of the...
Solved microsoft account problems in User Accounts and Family Safety
Firstly, thanks to the forum, especially Brink for tutorial, and advice on moving from XP to Windows 8 Pro, it was invaluable help, in fact as I had six:eek: partitions on my drive I couldn't have done it without you. Nearly everything went well, apart from a usb network adapter problem which I...
Hello Guys My Question is What is Microsoft most variable professional and how to become it do we need to job with them,donate to them or we earn ourself if we earn ourself tell me how.. thank You Fair Winds, Win8pctech
If someone was to copy the variables and I just re-added them myself would that work or would I have to do a system restore? If they can be simply added by me could someone copy them here? Thanks for any help
Microsoft Account vs Local Account & Desktop vs Laptop in User Accounts and Family Safety
I'm curious, How many use a Microsoft Account to log in or use a local account? If you use a Microsoft Account on your desktop, do you use the same Microsoft Account on your laptop? I have upgraded my desktop but have not upgraded my laptop yet. Not sure of the pros and cons of using a...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook