Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How to enable Secure boot on Windows 8 at installaton ?

  1. #1


    Posts : 78
    Windows 8.1 64-bit

    How to enable Secure boot on Windows 8 at installaton ?


    Hello everyone,
    I am running Windows 8 x64 without secure boot enabled. According to the screen shot
    Click image for larger version
    secure boot is "Unsupported" but my motherboard has secure boot features in it. Its just that I didn't have secure boot enabled when I installed Windows 8 so Windows is unable to use secure boot now. What are the steps for setting up my computer for installing windows in secure boot mode ?

    Pc Specs-:
    Motherboard: Gigabyte H77m-D3H (rev 1.1)GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-H77M-D3H (rev. 1.1)
    BIOS ver: F11 (Latest)
    Ram:8 Gb DDR3 Corsair
    HardDisk-: 1) Western Digital 160 GB (boot) 2) Western Digital 1 TB.

    I had mailed Gigabyte support on how to enable secure boot they told me the following-:

    "We suggest you can first back up data, reset BIOS items we mentioned in first mail, format your HDD into GPT partition and then reinstall Genuine Windows 8 to test again."

    So I am asking how can I format my HDD into a GPT ? Is there anything else I need to before I install Windows 8 again ?? Please tell me the exact steps to follow.

    Also, there are two things is there any app available via which I can backup my entire C drive including Program Files, all my installed apps, and all of my hotfixes and Windows updates ?? Because I don't want to reinstall everything again and again update my Windows 8.

    Thanks.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by sreyan32 View Post
    Hello everyone,

    Also, there are two things is there any app available via which I can backup my entire C drive including Program Files, all my installed apps, and all of my hotfixes and Windows updates ?? Because I don't want to reinstall everything again and again update my Windows 8.

    Thanks.
    Macrium Reflect Backup and Hard Disk Imaging for Windows 7, Vista, XP and Server 2003/2008

    Macrium Reflect works good.
    If I can get it to work, anybody can.

    I backed up everything on a 64 GB usb drive.

    See this thread:

    Use .wim file or all drives image > Macrium
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Looking at the Overveiw
    GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-H77M-D3H (rev. 1.1)
    & manual, there is NO Secure Boot setting.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 22,071
    64-bit Windows 10


    Hello Sreyan,

    In addition, when you see an "Unsupported" value for the "Secure Boot State" item like that in your System Information screenshot, then I'm afraid that it does indeed mean that secure boot is not supported on your motherboard.

    If it had said "Yes" or "No" instead, then it would mean that secure boot is supported and was either turned on or off on your UEFI settings.

    Secure Boot - Confirm Enabled or Disabled in Windows 8
    Last edited by Brink; 07 Oct 2013 at 11:53. Reason: typo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Looking at the Overveiw
    GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-H77M-D3H (rev. 1.1)
    & manual, there is NO Secure Boot setting.
    Gigabyte has been adding UEFI and other options like SecureBoot to it's latest BIOS's for x77 based motherboards for the last year or so.. most of the manuals won't mention it because the board was not originally shipped with it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Looking at the Overveiw
    GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-H77M-D3H (rev. 1.1)
    & manual, there is NO Secure Boot setting.
    Gigabyte has been adding UEFI and other options like SecureBoot to it's latest BIOS's for x77 based motherboards for the last year or so.. most of the manuals won't mention it because the board was not originally shipped with it.
    Didn't even bother to click through on Theog's link but I did now and:

    Click image for larger version

    Good followup by Mystere.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    So, maybe a screenshot of disk management might clear up this issue. Maybe it is returning an "unsupported" because it is a Legacy install? And, maybe it would have returned an "off" if it were a UEFI install with secure boot disabled? I have a UEFI install and my secure boot is listed as "off." All guesses on my part BTW.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 78
    Windows 8.1 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Looking at the Overveiw
    GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-H77M-D3H (rev. 1.1)
    & manual, there is NO Secure Boot setting.
    Gigabyte has been adding UEFI and other options like SecureBoot to it's latest BIOS's for x77 based motherboards for the last year or so.. most of the manuals won't mention it because the board was not originally shipped with it.
    Yes, you are right the original BIOS(ver F7) did not have secure boot. The latest BIOS added secure boot functionality. I need to know whether the reason for Secure Boot being unsupported is because Windows 8 was a legacy install or whether my motherboard can't handle it??? I need to know definitely. And how do I format my HDD as GPT??
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 78
    Windows 8.1 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sreyan32 View Post
    Hello everyone,

    Also, there are two things is there any app available via which I can backup my entire C drive including Program Files, all my installed apps, and all of my hotfixes and Windows updates ?? Because I don't want to reinstall everything again and again update my Windows 8.

    Thanks.
    Macrium Reflect Backup and Hard Disk Imaging for Windows 7, Vista, XP and Server 2003/2008

    Macrium Reflect works good.
    If I can get it to work, anybody can.

    I backed up everything on a 64 GB usb drive.

    See this thread:

    Use .wim file or all drives image > Macrium
    Does this work for Windows 8 ?? And will it Backup all my windows updates along with my installed apps on my system??
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 22,071
    64-bit Windows 10


    Sreyan,

    Yes it will if you create an image.

    Here's the link for the free version.

    Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How to enable Secure boot on Windows 8 at installaton ?

Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Secure Sign-in with Ctrl+Alt+Delete - Enable or Disable in Windows 8
How Enable or Disable Secure Sign-in with Ctrl+Alt+Delete in Windows 8 and 8.1 Secure sign-in provides an additional layer of security that guarantees that the authentic Windows sign-in screen appears, protecting the system from programs that mimic a sign-in to retrieve password info. This...
Tutorials
Secure Boot and Windows 8 Activation
I'm just about to experiment setting up Secure Boot on my Gigabye GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard running Windows 8 Pro Media Centre edition 64bit. Do I need to reactivate Windows 8 if I enable the secure boot settings in the BIOS? Does it matter whther secure boot is enabled when upgrading to Windows 8.1?
Installation & Setup
Secure Boot - Enable or Disable in UEFI
How to Enable or Disable Secure Boot in UEFI UEFI (replaces BIOS) has a firmware validation process, called secure boot, which is defined in Chapter 27 of the UEFI 2.3.1 specification. Secure boot defines how platform firmware manages security certificates, validation of firmware, and a...
Tutorials
i can't seem to get my windows to go back into secure boot
So i installed my new MSI Z77A-G45 motherboard i tried to put my windows in secure boot i been all threw click bios 2 and i have everything set windows 8 mode is on in the bios, secure boot is enabled and set to standard, boot mode is set to legacy+UEFI makes no difference whether i set it to uefi...
General Support
Windows 8.1 Secure boot
I have a new laptop (HP G7-2292NR) with Windows 8 and today I turned on the laptop for the 3rd time and I see in the bottom right corner Windows 8.1 Secure boot isnít configured correctly build 9600, what does that mean? I am so new to Window 8 that I cannot find a thing, bear with me I need...
System Security
Can't enable Secure boot
Hi I can't seem to get Secure Boot enabled on my laptop, the secure boot option is greyed out and I can't change it to enabled, my computer came with windows 8 on it automatically so I thought it would've been enabled by default.
System Security
Can't enable Secure Boot on my BIOS.
Hi there guys - any help will be much appreciated :) I had a bit of a problem with Malware which led me to reinstall windows 8. I had also at the time been trying to install Linux to dual boot beside it. However, upon reinstalling I got the annoying watermark saying "Secureboot isn't configured...
Installation & Setup
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook