Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Gimme my Windows 7 back!

  1. #11


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    Seems to me MS forgot there is actually a difference between desktops, laptops, tablets and gaming rigs. They forced a tablet system with 8 IMO.

    I bitched at first too. Then installed Start Menu 8 and now happy, boot straight to desktop with a real start menu. Now there is 8.1 upgrade...........

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 82
    Windows 8.1


    Yeah booting to desktop is a big step forward to recovering the OS to a usable state. I installed 8 mainly because I was told it would improve speed and make e laptop less laggy. What worries me is if we have to patch it up like a rusty bucket we will be using laptop resources unnecessarily to get it into a workable state and make it laggy again.

    I always thought my HDD being 75% full was causing slow down, which is why I moved all media to NAS drives with the idea that the laptop would only store OS and programmes. This may slow down access to the media and library building but I may be able to live with that if tasks like video and photo editing, MS Office, etc. become usable again.

    During the 8.1 install I wiped C drive so I could give 8.1 a fair go and not have residual files that might be incompatible hanging around.

    It's not a bad spec laptop incidentally, a Sony Vaio, dual core processor with 4Gb ram and 350Gb had, certainly not a low end machine I would say mid range, and comparable to some currently on sale. That's why I spent 99 on Windows 8.1 rather than 900 on a better laptop.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 502
    Vanilla 8 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by dakeb View Post
    I guess I was still fuming that Windows shut my pc down after the 8.1 update without giving me a choice in the matter, despite me having ongoing processes that it just chose to crash. And I subsequently required a rant.
    To be fair, it did give a 15 min restart warning. In the store app. If you had it focused.


    And whoever told you 8 was going to be a magic speed bullet over seven might have been confused about a few things.


    Replacing the mechanical HDD with a SDD would have been the lag bullet.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 56
    windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by dakeb View Post
    I hope they upgrade this os back to a full desktop setup soon and stop trying to foist their bloaty tablet apps on us. It isn't ever gonna compete with android.

    This isn't just me being grumpily resistant to change, it's me complaining about just wasting 99 "improving" my laptop.

    This Windows OS is rapidly sinking into a bog of eternal stench.
    If you don't like it now you better jump ship because looking at the way Microsoft is heading things ain't going to get any better for you. Moving over from a Mac I personally like Windows 8.

    Regarding email older than 2 weeks you can set that in the apps settings to grab all your mail.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 82
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by SmartEyeball View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dakeb View Post
    I guess I was still fuming that Windows shut my pc down after the 8.1 update without giving me a choice in the matter, despite me having ongoing processes that it just chose to crash. And I subsequently required a rant.
    To be fair, it did give a 15 min restart warning. In the store app. If you had it focused.


    And whoever told you 8 was going to be a magic speed bullet over seven might have been confused about a few things.


    Replacing the mechanical HDD with a SDD would have been the lag bullet.
    Yeah I saw the warning of impending doom. Trouble is, I was 1h 40m into a 2h download and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. Hence the anger.

    I considered replacing the HDD, but adding up all the costs it may become more cost effective to buy a new laptop.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 82
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dakeb View Post
    I hope they upgrade this os back to a full desktop setup soon and stop trying to foist their bloaty tablet apps on us. It isn't ever gonna compete with android.

    This isn't just me being grumpily resistant to change, it's me complaining about just wasting 99 "improving" my laptop.

    This Windows OS is rapidly sinking into a bog of eternal stench.
    If you don't like it now you better jump ship because looking at the way Microsoft is heading things ain't going to get any better for you. Moving over from a Mac I personally like Windows 8.

    Regarding email older than 2 weeks you can set that in the apps settings to grab all your mail.
    No I won't jump ship because I am anti-Apple and want an OS that all my programmes will run on. I just want Windows to get better, not get worse.

    Thanks for the tip on settings, I will get into them gradually.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Howtogeek.com/tag/Windows8
    Gives you about 50 tips for Win8. I don't know how much difference there is between Win8 & 8.1. There's also loads of free apps in the Store.

    60 Windows 8 tips, tricks and secrets | News | TechRadar

    Windows 8: 20 Tips and Tricks

    The Complete Guide To Windows 8 Startup Menu
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 82
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by robinpe View Post
    Howtogeek.com/tag/Windows8
    Gives you about 50 tips for Win8. I don't know how much difference there is between Win8 & 8.1. There's also loads of free apps in the Store.

    60 Windows 8 tips, tricks and secrets | News | TechRadar

    Windows 8: 20 Tips and Tricks

    The Complete Guide To Windows 8 Startup Menu
    Thanks I will look at these after the weekend
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    I wonder is doing a shutdown /a from a Elevated Command Prompt would have cancelled the shutdown/restart?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 6
    Widows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
    Install Classic Shell or Start8 and boot directly to the Desktop and you have a useable computer again.
    I'll second this!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Gimme my Windows 7 back!
Related Threads
hi guys i have a lenovo y510p which comes with windows 8 64bit. recently i deleted whole partation using diskpart and i forget to make a recovery disk.so can any one tell me plz how to get my windows 8 64 bit or there is another way to get my windows 8. or my frnds have a same laptop as mine so...
Well yesterday I ended up restoring my system back to Windows 7 from 8.1. For some reason there was something causing Windows 8 to run incorrectly and finally crashed while running IE in metro. Kept hanging and had several issues with Adobe Flash where it wouldn't work. I guess I'll run Windows 8.1...
Windows 7 is back! in General Support
See here: "Windows 7 is Back" Says HP | TechBeat
Solved go back to windows 7 in General Support
I have tried my best to like windows 8 and it's not going to happen. I want 7 back. This is a new computer, so I never had 7 on it. I see free downloads when I look, but need to know a safe place to go and the best way to do it.
cant get back to windows 7 in Installation & Setup
i partition a 250gb harddrive in a 50 partition and the rest for windows 8 and it wont let me install 7 also i need the iso links
Can't go back to Windows 7 in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Alright this is going to be a long story. I wanted to try Windows 8 so I installed it on a separate SSD I had from my Windows 7 HDD thinking it would keep separate. I didn't like it so I tried replacing it with Lion OSX. I didn't realize that special precautions had to be taken and that I...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook