Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Why would I want Windows 8

  1. #31


    Posts : 162
    windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    As the proud owner of a 2006-era Windows Tablet, I can truthfully say that the tablets people are buying today are NOT the first generation of tablets -- far from it.

    I bought my tablet back in the day of paper day-timers! (remember those). I was using a Palm at the time, in addition to the day-timer, and found it an interesting idea to be able to replace BOTH with a single device.

    Over the years, MS had improved the tablet-specific features built into their OSs to the point that with Win7, it is a much better machine than it was originally with XP.

    As to who will buy them? Yeah, if all you do with your smart phone or tablet today is watch videos, make calls, send text messages, use a calendar or other functions (previously relegated to that ancient device known as a PDA), a larger smartphone (like the new Motorola Razr) would suffice. But, I used my tablet a lot to take notes -- and the now excellent handwriting recoginition feature prevented me from having to type stuff in at the end of the day. Being able to replace some of the functions previously needing a stylus with simply touching the screen is a big plus to me.

    But then, I might be one of only a handful of folks that would buy a Win8 tablet.
    Why would you do this? These tablets are going to have capacitive screens are are not good for accurate writing. For that, you need a resistive screen. Of course, certain companies offer both (Fujitsu does in its tablets) but then we are not talking about consumer tablets, are we??

    By the way, I do have a circa-2008 convertible laptop/tablet which I use for detailed design work. It can do things that a normal capacitive screen tablet is incapable of doing (precise control down to one pixel and hundreds of levels of pressure sensitivity). I need, and I will purchase, a more improved version of such a machine but then it would be around $2000 or more!!! (and I do not need to have a stupid Metro interface on this).

    Again, the Metro interface is seriously dated. ICS, which would drive the upcoming generation of Android tablets is far superior as an interface because it is much mover versatile and has already copied and even surpassed ideas of the Metro interface (and I can modify it all that I want). These tablets are going to be in various sizes with all kinds of capabilities and much cheaper than Win8 ones.

    So, let me see: If I need a tablet, I have a choice of cheaper ones with a better OS UI. Why would I want a Win8 tablet? I have not heard any argument on this as yet.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Quote Originally Posted by ADRz View Post
    Why would you do this? These tablets are going to have capacitive screens are are not good for accurate writing. For that, you need a resistive screen. Of course, certain companies offer both (Fujitsu does in its tablets) but then we are not talking about consumer tablets, are we??
    I would do it because I use the tablet for taking notes. And, given what you said, would probably look for a Fujitsu (which is what I have right now). But ... you make a good point.

    ICS, which would drive the upcoming generation of Android tablets is far superior as an interface ...
    I thought along the same lines ... until I read a post on one of the Android forums about failings of ICS.
    So, let me see: If I need a tablet, I have a choice of cheaper ones with a better OS UI.
    I have needs that Android tablets (at least currently) can not meet, namely, local usage of MS Windows apps (Office being only one of them), real-time synch with MS Exchange servers, and local disk storage (I don't want some Sys Admin at a remote site browsing through my data!).

    If your needs are different, then of course, your solution would be different as well.

    And, I saw today a thread on another forum about how the Win8 tablets would need to be priced down with the Android tablets to be competitive -- something I already mentioned in my thread. I'm certainly NOT going to pay the kind of $$$ for a Win8 tablet that I paid for my XP tablet back in 2006.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Posts : 162
    windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ADRz View Post
    Why would you do this? These tablets are going to have capacitive screens are are not good for accurate writing. For that, you need a resistive screen. Of course, certain companies offer both (Fujitsu does in its tablets) but then we are not talking about consumer tablets, are we??
    I would do it because I use the tablet for taking notes. And, given what you said, would probably look for a Fujitsu (which is what I have right now). But ... you make a good point.

    ICS, which would drive the upcoming generation of Android tablets is far superior as an interface ...
    I thought along the same lines ... until I read a post on one of the Android forums about failings of ICS.

    So, let me see: If I need a tablet, I have a choice of cheaper ones with a better OS UI.
    I have needs that Android tablets (at least currently) can not meet, namely, local usage of MS Windows apps (Office being only one of them), real-time synch with MS Exchange servers, and local disk storage (I don't want some Sys Admin at a remote site browsing through my data!).

    If your needs are different, then of course, your solution would be different as well.

    And, I saw today a thread on another forum about how the Win8 tablets would need to be priced down with the Android tablets to be competitive -- something I already mentioned in my thread. I'm certainly NOT going to pay the kind of $$$ for a Win8 tablet that I paid for my XP tablet back in 2006.
    Let me summarize: if you want a tablet for notes, then you would need to buy one with resistive and capacitive screens and here we are talking about serious money. As you well know, Fujitsu tablets of this kind are way above the current tablet pricing model.

    ICS is not perfect. But by the time Win8 tablets are out, Android would be in version 5, leaving the interface of Win8 further and further behind. Whatever the failings of ICS may be, its UI is more attractive and more flexible for what I have seen so far in Win8

    Local use of MS apps? Are you serious? If you want this, why are you even discussing a tablet? You should be considering an ultrabook at least, that has serious capability in running MS Office applications. It is likely that Fujitsu would release convertible ultrabook designs (I think that this is near certainty) that would have both capacity and resistive screens and would provide for your note taking and other requirements. My guess is that such ultrabook/tablets would be in excess of $1500. In any case, these machines would work with Win7 for the applications you have in mind. From what I see here, you do not need a tablet and certainly not Win8
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Posts : 476
    WCP / Win.7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1.


    Why should I buy Windows 8 rather than continue with Windows 7 on my desktop.
    You can buy Windows 8????
    {Rhetorical question I know......}

    When it is released to the public I will buy it to keep up with new technology.

    If we adopted the Philosophy of "resistance to change" we would still be in the Stone Age.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Posts : 162
    windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    Why should I buy Windows 8 rather than continue with Windows 7 on my desktop.
    You can buy Windows 8????
    {Rhetorical question I know......}

    When it is released to the public I will buy it to keep up with new technology.

    If we adopted the Philosophy of "resistance to change" we would still be in the Stone Age.

    I am not resistant to change. Quite the opposite, in fact. I would adapt (and I do all the time) to lots of change that make my computing experience better and more enjoyable. I do not see any particular virtue to adapt to bad change, do you? So, since you have lots of choices in computing, you should adapt to changes that make sense for you, not because MS has so dictated.

    Let me tell you one change that I did not adapt to: The change to 16:9 aspect ratio in laptop screens from 16:10. This is a change that is bad for users but excellent for hardware manufacturers because these screens cost so much less. Yes, this limits my choices in hardware, but I would not accept it. It does not make sense with the way all of us work in the web and at the office (where most things are vertical).

    Now, it says something that Apple has remained steadfast on 16:10 screens (and so did a few Japanese manufacturers of business computers)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Posts : 11
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit


    16:10 to 16:9 was less about cost and more about creating a consistent video production. Blame the increase of use of HDTV's as monitors for this.

    Curious where tablet's are going to go with this, as most of them are at 16:10.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Posts : 162
    windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by revel911 View Post
    16:10 to 16:9 was less about cost and more about creating a consistent video production. Blame the increase of use of HDTV's as monitors for this.

    Curious where tablet's are going to go with this, as most of them are at 16:10.
    Video was the excuse given, but costs were the real reason. Let's not mistake the fake rationales provided by manufacturers for the truth. Are we then to believe that Apple eschewed "consistent video production"? I think not. I believe that the 16:9 panels are substantially cheaper than the 16:10 ones and the resolution is consistently lower.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Posts : 48
    Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1


    I think for me personally and this is considering I would run 8 from a desktop not a mobile device. I would think I could get a nice performance boost by going with 8 since it is so light weight in comparison to previous versions.

    I do a lot of really resource intensive work on this rig and I can free up even more if I have a lighter OS running. 8 fits that bill so far and regardless of the interface I could work with it for that increase. Though I hear that metro is optional I still have no hands on experience with the interface or how that would translate in actual use. Anyone want to fill in those blanks feel free.

    I do plan to use a Cintiq 24HD which may or may not make 8 an even more appropriate choice for me. I think graphics guys should consider that to some degree.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    since it is so light weight in comparison to previous versions.
    The final verdict on this is still out. We are now working with a very small alpha footprint. Whether the RTM version will still be that light remains to be seen.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    The final verdict on this is still out. We are now working with a very small alpha footprint. Whether the RTM version will still be that light remains to be seen.
    Surely, after all hidden features being enabled / added the scene may be a bit diferent, but I still think that W8 will be a nice OS

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Why would I want Windows 8
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook