Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Why would I want Windows 8

  1. #11


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    -the first Windows operating system to actually support touch
    -faster startup/shutdown
    -Ribbon interface in Windows Explorer
    -ARM support
    -full screen apps
    -faster user logging in and out
    -better SSD support
    -improved energy efficiency
    -improved visual performance
    -XBOX Live integration
    -potential Xbox gaming
    -simple and beautiful design
    -pdf reader
    -potential People Hub
    -potential advanced biometrics to log users in
    -new and more animated
    -this is going out on a limb but device consolidation since people play with their phones, you can now with Windows 8
    -enhanced networking
    -a plus for enterprises that use tablets, now they can run one operating system
    -Windows Store
    -no more ipad!
    -Windows Live ID login
    -hybridization between a cloud and local operating system
    -IE 10
    -hopefully a new and pretty sounding sound scheme (no more vista for crying out loud!)
    -no more design influence from vista
    -new Media Center when it comes out
    -new DVD Maker if it comes out
    -Windows update harassment is gone
    -every device is friends with Windows 8
    -the Windows 95 of our decade, simply the hugest change to Windows EVER
    -puts relevant information first
    -no more android!
    -hopefully and Metro designed Media Player
    -the PC literally is being recognized by Windows as a PC
    -non frightening BSODs
    -a lot of fun to switch between Metro and Desktop, and fun hitting the Start key
    -Windows 8 shows that Microsoft is willing to intentionally risk their reputation (again) for innovation and change


    And that's just based off the Developer's Preview build!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    -ie 10
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    -Hyper-V integration, if it matures
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    -unlike other tablets, it has actual features, not just apps
    -brings a competent operating system to all form factors
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    -the first Windows operating system to actually support touch
    -faster startup/shutdown
    -Ribbon interface in Windows Explorer
    -ARM support
    -full screen apps
    -faster user logging in and out
    -better SSD support
    -improved energy efficiency
    -improved visual performance
    -XBOX Live integration
    -potential Xbox gaming
    -simple and beautiful design
    -pdf reader
    -potential People Hub
    -potential advanced biometrics to log users in
    -new and more animated
    -this is going out on a limb but device consolidation since people play with their phones, you can now with Windows 8
    -enhanced networking
    -a plus for enterprises that use tablets, now they can run one operating system
    -Windows Store
    -no more ipad!

    -Windows Live ID login
    -hybridization between a cloud and local operating system
    -IE 10
    -hopefully a new and pretty sounding sound scheme (no more vista for crying out loud!)
    -no more design influence from vista-new Media Center when it comes out
    -new DVD Maker if it comes out
    -Windows update harassment is gone
    -every device is friends with Windows 8
    -the Windows 95 of our decade, simply the hugest change to Windows EVER
    -puts relevant information first
    -no more android!
    -hopefully and Metro designed Media Player
    -the PC literally is being recognized by Windows as a PC
    -non frightening BSODs
    -a lot of fun to switch between Metro and Desktop, and fun hitting the Start key
    -Windows 8 shows that Microsoft is willing to intentionally risk their reputation (again) for innovation and change


    And that's just based off the Developer's Preview build!
    This is a nice list - although the points I marked in red are either irrelevant for the dasktop (and that was the question) or fluff. But in what way does Win8 provide a better SSD support??
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    -the first Windows operating system to actually support touch
    -faster startup/shutdown
    -Ribbon interface in Windows Explorer
    -ARM support
    -full screen apps
    -faster user logging in and out
    -better SSD support
    -improved energy efficiency
    -improved visual performance
    -XBOX Live integration
    -potential Xbox gaming
    -simple and beautiful design
    -pdf reader
    -potential People Hub
    -potential advanced biometrics to log users in
    -new and more animated
    -this is going out on a limb but device consolidation since people play with their phones, you can now with Windows 8
    -enhanced networking
    -a plus for enterprises that use tablets, now they can run one operating system
    -Windows Store
    -no more ipad!

    -Windows Live ID login
    -hybridization between a cloud and local operating system
    -IE 10
    -hopefully a new and pretty sounding sound scheme (no more vista for crying out loud!)
    -no more design influence from vista-new Media Center when it comes out
    -new DVD Maker if it comes out
    -Windows update harassment is gone
    -every device is friends with Windows 8
    -the Windows 95 of our decade, simply the hugest change to Windows EVER
    -puts relevant information first
    -no more android!
    -hopefully and Metro designed Media Player
    -the PC literally is being recognized by Windows as a PC
    -non frightening BSODs
    -a lot of fun to switch between Metro and Desktop, and fun hitting the Start key
    -Windows 8 shows that Microsoft is willing to intentionally risk their reputation (again) for innovation and change


    And that's just based off the Developer's Preview build!
    This is a nice list - although the points I marked in red are either irrelevant for the dasktop (and that was the question) or fluff. But in what way does Win8 provide a better SSD support??
    OH! OK! We're segregating desktops only. As for fluff, what's a new operating system without fluff?


    And for improved SSD performance...
    Delivering fast boot times in Windows 8 - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
    watch the video at the bottom of the page, she's running the Windows 8 on a laptop with an obvious SSD using Hybrid Boot. Also, I think there some fine tuning that was done for solid drives. Even at the build conference, they were talking about how Windows on SSDs startup faster than what the monitor can turn on!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    OK, understand. They refer to the hybrid startup. But that should not only be an advantage for the SSDs.

    I boot in 16 seconds - if it gets any faster I will stop breathing - LOL.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 162
    windows 7


    The mere fact that we have to ask the question in this forum as to why we would want Windows 8 is an indictment of this development program.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by ADRz View Post
    The mere fact that we have to ask the question in this forum as to why we would want Windows 8 is an indictment of this development program.
    I guess you are right. It expresses a certain unexcitement. That was different in the early Win7 days. But maybe they surprise us with the Beta.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    I guess you are right. It expresses a certain unexcitement. That was different in the early Win7 days. But maybe they surprise us with the Beta.

    I pray for it... not that WDP is bad, but I want to see what's under the hood
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Why would I want Windows 8
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook