Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Oct 17 -- who's got it (W8.1) - Public release only

  1. #91



    I am Woman! Hear Me Roar!
    NJ
    Posts : 1,116
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3


    so far all 3 pcs went fine installing windows 8.1 pro, laptop had a little glitch but I fixed it, tablet went amazing, which I thought that was going to be the worst one, this is a asus vivo tablet 64 gigs running windows 8, in fact I found it is faster now then it was before and I had 30gigs to start prior to the install, and after doing the disk cleanup I still wound up with 30 gigs, not bad
    Interesting, one of the desktop pcs went from windows xp pro to Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8 and now windows 8.1 with not even a bump.
    I have two older test laptops to do tomorrow.
    Each machine (1 did 2 at the same time, and when done downloading I did the next 2, etc etc) took 2/1 hours from start to finish

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #92


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8


    What a weird download. Our took mine over an hour to get to 8%. Now in the last 2 minutes it's fine up to 20%.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #93


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Which ISO did you download there Jimbo? Windows 8.1 (multiple editions) (x64) - DVD (English) is the one I want but I don't see a new version of that one.
    As far as I can see, the 8.1 X64 was uploaded to Technet on 8/15/13. I don't believe newer ones will be uploaded, since they'll all be the RTM version.

    I have the ISO; now hoping I can get the update key and use the ISO.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #94


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    I selected one of the UK versions - but all these are labelled with todays date. !!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
    And all of mine (US English) were uploaded to Technet on 8/15/13.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #95


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    After reading this entire thread, I haven't seen anything that would tell me if I can get a key for my upgrade and use the ISO I downloaded awhile back. I have an HP Pavilion 500-056 with Windows 8 pre-installed and a self built PC dual booting Windows 7 and Windows 8.

    Shore would like ta use that ISO . . .

    Also, I have a friend who has the same HP I have. She wanted the Classic Shell installed on hers. Will that do anything to mess up things with Windows 8.1?

    Of course, I'll have to go to League City, some 91 miles South to install 8.1 for her.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #96


    Posts : 79
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by robinb9 View Post
    so far all 3 pcs went fine installing windows 8.1 pro, laptop had a little glitch but I fixed it, tablet went amazing, which I thought that was going to be the worst one, this is a asus vivo tablet 64 gigs running windows 8, in fact I found it is faster now then it was before and I had 30gigs to start prior to the install, and after doing the disk cleanup I still wound up with 30 gigs, not bad
    Interesting, one of the desktop pcs went from windows xp pro to Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8 and now windows 8.1 with not even a bump.
    I have two older test laptops to do tomorrow.
    Each machine (1 did 2 at the same time, and when done downloading I did the next 2, etc etc) took 2/1 hours from start to finish
    I have an 256 ssd which had 213gb left with Win 8
    When 8.1 installed i had 218gb before disk-cleanup and now 222gb after
    SWEET
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #97


    Hafnarfjrur IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Which ISO did you download there Jimbo? Windows 8.1 (multiple editions) (x64) - DVD (English) is the one I want but I don't see a new version of that one.
    As far as I can see, the 8.1 X64 was uploaded to Technet on 8/15/13. I don't believe newer ones will be uploaded, since they'll all be the RTM version.



    I have the ISO; now hoping I can get the update key and use the ISO.

    Hi there
    Enterprise and VL versions are dated 17 Oct on TechNet - I posted screenshot earlier in the thread - different download to RTM.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #98


    Quote Originally Posted by strollin View Post
    I see the update in the store but I am in no hurry to install it. My Windows 8 laptop and netbook are running fine without it so I'll wait for the dust to settle before I consider installing it. I have the run the preview as well as RTM in a VM and haven't seen anything in 8.1 that makes me in a hurry to do the upgrade.
    Like you I'm in no hurry. Waiting until Nov 14 to let the hiccups be exposed and updated. Give MS time to reconsider making ISO available.

    It does sound like 8.1 uses power & space mgmt better. Plus tile mgmt.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #99


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Which ISO did you download there Jimbo? Windows 8.1 (multiple editions) (x64) - DVD (English) is the one I want but I don't see a new version of that one.
    As far as I can see, the 8.1 X64 was uploaded to Technet on 8/15/13. I don't believe newer ones will be uploaded, since they'll all be the RTM version.



    I have the ISO; now hoping I can get the update key and use the ISO.

    Hi there
    Enterprise and VL versions are dated 17 Oct on TechNet - I posted screenshot earlier in the thread - different download to RTM.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Yeah, all of the Enterprise and VL editions have had new ISO's added as of 10/17/2013. It just made we wonder why only those? They changed something? When I saw those I had a look for the regular version and saw it was still dated 9/9/2013. It's no big deal I have that one and the keys for it. Its just nice to have the newest one on hand so I went looking. The talk on the rollup update made me think they may release a newer version.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #100


    BELGIUM
    Posts : 503
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64


    hi guys,

    i read here that in order to get the update one has to return back to Windows 8.0 which i find ridiculous.

    Am on Windows 8.1 Beta and am not going through the effort.

    But on the MS site it says one can upgrade from Beta to Preview, so which is it.

    thanks

    Jeff
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Oct 17 -- who's got it (W8.1) - Public release only
Related Threads
PC in public area in General Support
Hi, I will install a PC with Windows 8 and a tactile application in a store. Customers will acced to one application (and only one). I want to block them to do anything outside the application, unless they connect a mouse/keyboard (wich will be done for the staff). Actually I managed to...
Public Folders in Customization
Hey Guys, Ive just installed Windows 8 and am about to start personalising it. I want to get rid of the public folders or public USER Could you please advise on how to remove as only I shall use this PC
RTM vs Public Release in General Support
Just a question. Is the RTM the same as the Public Release? Do they have the same build numbers, or are they different? Thanks.
Read more.. Microsoft may release Office 2013 public preview today | Applications - InfoWorld
Greetings, I currently have Windows 8 Release Preview, it is my main OS. I have many programs,files,settings,etc. My question is when the final version of Windows 8 comes out will I be able to upgrade to that version from my current version (Windows 8 Release Preview). What I mean by upgrade...
Hello Members, just a quick question please Will i be able to upgrade from Windows 8 Release Preview, to the Windows 8 final release, and when i mean the term upgrade, i'm talking any programs,files and settings i may have installed while using the Win 8 'Release Preview'. I have searched this...
5510We have info that Windows 8 Release Candidate will be called "Release Preview" and that will be launched sometime in late May or early June. But we must say that all these are just rumors. 5509 Source: winunleaked
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook