Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Laptop won't turn on after hibernating

  1. #1


    Posts : 15
    Windows 8

    Laptop won't turn on after hibernating


    Recently I did a clean reboot(or something like that) on my laptop.

    Now when I hibernate it and I turn it on all it shows is a blank black screen.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Is it a Toshiba Satellite laptop? When hibernated, they go into a different power down mode- So the BIOS is inaccessible until you shut down in regular mode.

    While it is in that black screen state, hold the power button for over 5 seconds until the laptop turns completely off. Then turn it on again. Repeat this as many times as it takes. Usually when you press the power button coming out of Hibernation it will go back into Hibernation. So hold it for a few seconds longer than usual.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 15
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    Is it a Toshiba Satellite laptop? When hibernated, they go into a different power down mode- So the BIOS is inaccessible until you shut down in regular mode.

    While it is in that black screen state, hold the power button for over 5 seconds until the laptop turns completely off. Then turn it on again. Repeat this as many times as it takes. Usually when you press the power button coming out of Hibernation it will go back into Hibernation. So hold it for a few seconds longer than usual.

    No, It's a HP laptop
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    HP will do the same thing, so it still applies. You have to get it out of that state. Holding the power button should do it, hold it up to 10 seconds, then try to boot. After that, we can figure out how to get it to hibernate.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 15
    Windows 8

    Hibernation problem


    Here is my problem

    I was deleting startup things using CCleaner. I deleted something that I guess was running the internet, so no matter what I had rendered my laptop unable to user the internet. The volume shadow copy was acting up so I couldn't restore.

    I decided to do a clean reboot, but no I have a new problem. Now whenever I hibernate my computer and turn it back on it all it shows is a blank screen. Nothing will happen soI end up having to cold shut the laptop

    I've tried auto repair and all it says is "Can't repair PC" I've done a restore,and even clean booted again but nothing works.
    Last edited by Brink; 05 Oct 2013 at 08:41. Reason: moved to original thread
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    cCleaner would not have deleted anything important, unless you told it to manually. Unfortunately, cCleaner also deletes your Recycle bin as well, so you can't recover it.

    This sounds like a brick wall, the system should go into a different power-down mode when hibernated. Can you get into your BIOS and check your ACPI options, set it to either S3 or Auto.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 15
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    cCleaner would not have deleted anything important, unless you told it to manually. Unfortunately, cCleaner also deletes your Recycle bin as well, so you can't recover it.

    This sounds like a brick wall, the system should go into a different power-down mode when hibernated. Can you get into your BIOS and check your ACPI options, set it to either S3 or Auto.
    I manually deleted it myself.

    I don't know how to reach the BIOS of a laptop
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 15
    Windows 8


    I uninstalled Classic shell and now use something called "Windows 8 Start button"

    I don't know if it means anything, but I've been hibernating via that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 154
    Win7


    Sorry I'm out of breath but I ran over here from SevenForums to answer:

    It appears that Classic Shell was hindering your hibernate?

    I use Windows 7 Start Menu for Windows 8 which grafts on the actual Win7 Start Menu from Win7 on another partition or the WIn7 installer. It also toggles off Metro so you only have to change your Default Programs in Control Panel to avoid the crApps.

    That particular Start button makes Win8 almost like Win7 in terms of familiarity and ease of use.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 15
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
    Sorry I'm out of breath but I ran over here from SevenForums to answer:

    It appears that Classic Shell was hindering your hibernate?

    I use Windows 7 Start Menu for Windows 8 which grafts on the actual Win7 Start Menu from Win7 on another partition or the WIn7 installer. It also toggles off Metro so you only have to change your Default Programs in Control Panel to avoid the crApps.

    That particular Start button makes Win8 almost like Win7 in terms of familiarity and ease of use.
    The problem doesn't seem to be fixed though even though I hibernated from that Win7 button for Win8
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Laptop won't turn on after hibernating
Related Threads
My windows 8.1 Asus laptop won't turn on in Performance & Maintenance
Okay so it all started this morning when I was watching some YouTube videos, I realised my keyboard wasn't working and my cpu usage was at around one hundred percent. so I decided to do a reboot. Now it won't go to the lock screen where I put In my password... So after the loading screen it...
Help, Laptop will not turn on in Performance & Maintenance
Okay so I have got an Asus Vivobook S550CA Laptop and it came installed with windows 8 - Specs CPU: Intel Core i5 -3337U Mobile GPU: Nvidia Geforce 635m 2gb DDR3 + Intel HD Graphics RAM: 8gb When I was just doing work on my laptop, It just shut down. Even when the charger is in, no lights...
Laptop Turn Off in General Support
Hi, i have an Acer Aspire E1-570, Windows 8, that just shuts itself down for no apparent reason and will not turn back on, sometimes for days! Have tried removing battery, letting it cool down, all to no avail. When charger is plugged in, unit feels warm (not hot) underneath towards the front. No...
Laptop: Asus Vivobook S550CM 8GB Ram everytime i press the power button, it just lights up then turns off. please help. I recently used ASUS Backtracker to fix my other issues.
Hi, I have an Asus laptop running Windows 8.1. I have an hdmi cable connected to my tv with a wireless logitech keyboard and mouse. Is there anyway to turn the laptop without opening the lid by using the keyboard? I have searched and people suggested getting some external button which I am not...
hi..ad3fskj;l im using a small laptop with an external keyboard. the keyboard from the laptop seems to have a problem. it types random keys as if something stick is holding it down. ^that happens at random times and occurs with random keys. i've decided to use this external keyboard. how can...
Hi to all Eight forum. I m here with a strange problem, it happens from yesterday, the problem is when I playing games on my Dell inspiron N4050 and then the main power where the charger pluged in is turn off (it is the most problem in my country that there is heavy short fall of power), the...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook