Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Why would I want Windows 8

  1. #71


    Posts : 203
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Laptops should benefit from Windows 8 since it promises better battery life and faster booting with Hybrid boot.

    Also, the memory footprint for Windows 8 is even less then that of Windows 7 and the new Metro UI might integrate well with multi-touch touchpads.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #72


    Posts : 162
    windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by Nemix View Post
    Laptops should benefit from Windows 8 since it promises better battery life and faster booting with Hybrid boot.

    Also, the memory footprint for Windows 8 is even less then that of Windows 7 and the new Metro UI might integrate well with multi-touch touchpads.
    These minor advantages over Win7 poorly compensate for the disadvantages to users that Win8 imposes.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #73


    Posts : 203
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Not too sure what the disadvantages are you talking about is it's the Metro UI?

    I thought the Metro UI can be turn off permanently in favor of classic desktop interface.

    Other then the Metro UI I can't think of anything else that makes Windows 8 having disadvantages to Windows 7 albeit it's a smaller upgrade when comparing the transition from Vista to Windows 7.

    However, if the Metro UI in Windows 8 cannot be turn off permanently for laptop users then I see little to no reason for an upgrade from Windows 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #74


    Posts : 162
    windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by Nemix View Post
    Not too sure what the disadvantages are you talking about is it's the Metro UI?

    I thought the Metro UI can be turn off permanently in favor of classic desktop interface.

    Other then the Metro UI I can't think of anything else that makes Windows 8 having disadvantages to Windows 7 albeit it's a smaller upgrade when comparing the transition from Vista to Windows 7.

    However, if the Metro UI in Windows 8 cannot be turn off permanently for laptop users then I see little to no reason for an upgrade from Windows 7.
    In thinking that you can turn off the Metro UI permanently, you are mistaken. There is no official way of doing so. There is an existing "hack" but then again, this may have unintended consequences in other parts of your system. So far, Microsoft is not making the Metro UI an option (as it should, in my opinion).

    Thus, if you want to upgrade to Win8, prepare to "hack it" to get rid of the Metro UI. At this time, as things stand, I do not plan to upgrade any of my desktops or laptops to Win8. Nor do I plan to purchase any Win8 tablets. In the mobile space, my current investment in Android is what would carry the day. I do not want, nor do I need to purchase all new apps!!

    I actually totally fail to understand Microsoft's play here.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #75


    California
    Posts : 1,714
    Windows 7 Home Premium S 64 bit


    Quote Originally Posted by ADRz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemix View Post
    Not too sure what the disadvantages are you talking about is it's the Metro UI?

    I thought the Metro UI can be turn off permanently in favor of classic desktop interface.

    Other then the Metro UI I can't think of anything else that makes Windows 8 having disadvantages to Windows 7 albeit it's a smaller upgrade when comparing the transition from Vista to Windows 7.

    However, if the Metro UI in Windows 8 cannot be turn off permanently for laptop users then I see little to no reason for an upgrade from Windows 7.
    In thinking that you can turn off the Metro UI permanently, you are mistaken. There is no official way of doing so. There is an existing "hack" but then again, this may have unintended consequences in other parts of your system. So far, Microsoft is not making the Metro UI an option (as it should, in my opinion).

    Thus, if you want to upgrade to Win8, prepare to "hack it" to get rid of the Metro UI. At this time, as things stand, I do not plan to upgrade any of my desktops or laptops to Win8. Nor do I plan to purchase any Win8 tablets. In the mobile space, my current investment in Android is what would carry the day. I do not want, nor do I need to purchase all new apps!!

    I actually totally fail to understand Microsoft's play here.

    ADRz,
    It is called Pay to Play or play now then pay!
    I am in your camp about not playing with beta 8 or purchasing it when put on market. Then I will wait 6 months for all the feedback comes in before I do anything with Win 8!
    THW
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #76


    Posts : 203
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    You are talking about the preview of Windows 8 when saying Metro UI cannot be turned off permanently correct?

    I see no reason why Microsoft is not going to included an option or way to allow users that have desktops and laptops to turn off the Metro UI permanently and just use the classic desktop like in Windows 7 in the public Beta of Windows 8.

    However, I open and stand to be corrected. If this is indeed the case then I'm not sure what crowd Microsoft is aiming towards for with Windows 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #77


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by ADRz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lonewolf View Post
    ADRz, come on NOW, WE both know when Windows 8 hits the retail chains, there will be plenty of applications for it. That is just naive in thinking. I will give you, there won't be right out the gate thousands, BUT 10 to 1 odds, the basic for business will be there. PLUS we ALL know WE want the newest from Redmond <g>
    You need to define "plenty". WP7.5, after a period of over a year, has approximately 40,000 applications right now and there are various notable absences. On the other hand, both iOS and Android have over 200,000 apps each and the number is increasing geometrically.

    Now, it is just possible that the "basic" apps would be there. However, this was not my question to you. What I asked you is "what kind of a functionality would be offered by a Win8 tablet that is missing in an Android tablet?". In fact, Android tablets would be offering a better UI, many more apps and a huge ecosystem of music, movies and books. For example, both Amazon and Google allow you to sync tens of thousands of songs to their cloud servers and become available to you via mobile devices (I believe that the Google Service allows for 16,000 songs to be upload to Google servers). Now, how much of this is available from Microsoft? Yes, there is Skydrive (but Skydrive is also available through a Google app) but there is nothing like iTunes or Google or Amazon music (do I have this right?)

    Again, what is the unique solution that would be offered by Win8 tablets??? Considering that Amazon and B&N proved that they can provide very usable Android tablets for about $200, I see MS heading for a great disaster of great proportions. And I will explain:

    How much does MS charge for a Windows license? Depending on the volume discount and type of version (Home, Business, etc), MS charges something from $75 to $300. It is charging less for netbooks with a very "restricted" version: $30. Now, just explain to me how MS cannot face disaster going against an OS that costs $0.00!!! MS is also going against huge operations like Amazon and B&N that love Android because they can modify it for their own content (they cannot do so with Win8). Sorry, I just do not see much upside for Win8.

    MS should have totally deep-sixed Win8. It should have developed a top-notch OS for desktop/laptop use and it should have used WP7-7.5 for tablets. Now, it is going actually to orphan WP7/7.5 moving the code to WP8 (which is compatible with Win8). So, if you are a sucker, go buy a WP7/7.5 phone. Do you know what is funny about this? In WP8, WinMo apps would be able to run (but not WP7./7.5)!!!! (another OS orphaned by MS). Please tell me that these gyrations make any sense whatsoever!!!!

    OK, you should promise to let me know as to why I would want to buy a Win8 tablet. What would be its advantages over the iPads or the Android tablets? (Consider the fact that all Win apps - Office, Bing, Skydrive are available for the iPad). Bing and Skydrive are available in Android.
    Windows Phone has 56,000 apps. Windows Phone Marketplace Crosses 50,000 Apps,Faster than Android Market to Reach the LandMark | Windows 8 Beta Read it.

    The android UI sucks, it has and will. It's something that's trying to be better than iOS when it's based off the iOS design. It's a flatout crap. I don't know about you, but when manufacturers of tablets are wanting Windows 8 instead of android, that says it all.

    The SkyDrive has 25 gigs of user space with a upload cap right now of 50MB per file. Music will be fine, photos will be fine. Videos will be an issue.

    Manufacturer licenses are OEM licenses that Microsoft has deals with. They're less than consumer licenses and are probably less than what we think or you. My dad bought a vista puter in 2008 for 330 dollars. Basic, but not expensive. vista was 300 dollars to buy I believe, I don't think you can build a computer with 30 dollars.

    Microsoft didn't do that when they faced criticism for not doing so. They don't want to release tablets with another phone based operating system on them. It's not what a Windows tablet can be. Microsoft is abandoning the CE kernel of Windows Phone for Windows 8 kernel because of MinWin technology that will allow them to do that. Microsoft abandoned Windows Mobile 6.5 because it was a mess and you can't run those apps in WP7 because of compatibility issues.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #78


    I don't know if it's really worth it. I felt the difference because I went from Vista immediately to Eight, I only tried out Seven afterwards. Yes, it's slightly faster, but I don't know much more changes. In my opinion, one of the few things that stands out for a new user is the Metro interface, but I don't know if that will motivate people to leave Seven.

    As for me, I'm willing to leave seven as soon as Windows 8 is officially out, as I'm terrified of BSODs and Eight made them look more friendly. Really, I used to have nightmares about it when I was a kid.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #79


    Yes, it's slightly faster, but I don't know much more changes. In my opinion, one of the few things that stands out for a new user is the Metro interface, but I don't know if that will motivate people to leave Seven.
    I dont think so, there must be much more to make people move from Seven.... and I hope there willl be.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #80


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Why would you buy a Win8 ARM tablet and not an Android 4.0 (ICS) one?
    What I saw of Android, it seems to hold together with rubber bands and band aids. E.g. the poor success of the superb Motorola Xoom was mainly because of the poor quality of Honeycomb (high price was probably another reason). Plus most applications were rather shuddy because Google did not control anything.

    I would expect the Win8 tablets to be of a higher standard. And I am sure they will provide the twenty or so applications that the average user needs. After all, tablets are toys and not designed for serious work.

    Key to the success of the Win8 tablets will be price. An entry price of $250 with an average configuration at $350 would work. But an entry price of $499 or more will not fly. MS is not Apple that have fans who buy anything at any price that Apple sells.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Why would I want Windows 8
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook