Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


What we are REALLY getting with Windows 8

  1. #21


    Posts : 993
    Windows 8 pro Retail


    Forgive me guys. I'm old fashion. My cellphone only makes calls, and takes pictures (Why does anyone need to take a picture for)? I have a digital camera, and camcorder. I keep a disposable camera in my car if I happened to be involved in an accident, and I can bet you guys CAN'T get over 2.5 hours of digital recording with any of your phones). So for myself this is a mute conversation. AND before you ask, AND I know you WILL ADRz, I don't have, nor have a need for a tablet. LoL

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Posts : 162
    windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lonewolf View Post
    Forgive me guys. I'm old fashion. My cellphone only makes calls, and takes pictures (Why does anyone need to take a picture for)? I have a digital camera, and camcorder. I keep a disposable camera in my car if I happened to be involved in an accident, and I can bet you guys CAN'T get over 2.5 hours of digital recording with any of your phones). So for myself this is a mute conversation. AND before you ask, AND I know you WILL ADRz, I don't have, nor have a need for a tablet. LoL
    Well, different strokes for different folks. However, modern smartphones are essentially portable computers, cameras, camcorders, radios and ipods!!! They are amazingly versatile. My phone has a 8 MPx back camera with dual LED flash and a 2 MPx front camera, allowing full videoconferences (if I want). It records video at 1080p (the length of recording depends on available memory). It does make calls alright, checks the weather, my calendar, my email etc, etc. It is an indispensable little beast!!

    Actually, I have a use for a tablet but not the ones MS is developing for. I already have a convertible tablet (a Fujitsu T5010) which I utilize for design. So, just capacitive screens are inadequate for me. Whatever I have would need to have both a capacitive and a resistive screen because I need to capture pressure (capacitive screens cannot do this). So, a Win7 tablet is good enough for me (the covertibility is important).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8 Developer Preview


    Well, different strokes for different folks. However, modern smartphones are essentially portable computers, cameras, camcorders, radios and ipods!!! They are amazingly versatile. My phone has a 8 MPx back camera with dual LED flash and a 2 MPx front camera, allowing full videoconferences (if I want). It records video at 1080p (the length of recording depends on available memory). It does make calls alright, checks the weather, my calendar, my email etc, etc. It is an indispensable little beast!!
    Motorola Droid Razr?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 162
    windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by Lotok View Post
    Well, different strokes for different folks. However, modern smartphones are essentially portable computers, cameras, camcorders, radios and ipods!!! They are amazingly versatile. My phone has a 8 MPx back camera with dual LED flash and a 2 MPx front camera, allowing full videoconferences (if I want). It records video at 1080p (the length of recording depends on available memory). It does make calls alright, checks the weather, my calendar, my email etc, etc. It is an indispensable little beast!!
    Motorola Droid Razr?
    No, the Galaxy SII Skyrocket (the LTE version of Galaxy SII)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by ADRz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post

    Don't underestimate manufacturers. Ever. Don't underestimate Microsoft's competitiveness. Ever.

    Why do you believe that the Windows Phone 7 hasn't made an impact on consumers out of curiosity?
    I do not underestimate anything. But none of the major manufacturers has any proven record of selling tablets and for a good reason. They are in the hardware business, they are not in the content provision business. They are neither Apple nor Amazon. They can only appeal to businesses which are the major purchasers of their products. Thus, their tablets are and will be targeted to businesses (if they need them), not consumers. Neither Lenovo, Dell or HP have any ecosystem to support consumer-oriented tablets. Nor can they offer tablets at $200 because they have no way of making money through content. Dell had a 7'' inch tablet out there for quite some time until it finally killed for poor sales. Amazon, on the other hand, sold untold millions of Kindle Fires. At $199, they are an impulse buy. At over $500, it gets to be a different proposition. At that level, nothing beats the iPad.

    Why do you even ask about the impact of Windows Phone 7 with the consumers. It even trails Symbian for market share!!!! Even in the US, it has a 5% market share and it is actually declining. Despite "Mango", it had an underwhelming performance during the holidays. So, despite lots of advertising, it has been a commercial flop. None of the WP phones even offer LTE speeds nor do they support multi-core processors. WP may get to be competitive at some time, but it would not be any time soon.

    In November, I had to get a new phone. I examined very carefully WP7.5 and Android phones and decided to buy an Android (The Galaxy SII Skyrocket). In fact, I believe that you would have reached the same decision. If you are presented with a phone with very limited customization capability, no expandability, no access to the file system versus one that has all these and much more (almost infinite customization capability, additional storage, true multitasking, LTE speeds, dual-core processor, etc, etc) why pick up the first? It makes no sense. WP7 is not Windows, it is a new and very closed OS.
    You're definitely underestimating the metro interface.

    You're right, none of the major tablet manufacturers have a good record of selling tablets. The good reason is because of android. They got caught up in making "me too!" tablets to compete against the giant itouch and none of them have had any success until the Samsung Galaxy tablet. Why? android. android was the perfect system to use because it was designed from ios with a meshed blackberry, whatever it's from interface of navigating through menus and submenus. android tablets don't look sleek, the software itself looks like it's an imitation of an ipad. Again, I wouldn't underestimate manufacturers and their competitiveness when they have their hands on Windows 8. It's an genuinely new and different product that will do what no android tablet can do, make the ipad look like a toy from fischer-price.

    I ask about the Windows Phone because it has played a major role in Windows 8. Hmm, I don't get why people don't know about the Windows Phone 7, since people are just bombarded with adverts and have salespeople from service providers peddling Windows Phones everywhere and saying it's better than android just because you can "customize" it. Oh wait, that doesn't happen. No one literally knows about the Windows Phone 7. The only commercial flop is literally a flop of commercials. Microsoft can't get good relationships with many phone manufacturers and can't get into the carrier market since they're all busy selling crap android 2.32, 2.22, 2.2 and whatever phones that cost 30-70 dollars and get people to buy those phones so the carriers can get money from selling their service. It's as simple as that. Ask people you know about the Windows Phone 7, tell me what they say.

    The beauty of the Windows Phone is that it works great with a small screen and works great with phones. If I need to sit down in from of my small android phone for more than an hour a day, ok, I'll buy an android and manage files and customize the bloody hell out of it. Since I only look at my phone for less than 10 minutes in one sitting, either watching video or in a metro app, I don't care for having widgets to tell me analog time or weather widgets or facebook widgets or care for having video backgrounds or skinning the interface or spending a crap ton of time to customize a home screen that I won't actually look at since I'll be opening an app, not looking at the home screen. I care for a phone that I can easily navigate through the interface, see clearly what I'm doing, go through my apps with one hand and one thumb, and have a visually pleasing interface with themed apps based off that interface.

    A phone shouldn't be taken to the extreme customization of a PC. An android isn't a PC. I have my desktop to do that. By the way, I've compared both android 4.0 (Samsung Galaxy) to the Windows Phone 7 with Mango. Since phones keep you connected to people through text or voice, I'd like a phone that can manage my text messaging better than just using an app to another app. I'd like something that keeps my social networking on the go with me and help me keep in contact with people I care most for. The telephone was invented to connect people across thousands of miles. The iphone and android turned something so simple as such into a mobile wasteland of every free app one can download. The Windows Phone is obviously not Windows, nor is it intended to be. If you want Windows, use Windows on a desktop, tablet, or laptop, not a 4 inch screen. A Windows Phone 7 is new and does what a phone should, keep you connected with people in these modern days through social networking, text, voice, and soon video calling.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by ADRz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post

    It's the same reason as the Windows Phone argument, it's purely different. It can go against the android and win in the major categories of practicality and design. With an android, you get a jailbroken iphone with a crap ton of apps and crap ton of questionable apps that might be trying to get your banking info. With an iphone, you get something that hasn't geneuinly changed since 2006 OTHER than the app store. You still get the main basic apps, and you have a store to buy apps that make up for the lack of features. With a Windows Phone 7, you get something that is truly original, not a copycat build, not something that won't change. You get a device that is actually smart at keeping you connected with people. You'd think by now that would be obvious with smartphones, but not so. You also get the fastest growing app marketplace among them. In 15 or so months of the Windows Phone Marketplace, there are over 50,000 apps. It took iOS 12, it took android 18 months. Better proposition in my rational opinion.

    Sorry, but the above indicates total ignorance of iOS 5.0 and Android. I doubt that you have used these OSes at all. If you knew even the basics about Android, you would have known that it can do much of the same thing as WP7 through widgets and hubs. It so happens that it is up to the user to select what to run. iOS has also a certain level of integration.

    On the other hand, WP7 is visually uninteresting. Have you ever used it? I have. Beyond the opening screen of squares, there is nothing, just a long list of apps. In fact, any integration is just skin-deep and some is not even there. There is very limited customisability and there is no access to the file system or capability of attaching more storage. Nor can you "sideload" apps (which you can easily do in Android). It does not support most modern hardware. So, if you are such a great supporter, why would you choose it over Android?

    In addition, let me inform you that you need to "root" Android phones as you "jailbreak" an iPhone.
    I've used it all, android 2, 3, and 4 and iOS 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.
    I've used the Windows Phone 7 quite a bit. Have you even used it? You CAN add more storage with most phones, social network integration is quite deep. If by sideloading, you mean from computer to phone? I've never heard of such a term with phones, since I don't really understand using phones as PCs. The Windows Phone is still new, if modern hardware means a dual core processor, then no. Even then, a dual core isn't necessary as of now. It's still adding more hardware compatibilty as time goes on. For instance, in a couple months or so, LTE support will arrive, built in video calling with be there, more front facing cameras will come in, most likely better cameras in general. It took three versions of android to have LTE compatibility, almost a year when android 3.0 was release. It took the Windows Phone a year and half with one major update and one upcoming one.

    No, I deem the android software as a jailbroken iOS. It's free, it has access to a ridiculous amounts of apps that are free, and you can customize it as one would wish. That's basically the definition of a jailbroken iphone.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Posts : 162
    windows 7


    [QUOTE=Coke Robot;52152]

    You're definitely underestimating the metro interface.
    QUOTE]
    The correct thing to say is that I do not like it esthetically and operationally

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    You're right, none of the major tablet manufacturers have a good record of selling tablets. The good reason is because of android. They got caught up in making "me too!" tablets to compete against the giant itouch and none of them have had any success until the Samsung Galaxy tablet. Why? android. android was the perfect system to use because it was designed from ios with a meshed blackberry, whatever it's from interface of navigating through menus and submenus. android tablets don't look sleek, the software itself looks like it's an imitation of an ipad. Again, I wouldn't underestimate manufacturers and their competitiveness when they have their hands on Windows 8. It's an genuinely new and different product that will do what no android tablet can do, make the ipad look like a toy from fischer-price.
    Really? Why? They have not been able to compete with the iPad using Android that has now 400,000 apps and counting, and they would be able to do with with Win8 that has about a dozen????? Come again???

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I ask about the Windows Phone because it has played a major role in Windows 8. Hmm, I don't get why people don't know about the Windows Phone 7, since people are just bombarded with adverts and have salespeople from service providers peddling Windows Phones everywhere and saying it's better than android just because you can "customize" it. Oh wait, that doesn't happen. No one literally knows about the Windows Phone 7. The only commercial flop is literally a flop of commercials. Microsoft can't get good relationships with many phone manufacturers and can't get into the carrier market since they're all busy selling crap android 2.32, 2.22, 2.2 and whatever phones that cost 30-70 dollars and get people to buy those phones so the carriers can get money from selling their service. It's as simple as that. Ask people you know about the Windows Phone 7, tell me what they say.
    You are wrong about the pricing of Android Phones. In fact, they are quite expensive (the top tier of sets). Some costs as much as $299 subsidized. They cost as much as $800 unlocked. Where did you get your numbers? And what makes them "crap"? I would not talk about things I have no operational experience about and the same should apply to you. You do not know Android, so moderate your remarks on that score

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    The beauty of the Windows Phone is that it works great with a small screen and works great with phones. If I need to sit down in from of my small android phone for more than an hour a day, ok, I'll buy an android and manage files and customize the bloody hell out of it. Since I only look at my phone for less than 10 minutes in one sitting, either watching video or in a metro app, I don't care for having widgets to tell me analog time or weather widgets or facebook widgets or care for having video backgrounds or skinning the interface or spending a crap ton of time to customize a home screen that I won't actually look at since I'll be opening an app, not looking at the home screen. I care for a phone that I can easily navigate through the interface, see clearly what I'm doing, go through my apps with one hand and one thumb, and have a visually pleasing interface with themed apps based off that interface.
    Which you can easily do in the notifications bar of your Android phone depending how you have set it up. In fact, it can easily tell you how many emails you got in how many accounts, how many tweets, if you have any facebooks notifications, if you have missed calls or voice mails. Just at one glance. Again, you are making comments without any knowledge of the systems you are opposing. In many, many ways, Android phones are superior functionally to WP phones.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    A phone shouldn't be taken to the extreme customization of a PC. An android isn't a PC. I have my desktop to do that. By the way, I've compared both android 4.0 (Samsung Galaxy) to the Windows Phone 7 with Mango. Since phones keep you connected to people through text or voice, I'd like a phone that can manage my text messaging better than just using an app to another app. I'd like something that keeps my social networking on the go with me and help me keep in contact with people I care most for. The telephone was invented to connect people across thousands of miles. The iphone and android turned something so simple as such into a mobile wasteland of every free app one can download. The Windows Phone is obviously not Windows, nor is it intended to be. If you want Windows, use Windows on a desktop, tablet, or laptop, not a 4 inch screen. A Windows Phone 7 is new and does what a phone should, keep you connected with people in these modern days through social networking, text, voice, and soon video calling.
    First of all, the Samsug Galaxy does not run Android 4.0. In fact, Samsung announced that the Galaxy would not be getting this update. The Galaxy II (tabs and phones) will be upgraded to Android 4.0 sometime in the next few months. Regarding the rest, I am not surprised that you drink the Microsoft Coolaid. The simple fact is that the purchasing public does not care about WP phones. There are three such phones in AT&T. The Samsung Galaxy Focus S is about the same as the Galaxy SII (Android) but the latter way oversells the WP version. Sorry, no sale!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    One thing that I read that I don't like is that supposedly the code they use for the phone 7 will not be used which means it will be yet another new coding to learn to have something both compatible with the phone and the tablet/metro side of the desktop version. What were they thinking?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 162
    windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I've used it all, android 2, 3, and 4 and iOS 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.
    You have used Android 4? In what device? (there is only one in the US and it has been available only for a few days!!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I've used the Windows Phone 7 quite a bit. Have you even used it? You CAN add more storage with most phones, social network integration is quite deep. If by sideloading, you mean from computer to phone? I've never heard of such a term with phones, since I don't really understand using phones as PCs. The Windows Phone is still new, if modern hardware means a dual core processor, then no. Even then, a dual core isn't necessary as of now. It's still adding more hardware compatibilty as time goes on. For instance, in a couple months or so, LTE support will arrive, built in video calling with be there, more front facing cameras will come in, most likely better cameras in general. It took three versions of android to have LTE compatibility, almost a year when android 3.0 was release. It took the Windows Phone a year and half with one major update and one upcoming one.

    No, I deem the android software as a jailbroken iOS. It's free, it has access to a ridiculous amounts of apps that are free, and you can customize it as one would wish. That's basically the definition of a jailbroken iphone.
    Yes, I have used WP7. Read your description of it....most is still to come. You are aware that when you say "LTE will come", this does not mean that existing phones will become LTE capable, aren't you? It will mean that a couple of new phones would be released, this is all. Existing users would still have to deal with 3G. To this very day, Skype (an MS company) does not work in WP7 phones (most of which do not have front facing cameras anyway).

    Yes, there would be a time in which WP7 would offer most of what is being offered by modern phones right now. The problem is that these other phones would have progressed beyond this point. As for your definition of "jailbroken", I would not go there!!!

    Furthermore, knowing quite well that MS is going to junk the WP7 code, you would be "crazy" to go and buy a WP7 phone right now, as this technology will be shortly orphaned.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Posts : 10
    Windows 7 64bit SP1


    how did this thread turn into a mobile OS debate?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
What we are REALLY getting with Windows 8
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook