Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Issues with BIOS

  1. #1


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8

    Issues with BIOS


    Hi im a new user here, and im not really good with all this tech stuff! Im having issues with my laptop at the moment as it wouldnt boot past a blue screen, so i went in to BIOS and disabled UEFI and Secure Boot and enables "cmos" i think it was so i could boot of a CD, i did this to check for hard drive errors with the CD so it turns out theres a problem with my hard drive and im going to a shop to get it sorted but i need some help
    I dont know how to re enable the UEFI and Secure Boot, without the cd in when i boot the laptop it comes up with a boot menu which shows 2 options
    "SATA: HDD::HITACHI HTS547575A9E384" and "SATA CD:: TSSTcorp CDDUQ SN 208BB"
    there's no option to get in to the bios settings and go back to UEFI, ive tried pressing delete, f10, f2, f11, f12, like all the buttons upon start up and nothing is working!
    Does anyone have an idea of how to re enable UEFI and secure boot, please could you explain it simply because like i said I'm really not a pro at this stuff, thank you

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    I think you got to do it from Within Windows 8, read this:

    UEFI Firmware Settings - Boot to from inside Windows 8

    Your boot options show your hard drive and then your Optical drive, looks like in the order of boot, the Optical Drive should be first.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    I think you got to do it from Within Windows 8, read this:

    UEFI Firmware Settings - Boot to from inside Windows 8

    Your boot options show your hard drive and then your Optical drive, looks like in the order of boot, the Optical Drive should be first.
    See thats the thing i cant get in to windows 8, i cant only get to the start up screen, i reckon a connection between the hard drive and my laptop is broken and so its not longer being recognised by my laptop which hopefully the tech guys at the store im going to tomorrow should be able to fix, i was just hoping id be able to switch back to the secure setup and uefi mode so theyd see what i saw
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Most OEM use the F2 key to enter BIOS.

    Reset the BIOS to Defaults,

    Click image for larger version

    Secure Boot to ENABLED.

    Click image for larger version

    First boot device to Windows Boot Manager.

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Most OEM use the F2 key to enter BIOS.

    Reset the BIOS to Defaults,

    Click image for larger version

    Secure Boot to ENABLED.

    Click image for larger version

    First boot device to Windows Boot Manager.

    Click image for larger version
    hey its physically not letting me access the bios set up ive tried everything, f2, f10, f11, f12, f6, f9, the f10 and del button, is there any other way?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerIssues View Post
    Hi im a new user here, and im not really good with all this tech stuff! Im having issues with my laptop at the moment as it wouldnt boot past a blue screen, so i went in to BIOS and disabled UEFI and Secure Boot and enables "cmos" i think it was so i could boot of a CD, i did this to check for hard drive errors with the CD so it turns out theres a problem with my hard drive and im going to a shop to get it sorted but i need some help
    I dont know how to re enable the UEFI and Secure Boot, without the cd in when i boot the laptop it comes up with a boot menu which shows 2 options
    "SATA: HDD::HITACHI HTS547575A9E384" and "SATA CD:: TSSTcorp CDDUQ SN 208BB"
    there's no option to get in to the bios settings and go back to UEFI, ive tried pressing delete, f10, f2, f11, f12, like all the buttons upon start up and nothing is working!
    Does anyone have an idea of how to re enable UEFI and secure boot, please could you explain it simply because like i said I'm really not a pro at this stuff, thank you
    Can you boot into Windows with this "CD" inserted ?

    Did you have a blue screen before you changed things in the Bios ?

    If so how did you get into Bios then ?

    Reword your post so it is more understandable.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    I imagine he got in using UEFI. If UEFI is shut off, the the fix from the Tutorial probably won't work.

    You got to hold F8 as you boot up, and then you should get an 'Advanced Boot Options" show up in your Boot screen, click that, then turn on the UEFI from within there.

    If yo can't get into it, shut off any Automatic Log in, and then you'll see it, on the Log In screen.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Look try this:

    Click image for larger version

    Put a check in the box that says "Time to show Recovery Options" - and set it to 10 seconds, that way, when the Recovery Options are shown, you will have 10 seconds to click on them, get into em, and then reset your BIOS to UEFI.

    And I still believe you cant get IN to your BIOS is because you are not hitting the key fast enough on boot. It's gotta be immediate.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Issues with BIOS
Related Threads
Hi all, I have an HP Elitebook 9470m for work with Windows 7 pro installed. I would like to be able to boot a personal copy of windows 8 from my external usb 3.0 drive (western digital elements) so i followed this tutorial: How to Run a Portable Version of Windows from a USB Drive and got...
Solved BIOS Update in Drivers & Hardware
This issue has been an ongoing one about close to a year after i purchased my PC. It is an ASUS PC when i go to the support site for updates in the past and now for my model i see BIOS updates. Lately they have been all CAP Bios's,any time i try to use these type of BIOS's it is not recognized...
Hi There, I just built a desktop with a sabertooth x79 motherboard, and am running Windows 8.1 pro 64-bit. When I click the UEFI BIOS Firmware live tile via the change PC settings>update and recovery>recovery>etc. my computer reboots normally to Windows and will not open BIOS. I have tried...
Solved About Partitions and BIOS in General Support
Hi , I am new to this forum.I would like to ask what is OEM, EFI and unallocated partitions?How can i merge unallocated partitions into primary one???Another question is when my alienware restart , I just see my alienware Logo, cant enter to BIOS ??Computer logins smoothly just cant seem to enter...
Just a thought...... Currently we build around 80,000 pc's a year here, with a fairly low attach rate of Nvidia Cards (Geforce G210, Quadro 600 and Quadro 2000D). I was just speaking to one of my Taiwanese colleagues who said their new G210 VGA Cards with a UEFI Bios will not work on Windows 7...
New BIOS => EFI in Drivers & Hardware
I think we are headed for EFI, a new Intel developed standard to replace the BIOS. The 100MB boot partition we are seeing in 7 is just the beginning. Extensible Firmware Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
New BIOS => EFI in General Support
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook