Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Num Lock on Startup Anomaly

  1. #51


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by hawkman View Post
    had that same number in my reg to (numlock off) weird!!!, reset mine to 2 (numlock on) in 8.0, upgraded to 8.1 via store still working OK . ASUS X55A, (dont laugh, touch wood this is the only querk ive had.

    Roy
    Been there, done that, and the number's still a 2 and noooooooooooooo NumLock on startup!

    And as you can see further up the thread, I've tried everything ever suggested and nothing has worked so far.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #52

    power settings


    Hi Wynona,
    as i said earlier mine works OK,
    more info
    Ive changed my power settings,>>> within MS <<<, not the pre-loaded (ASUS in my case), i assume HP has its own version

    Maximum power setting
    Never put comp to sleep
    NO Sleep/Hibernation/Hybrid sleep/allow wake timers disabled
    Fast start-up dissabled
    Password not required on start-up.(note running on local user with no password required on login)
    lid close shutdown
    power shutdown
    sleep Do Nothing

    PCI link state Off

    something more to try

    Roy

    note i have also deleted ASUS faststart prog
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #53


    Posts : 42
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    I've been fighting this issue for some time also. Finally found a solution for my PC. This link covers disabling Fast Start and the Registry change to "2."
    Fix: Num Lock is not active on startup or reboot in Windows 7 | 8

    But here's what I had to do before it worked:

    - Turn off Fast Start, AND
    - Change ALL the instances of "InitialKeyboardIndicators" to a value of "2" in the registry. There were 3 or 4 instances of this variable (sorry, I forget--just use "find next" to get to all of them.)

    Hang in there, Wynona, and try this one.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #54


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by rchris View Post
    I've been fighting this issue for some time also. Finally found a solution for my PC. This link covers disabling Fast Start and the Registry change to "2."
    Fix: Num Lock is not active on startup or reboot in Windows 7 | 8

    But here's what I had to do before it worked:

    - Turn off Fast Start, AND
    - Change ALL the instances of "InitialKeyboardIndicators" to a value of "2" in the registry. There were 3 or 4 instances of this variable (sorry, I forget--just use "find next" to get to all of them.)

    Hang in there, Wynona, and try this one.
    I would, but I kinda like Fast Start. What I will do is go to the registry and find all instances of Initial Keyboard Indicators and change them to 2s. As far as I know, I've only changed one so far.

    Thanks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #55


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Wooooooooooo Hooooooooooooo, I finally found a fix to have NumLock on by default!

    Left Alt+Left Shift+NumLock . . . You'll be asked if you want to use Mouse Keys . . . Click Yes.

    Shut down the system, restart and NumLock should be on by default.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #56


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Wooooooooooo Hooooooooooooo, I finally found a fix to have NumLock on by default!

    Left Alt+Left Shift+NumLock . . . You'll be asked if you want to use Mouse Keys . . . Click Yes.

    Shut down the system, restart and NumLock should be on by default.
    Well, that didn't last more than one bootup . . . I just got disgusted and gave up at this point.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #57


    Wynona, you have certainly been through lots of "solutions" with no luck. Are you ready for one more I haven't seen in reading through this thread? On the Start screen, type "regedit", press Enter, click on HKEY_USERS, Default, Control Panel, Keyboard. Refer to attachment and change "Initial Keyboard Indicator" to the number shown. If that doesn't work, change the last two numbers to 50. Good Luck!

    C.B.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NUM LOCK.PNG  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #58


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by cbwilsha View Post
    Wynona, you have certainly been through lots of "solutions" with no luck. Are you ready for one more I haven't seen in reading through this thread? On the Start screen, type "regedit", press Enter, click on HKEY_USERS, Default, Control Panel, Keyboard. Refer to attachment and change "Initial Keyboard Indicator" to the number shown. If that doesn't work, change the last two numbers to 50. Good Luck!

    C.B.

    OK, I tried, but still no joy. Sigh . . . One more "solution" to knock off the list. Or add to it.

    First I changed the number from 2 to your number; however, I believe in the past I changed this number to 2. When that didn't work, I changed 48 at the end of the number to 50. Nope, didn't work either.

    I notice that KeyboardDelay is set at 1 . . . would a 3 or 5 maybe give the keyboard more time to activate NumLock?

    What about the keyboard speed? Currently, I seem to be a bit faster than the keyboard; when I type several characters, I inadvertently miss one or two, which hasn't happened very much in the past. I type somewhere between 70 & 85 WPM (slowed down since I'm not working every day). Oh, and BTW, I keep the keyboard clean and it's not always the same characters MIA.

    Thanks for your help.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #59


    Very sorry to hear it didn't work, Wynona. BTW, I love your avatar, am also from Texas and 86 years old so you are supposed to be helping me! I think the Keyboard Speed registry entry is related to the repeat speed made in Keyboard Speed Settings and Keyboard Delay, as you suspect, is the delay after touching the key before it actuates so I would assume 1 is the fastest key actuation you can get.

    C.B.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #60


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by cbwilsha View Post
    Very sorry to hear it didn't work, Wynona. BTW, I love your avatar, am also from Texas and 86 years old so you are supposed to be helping me! I think the Keyboard Speed registry entry is related to the repeat speed made in Keyboard Speed Settings and Keyboard Delay, as you suspect, is the delay after touching the key before it actuates so I would assume 1 is the fastest key actuation you can get.

    C.B.
    Ah, OK, thanks for the info on the keyboard stuff in the Registry.

    Thanks for the compliment on the Avatar; I used to keep ferrets, but after a couple or three losses and my heart being pulled right out of my chest when they died, I just couldn't go through that again. So that's why StarFerret keeps popping up around the forums.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Num Lock on Startup Anomaly
Related Threads
Hi Guys, I have win 8.1.1 Installed. And I use my PIN to login to my Laptop. But every time i need to manually turn on the NUM LOCK. Is there a settings or registry hack to keep it on While start-up ?
Hi, new to these forums, hope I don't break any rules or anything here. My laptop is a Sony Vaio - Model: SVE141R11L Product name: SVE14135CXB Pre-loaded with Windows 8 x64 Intel(R) Core i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz 6GB RAM w/ 900GB HDD space Purchased in Navy Exchange last year (around July...
Whenever i start up my computer i get a command prompt pop up that says C;\ windows\system32\cmd.exe operation completed successfully, how do i get rid of this.
Hi! So, I've upgraded to Windows 8 RTM this weekend and I'm having this problem: Every time I boot the PC (shutdown or restart), the Num Lock key is off. Since my password uses numbers, and I'm pretty used to type it with Num Lock, I'd like to keep it always on. It was fine on Windows 7. Now, I've...
My Dell Latitude 10 tablet runs Windows 8. I have created a standard user account and want to forbid the user from accessing the "advanced startup options", which he might use to go to safe mode and reset my tablet. How can I do it? Thanks.
Please see the attached logs. This is a fresh installation of Windows 8. System Specs is on my user profile.
How to Choose a Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 8 If you have more than one operating system installed along with Windows 8 for a dual or multi boot system, then this will show you how to choose a default OS to run at startup automatically. By default, the choosen...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook