Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Laptop won't turn on after hibernating

  1. #11


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Do you have a "Hibernate" selection in the Charms Bar Power button? Try using that.

    You may want to do an "SFC /scannow". run it three times, after that, we'll move on to restoring your Windows 8 Image via a DISM command.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 15
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    Do you have a "Hibernate" selection in the Charms Bar Power button? Try using that.

    You may want to do an "SFC /scannow". run it three times, after that, we'll move on to restoring your Windows 8 Image via a DISM command.
    I used the hibernate in Win+I and it worked. The scan also didn't find anything weird.

    My question is why is that? It use to work fine (using hibernate from an installed start button) so why does it suddenly not work?

    I find Win* really annoying so I'd rather not use Win+ anything
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 154
    Win7


    If you have a System Restore Point before Hibernate problems I'd use it now.

    You can troubleshoot Hibernate same as Sleep Mode Problems - Vista Forums.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 15
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
    If you have a System Restore Point before Hibernate problems I'd use it now.

    You can troubleshoot Hibernate same as Sleep Mode Problems - Vista Forums.

    A restore point won't help. I've already done that and some.

    The link also doesn't seem to help with my problem
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 15
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by sailornaruto39 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    Do you have a "Hibernate" selection in the Charms Bar Power button? Try using that.

    You may want to do an "SFC /scannow". run it three times, after that, we'll move on to restoring your Windows 8 Image via a DISM command.
    I used the hibernate in Win+I and it worked. The scan also didn't find anything weird.

    My question is why is that? It use to work fine (using hibernate from an installed start button) so why does it suddenly not work?

    I find Win* really annoying so I'd rather not use Win+ anything

    Scratch that, it doesn't work for that either. No matter what I do or how I hibernate it never fully turns of from hibernating.

    SO now what?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    USA, Idaho
    Posts : 1,062
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)


    It would appear that it is time to reinstall the OS. . .Good luck.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    What is the state of your hardware, try running Memtest, see if you have any memory errors.

    I use a Suite called "Performance Test" that checks all the hardware in my system, that might find a glitch somewhere. Otherwise I agree, try doing an In-Place Install before you do a Fresh Install.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 15
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    What is the state of your hardware, try running Memtest, see if you have any memory errors.

    I use a Suite called "Performance Test" that checks all the hardware in my system, that might find a glitch somewhere. Otherwise I agree, try doing an In-Place Install before you do a Fresh Install.
    I'm not sure what you meant but I downloaded something called Performance test 8.0 and it gave my computer a rating of 921.3
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Actually, I forgot to say, check for a Video Memory error. You use the Video Tests for that program, and if your system freezes up during the Windowed 3D test, you may have a bad stick of ram on your Video Card. That happened to me with my old Dell Laptop. the Video was Dedicated and nothing I could do to fix it.

    If this happens on a PC, you can just swap out your Video Card, but on a laptop, your laptop is doomed.

    But if you ran ALL of the tests and it didn't freeze up and you got THAT score which is better than the 820 I got last time I used it, then there is nothing wrong with either your Ram or your Video ram. It was just a stab in the dark.

    With a score like that, your hardware is in good shape so I would try an In Place Install first - You can use something like Aida64 to pull your License Key out, I don't think Speccy will give you your full Windows Key. there used to be a Program called Everest Home, but they stopped making the free version, I think that became Aida64, check for a free version of it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 15
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    Actually, I forgot to say, check for a Video Memory error. You use the Video Tests for that program, and if your system freezes up during the Windowed 3D test, you may have a bad stick of ram on your Video Card. That happened to me with my old Dell Laptop. the Video was Dedicated and nothing I could do to fix it.

    If this happens on a PC, you can just swap out your Video Card, but on a laptop, your laptop is doomed.

    But if you ran ALL of the tests and it didn't freeze up and you got THAT score which is better than the 820 I got last time I used it, then there is nothing wrong with either your Ram or your Video ram. It was just a stab in the dark.

    With a score like that, your hardware is in good shape so I would try an In Place Install first - You can use something like Aida64 to pull your License Key out, I don't think Speccy will give you your full Windows Key. there used to be a Program called Everest Home, but they stopped making the free version, I think that became Aida64, check for a free version of it.
    So try this "In-place"
    install to try a fix the problem?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Laptop won't turn on after hibernating
Related Threads
My windows 8.1 Asus laptop won't turn on in Performance & Maintenance
Okay so it all started this morning when I was watching some YouTube videos, I realised my keyboard wasn't working and my cpu usage was at around one hundred percent. so I decided to do a reboot. Now it won't go to the lock screen where I put In my password... So after the loading screen it...
Help, Laptop will not turn on in Performance & Maintenance
Okay so I have got an Asus Vivobook S550CA Laptop and it came installed with windows 8 - Specs CPU: Intel Core i5 -3337U Mobile GPU: Nvidia Geforce 635m 2gb DDR3 + Intel HD Graphics RAM: 8gb When I was just doing work on my laptop, It just shut down. Even when the charger is in, no lights...
Laptop Turn Off in General Support
Hi, i have an Acer Aspire E1-570, Windows 8, that just shuts itself down for no apparent reason and will not turn back on, sometimes for days! Have tried removing battery, letting it cool down, all to no avail. When charger is plugged in, unit feels warm (not hot) underneath towards the front. No...
Laptop: Asus Vivobook S550CM 8GB Ram everytime i press the power button, it just lights up then turns off. please help. I recently used ASUS Backtracker to fix my other issues.
Hi, I have an Asus laptop running Windows 8.1. I have an hdmi cable connected to my tv with a wireless logitech keyboard and mouse. Is there anyway to turn the laptop without opening the lid by using the keyboard? I have searched and people suggested getting some external button which I am not...
hi..ad3fskj;l im using a small laptop with an external keyboard. the keyboard from the laptop seems to have a problem. it types random keys as if something stick is holding it down. ^that happens at random times and occurs with random keys. i've decided to use this external keyboard. how can...
Hi to all Eight forum. I m here with a strange problem, it happens from yesterday, the problem is when I playing games on my Dell inspiron N4050 and then the main power where the charger pluged in is turn off (it is the most problem in my country that there is heavy short fall of power), the...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook