Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Blurry text problem has not been fixed in Win 8.1 RTM

  1. #31


    Portsmouth Hants
    Posts : 772
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Does it look bad to you?
    No, Popeye, neither attachment does on IE10 or Chrome - but these are now images, and whatever my system does to render text has no effect on images.

    If there's a difference on your system which looks bad to you, please use the Magnifier in your image to show how the distortion appears to you, and point it out.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    You don't seem to get that just because a few vocal people post something all over doesn't mean it's a problem that a large number of people have. They simply don't.
    It's a problem that *I* have. Why are you spending your time telling me I don't? Do *you* know how I can affect the appearance of text in 7 and 8 on my hardware?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by fafhrd View Post
    Does it look bad to you?
    No, Popeye, neither attachment does on IE10 or Chrome - but these are now images, and whatever my system does to render text has no effect on images.

    If there's a difference on your system which looks bad to you, please use the Magnifier in your image to show how the distortion appears to you, and point it out.
    fafhrd, I don't have a problem. My question was to joncr but your point about it being an image is well taken. My desktop, browser all fonts look fine.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Portsmouth Hants
    Posts : 772
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Thanks for the reply. It all goes to show how difficult it is to discuss this problem without giving some clear evidence of the problems people are experiencing. If I can see part of the whole picture now, there are several proprietary rendering systems in use by Windows, and various Desktop applications may use their own rendering methods too.

    If all easy to get to font smoothing and sub-pixel rendering options are turned off at the OS level, Windows Explorer still smooths fonts on the desktop and in Explorer Windows. Then there's the application level smoothing. Then there is the Modern UI.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Why not just contact Microsoft Customer Support since you aren't getting an answer here ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by joncr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    You don't seem to get that just because a few vocal people post something all over doesn't mean it's a problem that a large number of people have. They simply don't.
    It's a problem that *I* have. Why are you spending your time telling me I don't? Do *you* know how I can affect the appearance of text in 7 and 8 on my hardware?
    I didn't say you didn't have a problem. Obviously you do, or you wouldn't keep talking about it over and over again. But because you do, doesn't mean everyone else does, or even a large percentage of people do. I've seen no evidence of any large scale font rendering problem, which leads me to believe that the problem is either in personal preference, or incompatible, faulty, or mis-calibrated hardware.

    Because most people do not have a problem with font rendering, it's hard to argue that this is a problem with the OS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Fafhrd, thanks. I can't post a screenshot, as I said upthread, because I don't have Windows installed at the moment. Installing it is a 4-hour affair. I'll do that when I find something new to try.

    On an iPad, your screenshot looks like a sample of text with the subpixel bits lit up. I see that, too, as expected. But, again, there is smearing, meaning it looks like someone painted the text and then brushed a hand against it. This makes letters appear to have extraneous black pixels attached to them. The lower portions of many characters look as if they have a blob of black extending below the line.

    Large bolded text, say 36-60 pt range, is often shadowed by strands of gray pixels of equal thickness, at a distance of several pixels. The characters can appear in two tones of black. This is pronounced IE, and present in FF and Chrome.

    Interface text, and all standard body text, is pixellated, in and out of browsers. Curves are stairstepped and and can count individual pixels from normal viewing distance. Dark pixels inside loops are apparent.

    I'm not scaling and don't think IE is. Monitors are at native resolution.

    You came close to saying Windows looks best on less capable hardware. Should I take it that my Dell 24-inch IPS 1920x1200 and the ThinkPad's 15.6-inch 1920x1080 142-dpi just magnify whatever flaws exist in Windows?

    I'm not buying new hardware because I already have better-than-average hardware that only shows these problems with Windows. And, as I mentioned earlier, I see the same on the NEC's and Ilyama displays in my friend's photo studio. I've spent a lot of time researching this. I've tried what seem to be the available options. Now, I'm looking for more. For exampe, is there a third-party utility that would allow me to adjust hinting levels and select the subpixel mode? I.e., set grayscale and full hinting, or RGB and slight hinting?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    Screen snip of fafhrd's above post. Does it look bad to you? Please click on it to get correct size.

    Attachment 27205
    I'd take that. It's in a different league than what I see. A bit fuzzy on an iPad, and the top line isn't very dark, but without the faults I've described.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    If the problem is in your hardware, then screenshots will not show any problems, because the actual bitmaps will be fine.. it's just subpixel rendering that will be faulty, and since that's display specific, it won't appear in the image if viewed on a different monitor.

    The "smearing" you mention is called "anti-aliasing". It's deliberate, and you can obviously turn it off if you don't like it, but most people prefer it to the alternative.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post

    Because most people do not have a problem with font rendering, it's hard to argue that this is a problem with the OS.
    Yes, yes, Windows honor is secure. Now, do you have any suggestions for me that don't amount to throwing out $3500 in hardware and going on a serial shopping spree?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Blurry text problem has not been fixed in Win 8.1 RTM
Related Threads
Microsoft to Fix Blurry Text Bug in Windows 8.1 RTM
Recently I bought a Intel (R) Pentium G2020 ~ 2.90 GHz (2 CPUs) which came with a Intel HD Graphics integrated video chip and installed Windows 8. My monitor is a Dell one LCD and its resolution is 1280x1024(32 bit) 60 Ghz. Recently, I'm suffering text blurry problem. If you see the following...
I can't get the update to work! This is my second thread concerning this problem. The download stops at 50% then reloads and starts all over again. This is not an isolated problem as I've noticed many other users having the same exact issue. Every time I get a response from someone to try this or...
After update to 8.1 first thing I noticed is that my installation windows/boxes are blurry, both graphics, text and buttons. Then I opened up Logitech Setpoint and found out that its blurry too. Applications such and Office or Adobe do not have blurriness in text or interface. Also I noticed...
I bought a brand new Sony VAIO touchscreen laptop with windows 8.The laptop is full HD with a resolution of 1920 x 1080. However i immediately noticed that everything looked too tiny.The text was difficult to read and the taskbar and icons were too tiny.So i went in "Display" and changed the DPI...
First of all, I believe it ain't a hardware issue. Said that, let's proceed. Hi! I've been overclocking my GTX550 Ti for a while, and it never went like this. I always clocked my card to 1GHz proc and 2GHz memories (exactly 1000MHz and 2000MHz), but today I decided to go further and clock the...
Blurry Text in IE10 Desktop in Browsers & Mail
Text in IE10 Desktop on my machine is blurry. Clear Type Tuner doesn't help. In Windows Explorer and Firefox 11.0 text is fine. Any ideas? :think:
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook