Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Win 8 uefi boot

  1. #11


    Posts : 10
    win 8


    @alphanumeric
    thanks for your continuous support , i have already tried all of those methods bt still i cant access the bios....

    and that is exactly what i was saying that " With UEFI BIOS the Windows 8 Logo (the blue box) that is displayed above the circling balls on the Windows boot screen, can be replaced with the manufacturers Logo " bt this is just not in my case...
    Last edited by techboi; 23 Sep 2013 at 08:21.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by techboi View Post
    @alpha numeric
    thanks for your continuous support , i have already tried all of those methods bt still i cant access the bios....

    and that is exactly what i was saying that " With UEFI BIOS the Windows 8 Logo (the blue box) that is displayed above the circling balls on the Windows boot screen, can be replaced with the manufacturers Logo " bt this is just not in my case...
    It may sound drastic but one option is to power down completely and unplug the SATA Cable from your hard drive. The BIOS will then give you a no OS found message and you'll be able to enter setup. Once you have things set the way you want power down again and plug the drive back in. Another option, if its a desktop PC, is to reset the BIOS to defaults with the motherboard jumper.

    The way I think it works is the Blue Box is replaced "if" there is a logo stored in the BIOS. Maybe the manufacturer didn't include it? I know on my ASUS laptop I could find no BIOS setting that turned that functionality on or off. If I install in UEFI mode I get the ASUS Logo.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by techboi View Post
    i tried to enter the "UEFI settings" via win8 .... pc settinngs .. general........and so on.... i dont see the "UEFI firmware settings" although i checked that my bios is UEFI . i checked it via "msinfo32". actually i cant get access to my bios after installing windows 8 in uefi mode . my system now stucks and booting has gotten more slower and now i want to revert back to old legacy bios but as i told cant access my bios to disable uefi boot.
    kindly help ...
    If you see this, click Troubleshoot:

    Startup Options Menu - Boot to in Windows 8

    Click image for larger version

    Then click Advanced options:

    Click image for larger version

    Firmware settings are there.
    Or should be.

    Click image for larger version
    Last edited by Brink; 23 Sep 2013 at 10:51. Reason: added tutorial link for more info
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    I can still get into BIOS on my Acer laptop using the F2 key on boot. Just have to be very, very quick and start tapping the key as soon as you hit the power button.

    My experience on Acer, maybe won't work on other makes.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by techboi View Post
    hey i have Lenovo Essential G480 core i5 released in 2012 . In Bios settings it shows only "UEFI enable or disable " . I enabled it and installed Windows8 in uefi boot Using uefi enabled usb . I read on internet that Laptop manufacturers name appears instead of win8 logo on uefi boot, it does not happen in my case also booting has gotten more slower .. and computer is not as smooth as it was before with old bios , it stuck sometimes now..i also checked my bios by "msinfo32" it shows my bios is UEFI... still its not like the real thing at all ...kindly help.. reply soon...
    There have been several BIOS updates for this laptop, the most recent was last month, specifically for Windows 8 compatibility.

    You should go to the Lenovo website and download the latest bios update and apply it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    @ popeye What key you press depends on make and model of the PC. On my ASUS desktop motherboards its the Del key. On my ASUS laptop its the Esc key. On my Wife's Acer laptop its F2. Every once in a while I'll forget which one I'm supposed to use and wonder why I can't get into the BIOS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    @ popeye What key you press depends on make and model of the PC. On my ASUS desktop motherboards its the Del key. On my ASUS laptop its the Esc key. On my Wife's Acer laptop its F2. Every once in a while I'll forget which one I'm supposed to use and wonder why I can't get into the BIOS.

    Yea, I know the keys are different on different makes but I was trying to make the point that, at least for me, I can still get into BIOS using the keyboard on boot. I don't have to go through the 8 mumbo jumbo.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    @ popeye What key you press depends on make and model of the PC. On my ASUS desktop motherboards its the Del key. On my ASUS laptop its the Esc key. On my Wife's Acer laptop its F2. Every once in a while I'll forget which one I'm supposed to use and wonder why I can't get into the BIOS.

    Yea, I know the keys are different on different makes but I was trying to make the point that, at least for me, I can still get into BIOS using the keyboard on boot. I don't have to go through the 8 mumbo jumbo.
    Ah, OK, now I got you.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 10
    win 8


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by techboi View Post
    @alpha numeric
    thanks for your continuous support , i have already tried all of those methods bt still i cant access the bios....

    and that is exactly what i was saying that " With UEFI BIOS the Windows 8 Logo (the blue box) that is displayed above the circling balls on the Windows boot screen, can be replaced with the manufacturers Logo " bt this is just not in my case...
    It may sound drastic but one option is to power down completely and unplug the SATA Cable from your hard drive. The BIOS will then give you a no OS found message and you'll be able to enter setup. Once you have things set the way you want power down again and plug the drive back in. Another option, if its a desktop PC, is to reset the BIOS to defaults with the motherboard jumper.

    The way I think it works is the Blue Box is replaced "if" there is a logo stored in the BIOS. Maybe the manufacturer didn't include it? I know on my ASUS laptop I could find no BIOS setting that turned that functionality on or off. If I install in UEFI mode I get the ASUS Logo.
    i did as u said .. removed the battery then remove my hard dirve and turn on my laptop... still no success
    i got this error
    check cable connector
    PXE MOF : EXITING INTEL PXE ROM

    i even removed that small silver cell and then tried to enter bios bt the same above error ....


    NOW what should i do...............
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 10
    win 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by techboi View Post
    hey i have Lenovo Essential G480 core i5 released in 2012 . In Bios settings it shows only "UEFI enable or disable " . I enabled it and installed Windows8 in uefi boot Using uefi enabled usb . I read on internet that Laptop manufacturers name appears instead of win8 logo on uefi boot, it does not happen in my case also booting has gotten more slower .. and computer is not as smooth as it was before with old bios , it stuck sometimes now..i also checked my bios by "msinfo32" it shows my bios is UEFI... still its not like the real thing at all ...kindly help.. reply soon...
    There have been several BIOS updates for this laptop, the most recent was last month, specifically for Windows 8 compatibility.

    You should go to the Lenovo website and download the latest bios update and apply it.
    yes u r rite bt after installing the win8 in uefi boot , now when i run that update , system hangS and i cant do any thing ..... i updated it last time in 2012 when i was using the old "LEGACY BIOS"......
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Win 8 uefi boot
Related Threads
Solved Cannot boot into UEFI in General Support
Hi there, i cannot seem to enter in the UEFI bios of my PC. I am using a mechanical keyboard and tried with a regular DELL keyboard. The BIOS screen goes so fast that both the keyboard do not load on time to press DEL or F2. I don't see the settings to boot to UEFI in Windows 8.1 anymore... ...
♫ Just bought a Dell Optiplex 7010 Mini-Tower with Win 8 Pro 64-bit, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive and an Intel i5 3470 processor. Right now, it has Dell BIOS version A16. It is normally in UEFI ON and Secure Boot ON, so that F12 on bootup (one-time boot options) does NOT normally show the...
Hallo, After creating a UEFI bootable USB thumb drive with Rufus (using Windows 8.1 Enterprise ISO x64), for a Dell Optiplex 3010 (configured as UEFI only, no CSM, latest firmware version, Windows 8 installed), I didn't see a USB boot option, so I tried to add one manually. Unfortunately I...
Hello to the forum. Thanks for the welcome. And thanks for pointing me in this subforum. I have a notebook toshiba satellite L850-1HU with UEFI Default is win 8 os, recently upgraded to 8.1. Now I need to win 7. I have a professional license N sp1 x64 and then supports UEFI
Dear Friends, Long time reader of this forum but a first time poster, so please forgive me if this question has already been asked and answered. Laptop: ASUS UX31A-DB71, latest BIOS: 218 Originally my laptop came with Windows 7 and when i looked at disk management my disks were formatted...
Hello, first post here... First, some context: I have a Dell Inspiron 15R SE that came with Windows 8. I've managed to get a working dual-boot system with Ubuntu 12.10. I can't remember exactly how I done that, but I remember that I had to disable secure boot. I think that the boot...
Uefi pxe boot? in General Support
Hi, Has anyone tried UEFI PXE booting to a WDS server to install Windows 8? if so what motherboard did you use?
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook