Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Where is the beef in 8.1

  1. #1


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7

    Where is the beef in 8.1


    After toying around all day with 8.1 I notice hardly any difference to 8.0 - at least the way I am operating. My excitement about 8.1 is controlled and I fail to see the ' big deal '. Is there anybody who is excited and why ??

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 22,582
    64-bit Windows 10


    Hello Wolfgang,

    The major differences that you will notice are in PC settings.

    In addition:

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Thanks Shawn. I'll study those.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Not much for desktop users. There is boot direct to desktop and a fake start button. A bit less annoying for the average user, perhaps.

    Mostly it is extending the metro stuff.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Booting direct to the desktop is faster than Classic Shell you do not even see a flash of Metro. However you do get more M$ spam.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    Not much for desktop users.
    Agreed!

    Booting direct to the desktop is faster than Classic Shell
    Agreed; but I like the additional Classic Shell menus/options and that makes the additional 2 second wait worthwhile IMHO.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Not much for desktop users. There is boot direct to desktop and a fake start button. A bit less annoying for the average user, perhaps.

    Mostly it is extending the metro stuff.
    That's my take too. Seems to work smoothly though.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by my2cents View Post
    Not much for desktop users.
    Agreed!

    Booting direct to the desktop is faster than Classic Shell
    Agreed; but I like the additional Classic Shell menus/options and that makes the additional 2 second wait worthwhile IMHO.
    I still use Classic Shell as I also like the menu.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Had problems with Classic shell not working right on a 8.1 upgrade. When I click on the Start Button with the left mouse button, nothing happens. The only way I can get to the Classic Shell start menu is to press the Windows key.

    Anyone else see this?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
    Had problems with Classic shell not working right on a 8.1 upgrade. When I click on the Start Button with the left mouse button, nothing happens. The only way I can get to the Classic Shell start menu is to press the Windows key.

    Anyone else see this?
    Not having that issue after a clean install but I know that is not your concern. Have you tried an uninstall and reinstall using the latest GA release 4.0.0 (released 10/5)?

    Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Where is the beef in 8.1
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook