Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


I am still keeping my documents in c:\docs\ - Am I mad?

  1. #11


    UK
    Posts : 108
    Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    That's what Libraries are for. You can change the location of your Documents library to anywhere you like.

    Also, if you right click on Documents, there is a tab that says Location, in that you can change the location that is used for the default documents location.
    Please can you tell me how to move my official 'Documents' file (to in this case my c:\docs\)?

    And is this still possible if I have installed Classic Shell, as I have.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)


    I have separate partitions for:
    • OS & Programs
    • Documents
    • Pictures
    • Music
    • Videos
    • Downloads
    • Virtual Machines


    Tutorial
    User Folders - Change Default Location - Windows 7 Help Forums
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 376
    W8.1, W7


    As mentioned, whatever works fine is the right choice, so just find a system you're happy with.

    I always keep OS + (95% of) Programs on its own partition, mainly because it makes any imaging\backup\restore very easy and quick.

    Am not using the C: "My" Documents\Music\Pictures, files are in folders on other disks\partitions, and am using a separate backup system for these files.

    So, basically, reason for having separate partitions here is due to the backup\imaging plan.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    It's a personal preference thing. There is no valid technical reason to do so anymore, other than if you like to format your OS partition frequently.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Arnhem, The Netherlands
    Posts : 1,412
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Media Center Edition


    Please do NOT partition your SSD. That will hugely decrease the performance of your drive. If you want to move your My Documents folder you should move them to another fysical drive, not just a partition on the same drive.

    I did move my documents. That's because I have 5 drives in my pc ==>

    • 1 SSD for Windows and applications
    • 3 HDD's for storage
    • 1 old SSD for the different Virtual Machines I have (e.a. XP, Vista, 7 etc.)



    The library functionality of Windows increased the user experience. This way I can easily access files that are stored on different HDD's. You should try it
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 376
    W8.1, W7


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    There is no valid technical reason to do so anymore, other than if you like to format your OS partition frequently.
    Hello, like? lol. I'd make that "other than the option to format your OS partition". Very, very seldom, but good to be up an running again in 15 minutes if needed (OS disk only = very small backup images). Just my opinion, and a good system here, to each to choose the setup that gets their work done. BTW, I'm mainly on old HD's here, will get some large SSD's (when prices gets normal!), and my backup\partition system etc will probably change.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    There is no valid technical reason to do so anymore, other than if you like to format your OS partition frequently.
    Hello, like? lol. I'd make that "other than the option to format your OS partition". Very, very seldom, but good to be up an running again in 15 minutes if needed (OS disk only = very small backup images). Just my opinion, and a good system here, to each to choose the setup that gets their work done. BTW, I'm mainly on old HD's here, will get some large SSD's (when prices gets normal!), and my backup\partition system etc will probably change.
    It's pretty rare that you need to format your disk partition anymore. If you do a fresh install, Windows just moves your old stuff to Windows.old, or .000, .001, etc.. The only reason to format is if your disk is corrupted. Or maybe you are repartitioning.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    I have about four backup drives all containing backups of my Libraries in various states of disarray.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)


    Quote Originally Posted by Der Snoober View Post
    Please do NOT partition your SSD. That will hugely decrease the performance of your drive. If you want to move your My Documents folder you should move them to another fysical drive, not just a partition on the same drive.
    What if someone only has a single drive in their machine (e.g. laptop)?

    Imaging is a nightmare under that scenario too (as I recently discovered).

    Here is some info about SSD performance that crawfish posted:
    Quote Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    I thought that I read somewhere that "Wear Leveling" isn't as effective if you don't have free space on your SSD.
    The tl;dr version is to leave 25% free to keep performance high. With TRIM, you don't even to leave space unpartitioned.

    AnandTech | Exploring the Relationship Between Spare Area and Performance Consistency in Modern SSDs - Print View

    Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    There is no valid technical reason to do so anymore, other than if you like to format your OS partition frequently.
    Hello, like? lol. I'd make that "other than the option to format your OS partition". Very, very seldom, but good to be up an running again in 15 minutes if needed (OS disk only = very small backup images).
    Since MS has released faulty patches in 3 out of the past 4 months, I say it's almost "regularly" as opposed to "seldom".
    July
    Microsoft Confirms Botched MS13-057 Windows 7 Update
    September
    Microsoft Fixes Botched KB2760411, KB2760588, and KB2760583 Windows 7 Updates
    October
    Microsoft Confirms KB2862330 Windows 7 Update Problems
    Microsoft ?Still Working? on KB2862330 Windows 7 Update Fix

    The ability to:
    • Just replace the OS (as required) without losing personal files, Internet bookmarks, etc. is a necessity
    • Image a partition in a few minutes as opposed to a few hours is too good to overlook
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    UK
    Posts : 108
    Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)


    Regarding having multiple partitions surely having too many become inefficient if for no other reason than because you need to leave some blank space in each one and so if you run out of space in one partition you can't use the spare space from any other partitions. To make the point - taken ad obsurdum if you had say 100 partitions just imagine the problems!


    lehnerus2000
    Please can you say more about imaging. I understand that there is no longer any (built-in) way backing up the operating system in Windows 8. All you can do is create a restore point and hope for the best. But this might not work. And I would be very VERY unhappy if I lost literally days and days of work getting my Windows 8 with all my settings and applications nicely installed.

    So is there any way of backing up an entire (512GB) disk, preferably stored nicely compressed onto some external hard disk? If so what software would you recommend to do so?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
I am still keeping my documents in c:\docs\ - Am I mad?
Related Threads
Hello, After losing my Metro tiles to an error, and not being able to restore or refresh my PC, I decided to purge and re-install. I have several HDD's in my computer, and would like to learn how to map documents, music, etc. to my D:\ drive by default, to save room on C:\ for Windows and...
All my docs have suddenly been duplicated. The duplicate files have been renamed with the machine name (Peters_Laptop). I cannot open the original files and get a message "1 Interrupted Action" An unexpected message is keeping you from copying the file. Error code 0x80070490 Element not found. ...
Can't access Docs or Pics in General Support
I have been using the computer with Windows 8 for 7 months now. I'm basically unhappy with it but have been using it. Yesterday I tried to post a pic on an email. A box came up saying "documents.library-ms" is no longer working. Then an additional window saying There is a problem opening this...
Hello all, When I open a PDF through firefox, and chose to open in the TWINUI app it opens the document fine. But when I then open another PDF in the TWINUI it doesn't let me scroll through both PDF docs...it only lets me look at the one I just opened. When I search for the PDF I previously...
Source A Guy
Redmond-based Courier creator Microsoft has joined Facebook at the f8 conference to announce the introduction of Docs, an application and online service for users of the number one social network. Accessible within Facebook from via Docs.com, the new app comes from Microsoft's FUSE Labs and...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook