Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Why would I want Windows 8

  1. #91


    Posts : 1,396
    Windows 8 Developer 32 bit


    whs IS somebody of importance.....

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #92


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by ADRz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post

    What wireless companies?
    at&t, Verizon, Sprint.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    And I have read all the negative and positive reviews of android. I know what people use android for, call, text, and use apps, nothing more, nothing less. I know quite a bit about a system I don't particularly mind for so I know what I don't like about it.
    And how do you think the Android apps differ from the Metro-style apps that would be offered by MS??? In fact, what do you expect that you would be able to do with these apps that you cannot do with Android apps????
    Last that I checked, netbooks weren't being sold by network carriers. They're sold like laptops, and are incredibly small laptops.

    The point of having an integrated metro design all around is because simply you don't actually interact with a home screen or the Start Screen enough to have that experience. It's like running itunes in Windows, it look just flat out odd with the rest of the design of Windows. You don't look at a home screen enough to feel a design. A user wouldn't be solely in the Start Screen, they will be in apps that are metro designed, so you they can feel of a common design thread. Like Office 2010 in Windows, it looks like it should be there. If that helps get my point across...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #93


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Getting back on topic, Space Pools! I still don't fully understand this feature, but if it works like a true RAID that runs on whatever interface the hard drive is connected to, that is a step towards progres.

    -I don't know if this is a desktop benefit, but the Start Screen will have Grouping to basically revamp a compact folder view of the start menu.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #94


    California
    Posts : 1,714
    Windows 7 Home Premium S 64 bit


    Hey Coke,
    Do you and ADR like to see yourself talk?

    Be nice if you two could start your own post so the rest of us can move on.
    There's even money in the house on who is more boring.
    I found 2 pennies so I am throwing my 2 cents into the pot!
    Just My Humble Opinion.
    THW
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #95


    Posts : 288
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9


    Coke and ADRz have had a long debate, it was even longer on the "Windows 8 would be irrelevant to PC users" thread. Metro UI vs. non Metro, Windows 8 vs. Android. Coke is the most diehard defender of Metro on this forum, whilst ADRz is the most diehard critic. It goes on forever.

    What I want to see is to see more built-in features in the Beta. And by then, I will have a better judgment.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #96


    Posts : 42
    Windows 8 Pro x64


    here is my view on windows 8

    i think the biggest thing holding everyone back from windows 8 is the metro launcher screen. well i ask you this, if it booted up into the desktop first and EVERYTHING else we have seen was still included in win8, would you hesitate near as much to upgrade?

    i'll answer first, if win8 was everything we have seen so far, yet booted to the desktop (classical) first, i would buy it upon release, the performance gains and all around efficiency changes to the OS alone make it worth the upgrade.

    now i ask you one more question. where has it been stated that win 8 will FORCE you to boot into Metro???? right now currently on my win7 machine, i can make it boot up into a classic win98 desktop with boring grey taskbars and everything. the classic desktop is already built into win8 as we have all seen (and used if you have the wdp) so why does everybody think there won't be an option in the control panel, or desktop properties to have it boot up to the desktop first?!

    i personally think Microsoft will include this option and give users the CHOICE of WHICH theme to boot into, both will always be in the OS but i don't see what would stop them or make them not want to give us the option. we have not heard them say that it is impossible to boot into the desktop first, all we see is them showing off METRO because it is there new interface but i think we take that too far and assume that since that is what we see boot first all the time that that is the ONLY way it will be done.

    i would put money that it will be an option to change on the release version and that we can boot into desktop first if we so choose. to push my point further for all of you who say "well why isn't it an option in the developer preview?" to that, i say there are many features that are not in the build yet that should be, such as an easy way to shut down the PC lol... currently i have to CTRL+ALT+DEL and click shutdown to get it to a FULL shutdown.

    have faith, i think we will have the option to boot to desktop and thus making win8 MUCH more desirable for many of us
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #97


    Posts : 162
    windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by CovertDeath View Post
    here is my view on windows 8

    i think the biggest thing holding everyone back from windows 8 is the metro launcher screen. well i ask you this, if it booted up into the desktop first and EVERYTHING else we have seen was still included in win8, would you hesitate near as much to upgrade?
    Probably no, considering that I have a number of licenses already. However, my Win7 installations are very stable and perform very well, so this is not something that I will undertake for simply having "the latest". It must have some value to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by CovertDeath View Post
    i'll answer first, if win8 was everything we have seen so far, yet booted to the desktop (classical) first, i would buy it upon release, the performance gains and all around efficiency changes to the OS alone make it worth the upgrade.
    Probably so, we have to see. I am not opposed to any upgrade that substantially increases the efficiency of my computing experience

    Quote Originally Posted by CovertDeath View Post
    now i ask you one more question. where has it been stated that win 8 will FORCE you to boot into Metro???? right now currently on my win7 machine, i can make it boot up into a classic win98 desktop with boring grey taskbars and everything. the classic desktop is already built into win8 as we have all seen (and used if you have the wdp) so why does everybody think there won't be an option in the control panel, or desktop properties to have it boot up to the desktop first?!
    It has been so stated by the "Windows 8 Development Team" and it exists in the "developers" version. I know that that the Windows 8 Development team has gotten an earful of complaints on this but there is no evidence so far that it has decided to make the Metro Start Screen optional. In fact, the indications so far are to the contrary. If you are booting directly on to the desktop, then you have hacked the "developers" version that you are running.

    Quote Originally Posted by CovertDeath View Post
    i personally think Microsoft will include this option and give users the CHOICE of WHICH theme to boot into, both will always be in the OS but i don't see what would stop them or make them not want to give us the option. we have not heard them say that it is impossible to boot into the desktop first, all we see is them showing off METRO because it is there new interface but i think we take that too far and assume that since that is what we see boot first all the time that that is the ONLY way it will be done.
    I disagree. I do not think that MS would make it optional running the Metro Start Screen. Virtually all development for Win8 was to create a mobile OS that can be "slapped" on top of Win7. In essence, Microsoft has created something akin to Android (Let's call it WinRT, as they do) and this system virtualizes Win7. Thus, you are in essence running a mobile OS that allows you access to the desktop, not the other way around!!

    Then, MS has strong inducements in not making the Metro Start Screen optional. If it is optional, only a small minority of users will enable it, as it has little to no utility in 99.999% of Windows installations today. Microsoft has spent a lot of money creating a new Win8 Martetplace and expects to make money by selling Metro-style apps (by the way, the WP7 apps are incompatible). I do not expect MS to give up the game without strong pressure from the users. If you think that MS is likely to make Metro optional, I think that you are mistaken.

    Quote Originally Posted by CovertDeath View Post
    i would put money that it will be an option to change on the release version and that we can boot into desktop first if we so choose. to push my point further for all of you who say "well why isn't it an option in the developer preview?" to that, i say there are many features that are not in the build yet that should be, such as an easy way to shut down the PC lol... currently i have to CTRL+ALT+DEL and click shutdown to get it to a FULL shutdown.

    have faith, i think we will have the option to boot to desktop and thus making win8 MUCH more desirable for many of us
    Microsoft has strong inducements not to do what you wish it to do. In fact, it is ready to forgo virtually all upgrade revenue. Microsoft does not disagree that the Win8 is irrelevant to current users. It has never argued otherwise in any public forum. MS expects the following:

    (a) Virtually no revenue from upgrades
    (b) All revenue from sales of new PCs (desktops, laptops) that would sport a "touch" screen (I think that they are dreaming)
    (c) Revenue from the sale of tablets and smartphones
    (d) Revenue from the Win8 Marketplace
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #98


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Vertex View Post
    Coke and ADRz have had a long debate, it was even longer on the "Windows 8 would be irrelevant to PC users" thread. Metro UI vs. non Metro, Windows 8 vs. Android. Coke is the most diehard defender of Metro on this forum, whilst ADRz is the most diehard critic. It goes on forever.

    What I want to see is to see more built-in features in the Beta. And by then, I will have a better judgment.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #99


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by CovertDeath View Post
    here is my view on windows 8

    i think the biggest thing holding everyone back from windows 8 is the metro launcher screen. well i ask you this, if it booted up into the desktop first and EVERYTHING else we have seen was still included in win8, would you hesitate near as much to upgrade?

    i'll answer first, if win8 was everything we have seen so far, yet booted to the desktop (classical) first, i would buy it upon release, the performance gains and all around efficiency changes to the OS alone make it worth the upgrade.

    now i ask you one more question. where has it been stated that win 8 will FORCE you to boot into Metro???? right now currently on my win7 machine, i can make it boot up into a classic win98 desktop with boring grey taskbars and everything. the classic desktop is already built into win8 as we have all seen (and used if you have the wdp) so why does everybody think there won't be an option in the control panel, or desktop properties to have it boot up to the desktop first?!

    i personally think Microsoft will include this option and give users the CHOICE of WHICH theme to boot into, both will always be in the OS but i don't see what would stop them or make them not want to give us the option. we have not heard them say that it is impossible to boot into the desktop first, all we see is them showing off METRO because it is there new interface but i think we take that too far and assume that since that is what we see boot first all the time that that is the ONLY way it will be done.

    i would put money that it will be an option to change on the release version and that we can boot into desktop first if we so choose. to push my point further for all of you who say "well why isn't it an option in the developer preview?" to that, i say there are many features that are not in the build yet that should be, such as an easy way to shut down the PC lol... currently i have to CTRL+ALT+DEL and click shutdown to get it to a FULL shutdown.

    have faith, i think we will have the option to boot to desktop and thus making win8 MUCH more desirable for many of us
    There are easier ways to do a full shutdown. Win + I and the power icon is in the Settings menu. The shutdown feature is literally a hybrid of hibernate and shutdown. Restart will do the full shutdown. To make shutdown a true shutdown, go to Power Options for the Desktop Control Panel, and select "choose what the power buttons do" and there's a link that says "Change settings that are currently unavailable", there's a tick mark that enables Hybrid Boot. That should do it for ya!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #100


    Posts : 288
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9


    Well, they better put a much easier shutdown button that you can access directly. The way they had the power button under the Settings menu is a design fail!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Why would I want Windows 8
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook