Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 does not go to sleep / standby automatically

  1. #31


    Manchester CT
    Posts : 693
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA


    Quote Originally Posted by Steve06 View Post
    John, that would be very helpful if you could ask him. It's exactly the same for me, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, for no apparent reason. At the moment it works so I will wait until it breaks and then unplug the cable as you suggest.
    How to disable network Adapter:

    Click image for larger version

    BTW, how to disable the network adapter was in the sleep post. It's a pain but you really need to read through all posts there. The answer for your problem could be in that post or in other posts on this topic. I ASSUME that you have tried (or at least read) all the other stuff when I make a recommendation here! Your solution could have been answered long ago in the posts.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Posts : 60
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Hey guys. I need your help. I have gone through this process multiple times. I get my Homegroup setup and set the shares properly. Then I set my timer to one minute and walk away. Within about ten minutes, one computer will sleep. But the other one does not. I've left it alone for about an hour or more and it still doesn't sleep.

    I wiggle the mouse and wake the first computer and mess around for just a bit and within a couple of minutes, the other computer finally sleeps. Then, I walk away from the first computer and it won't go back to sleep.

    This has become very frustrating. I just can't seem to get it figured out. Are you guys having similar issues? Can you actually get all of your computers in your network to sleep at the same time or are you having my problem too? What can you suggest I try?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Manchester CT
    Posts : 693
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA


    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
    Hey guys. I need your help. I have gone through this process multiple times. I get my Homegroup setup and set the shares properly. Then I set my timer to one minute and walk away. Within about ten minutes, one computer will sleep. But the other one does not. I've left it alone for about an hour or more and it still doesn't sleep.

    I wiggle the mouse and wake the first computer and mess around for just a bit and within a couple of minutes, the other computer finally sleeps. Then, I walk away from the first computer and it won't go back to sleep.

    This has become very frustrating. I just can't seem to get it figured out. Are you guys having similar issues? Can you actually get all of your computers in your network to sleep at the same time or are you having my problem too? What can you suggest I try?
    Getting closer! Did you do what I highlighted in post 23? Can you access all folders that you have shared from all machines? Homegroup has to be working in all ways before sleep will occur.

    1. Once you have got all the folders working,
    2. and have all machines running,
    3. leave homegroup on all computers,
    4.change the password on one machine and
    5. go log into Homegroup with the new password on the other machine.
    6. verify that all folders can be accessed.
    7. try sleep again.
    IN THAT ORDER!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Posts : 102
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    John, the issue goes away and the system sleeps automatically when disabling Ethernet, so this is established. But how do we narrow down the faulty setting now?

    UPDATE:
    Tried the following:
    - Disabling ipv6 in the Ethernet adapter's settings - did not help
    - ran powercfg /energy duration 300 from an elevated command prompt while the ethernet adapter was enabled. It found 9 errors, mostly related to USB hubs, but the same errors were also recorded when I repeated the exercise having the ethernet adapter disabled. So these errors are probably not relevant for the problem at hand.
    - powercfg /devicequery wake_armed : just the mouse and keyboard appear
    - I tried netstat which shows many connections but do not know how to interpret them or what to look for. Same for Wireshark.
    - powercfg -requestsoverride DRIVER \FileSystem\srvnet SYSTEM did not help, reverted it.
    Last edited by Steve06; 27 Oct 2013 at 09:08.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Posts : 3
    64 bit 8.1

    Thanks!


    All,
    New to forum, google search led me here. I wanted to 1st off say thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Two machines, update from 8 pro to 8.1 pro 64 bit. Asus required me to un check all USB root hubs, allow computer to turn off to save power along with turning off home group and uncheck IPv6 based on the work of your members. I was able to resolve the sleep issue on my AS Rock by additionally going into network and sharing center, advanced sharing setting, guest or public, turn off file and printer sharing. I have cycled it a few times so far so good!

    tom57
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Posts : 102
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by tom57 View Post
    All,
    New to forum, google search led me here. I wanted to 1st off say thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Two machines, update from 8 pro to 8.1 pro 64 bit. Asus required me to un check all USB root hubs, allow computer to turn off to save power along with turning off home group and uncheck IPv6 based on the work of your members. I was able to resolve the sleep issue on my AS Rock by additionally going into network and sharing center, advanced sharing setting, guest or public, turn off file and printer sharing. I have cycled it a few times so far so good!

    tom57
    Thanks for joining the forum and sharing your success story! What exactly do you mean by "un check all USB root hubs"? I would like to try the same as I am desperate for a definitive solution. (I have an Asrock board like one of your PCs)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Posts : 3
    64 bit 8.1


    Click image for larger version
    Hope this helps, I'm not sure if there was one USB root hub in particular that is the culprit, at this point I un checked them all from within properties dialog box, on the power management tab (allow computer to turn off this device to save power)

    tom57
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Manchester CT
    Posts : 693
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA


    Tom, welcome and thanks for the info. Disabling IPV6 basically turns off Homegroup so that may still be your solution. A USB connection to the printer with printer sharing could be hanging up sleep which is why they had you check it.

    Steve, good to know that disabling the Ethernet adapter fixes it.

    Since network connection is the key to a fix for most, we need to figure out what is being connected to or shared that needs to be shut off in order to let the computer sleep. I have been poking around in Computer Management (Control panel - system security - admin tools- computer management). Since my machines are all sleeping properly, I will list out a couple of screens to see if anyone comes up with something different. BTW, on the OTHER post, some have been saying that if all the computers are turned on on the network, one will sleep while the others don't.

    Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

    Some of my shares and users/groups:

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Posts : 1
    windows 8.1


    Hey guys, I am not sure if turning off homegroup will do anything but after i install latest hotfix and graphic drivers from Windows Update. It seems to fix the problem. But just in case, I disable "homegroup" and turn off all "network discovery" and "file and printer sharing" in the Advance Sharing Setting. Hope it will helps others.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Posts : 102
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by nightmares View Post
    Hey guys, I am not sure if turning off homegroup will do anything but after i install latest hotfix and graphic drivers from Windows Update. It seems to fix the problem. But just in case, I disable "homegroup" and turn off all "network discovery" and "file and printer sharing" in the Advance Sharing Setting. Hope it will helps others.
    I pulled all Windows updates there are (except the infamous Bing Desktop) on a daily basis but none helped. Today, I also found out that Asrock published new Windows 8.1 drivers two days ago and installed them all right away, but it did not change anything regarding the hibernation problem. Let's see if the new drivers at least help regarding the other infamous Windows 8.1: Most Metro Apps crash immediately at launch issue.

    I have now on top of leaving homegroup disabled it. I have also unchecked ipv6. No progress yet.
    Last edited by Steve06; 28 Oct 2013 at 08:12.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Windows 8.1 does not go to sleep / standby automatically
Related Threads
Hello all, I am having an extremely frustrating problem with this BSoD, that began occurring yesterday. After waking the computer from sleep, it would blue screen with the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE string, error code 0x0000009f. It doesn't happen immediately after waking, it usually takes a few...
I dont know what else to do, I have posted about this now several times on the Microsoft and the Dell forum, but no one cares about it. I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro since mid January, two of my friends too, and they ran into this problem also a few times (not everytime though they did a windows...
No Wifi after standby in Network & Sharing
After my laptop wakes from standby, wifi will detect no networks. Turning wifi off/on via harware switch on laptop does not help. I need to perform a reboot to get wifi to work again. Laptop is S10-3t with a Broadcom wifi card. It worked fine in Win7. Any idea how could I fix that? I have...
Solved DPC_Watchdog_Violation in relation to Standby in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hi from Germany, since I moved last week from Windows 7 Pro 64-bit to Windows 8 Pro 64-bit I get the DPC_Watchdog_Violation each time my system powers up after it went to standby. I checked with a special tool if my drivers are up to date and updated all outdated ones. Also uninstalled CCC....
Hello, I got a new laptop two weeks ago and it worked well so far. However, since a few days, it doesn't get shutdown to standby mode anymore automatically when it's idling. I've set brightness, screen turn off and standby all on 1 minute to test this. Brightness reduce and screen turn off works...
I have an HTPC that previously had Windows 7 installed. I have it setup to sleep automatically after 3 hours in case we accidentally leave it on. I did a Win8 Pro upgrade on top of it, and it ported all of my apps and settings fine. However, no matter what I do, it won't seem to go to sleep...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook