Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


all power options are gone!

  1. #21


    Sorry but can't totally agree about windows finding drivers. Although W8 has gone long way in finding drivers for all kinds of hardware, it is downloading and installing driver only from MS data base, does not download drivers from the HW manufactures. They are just basic drivers, without bells and whistles "real" drivers usually provide. Win8 silently downloaded drivers for some really ancient and strange HW when I installed it, drivers that I was hunting for long time while using win7. There were few drivers like for Kworld TV card and Bearpaw scanner that were wrong but luckily I was able to find some modified drivers for them. On the other hand, drivers for printers HP4l, HP6and even HP3 and hp1300 were unattainable from HP but now work just fine from MS data base. As I can attest to, if there 's no harm in trying to find drivers thru MS if all else fails but is still best to get them from OEM if they exist. And yes there's a lot of drivers that do not exist in MS data base but can be found other ways. Other ways to find some drivers that are particularly difficult to find is to check at forums. especially ones that deal with the manufacturers for that HW, there are ways and it's being done, to modify drivers from older OSs even from XP, one of them is for my Bearpaw scanner and said Tv card, both modified from w7 and XP drivers to work with win8. The worst case scenario is for "unknown device", than you are in for some serious digging. Fortunately there's no too many non "plug&pray" HW that fits newer systems,otherwise that would be real nightmare.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Well, Count Mike, the only Drivers you need to worry about from MS are the Video drivers they offer, which have a high probability of being the wrong drivers. Actually, what I mean is - WORRY about MS offering Video Drivers, and DON'T GET THEM.

    I'm just saying, for the most part, MS finds what is needed when it is needed. No person who buys good video cards will ever allow MS updates for them, they will get them from the Maker.

    All other drivers, chipset drivers,m Modem, Audio drivers, the ones MS finds are more than sufficient.

    But my idea is, if your Original Drivers work? Leave em alone!

    It is the same principle, when I go to the Doctor and I tell him, "My elbow hurts when I move it this way"

    Even if he offers an operation, his best advice will be "Then DON'T move it 'That Way'"
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    If you REALLY need to know an Unknown Device, I suggest using Aida64, which will ID each piece of hardware on the board, by reading it's identification. There is One and One Only program that finds Unknown Hardware, it;s on Hiren's and that's what it's called - I'll find out for anyone who actually needs it.

    Ok, it;s called Device Doctor - Use it on the Hiren's disk, don't install it. But treat what it finds with suspicion. Best bet? Don;t use it to download for stuff that already HAS drivers, only use it for UNKNOWN devices.

    You see, these garbage Driver programs, have found a RACKET. They have found a NICHE and have EXPLOITED it.

    I would say, just stick with Driverguide.com, it's the only service really dedicated to finding real drivers.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    Well, Count Mike, the only Drivers you need to worry about from MS are the Video drivers they offer, which have a high probability of being the wrong drivers. Actually, what I mean is - WORRY about MS offering Video Drivers, and DON'T GET THEM.

    I'm just saying, for the most part, MS finds what is needed when it is needed. No person who buys good video cards will ever allow MS updates for them, they will get them from the Maker.

    All other drivers, chipset drivers,m Modem, Audio drivers, the ones MS finds are more than sufficient.

    But my idea is, if your Original Drivers work? Leave em alone!

    It is the same principle, when I go to the Doctor and I tell him, "My elbow hurts when I move it this way"

    Even if he offers an operation, his best advice will be "Then DON'T move it 'That Way'"
    I understand you, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but there's a bunch of reasons to have better or newer drivers, so should keep all the options open. It's not only for GPU and like good and even necessary to have full drivers, if for instance a generic driver does not let you modify options for, let's say a printer, so you can't use all of its capabilities, than it's not of much use. Another example is drivers for Realtec sound drivers, generic MS ones have only basic settings and OEM ones give you so much more.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Yes, it's best to have the newest drivers. But you save your OEM driver disks anyway. Install the original OEM driver, then when MS downloads the update, all the extra functions are there.

    Myself, I never USE the extra cack that comes with like, HP Printers. I just want the Printer Driver. A Driver should be small - Not a huge program using Gigs of Memory like what HP makes.

    But if you think cack proVIRUSgrams like DriverVirusMax is gonna give you the newest full HP Printer drivers, thats not gonna happen.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Driverguide asks for money and there's a lot of places on earth from where it is very difficult or impossible to pay from. Using Vendor device ID brought me into dead end few times with all this hyper production of fake HW.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    Yes, it's best to have the newest drivers. But you save your OEM driver disks anyway. Install the original OEM driver, then when MS downloads the update, all the extra functions are there.

    Myself, I never USE the extra cack that comes with like, HP Printers. I just want the Printer Driver. A Driver should be small - Not a huge program using Gigs of Memory like what HP makes.

    But if you think cack proVIRUSgrams like DriverVirusMax is gonna give you the newest full HP Printer drivers, thats not gonna happen.
    Well, I like to be able to use all the capabilities of HW and basic drivers are just not going to give me that. And no, Driver max and like programs did not give or found me those drivers but SlimDrivers did not give me no viruses either.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Well, I never pay for Driverguide, you can use it once a week without paying, right? That should be enough but ya gotta read what people say about the driver you are getting. Make sure.

    Anyway, Aida64 finds out what is actually in your machine, it will tell you precisely what's in there. It read the vendor ID, but it also finds out what it IS. It also offers to download it for you, for a price, but it's good enough to know what to look for then you can find it yourself in a search.

    Try out "Device Doctor" and also "Unknown Device" in Hirens. But don't install either program into your machine.

    Finding Drivers on the net, thats what I do, I charge people for it. It's cos I'm good and figuring it out. Sometimes it is impossible to find a driver for something, and you have to settle for running the device on the OS intended for it. For me, that's Pro Tools 6.4 on XP.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post

    Well, I like to be able to use all the capabilities of HW and basic drivers are just not going to give me that. And no, Driver max and like programs did not give or found me those drivers but SlimDrivers did not give me no viruses either.
    The only devices that require you to have all the extras are AIO Printer/Scanners.

    Any other device that requires other things to run, is a specialty item like my Digi 001. IN that case you get the drivers from Avid/Digidesign and ONLY Avid/Digidesign.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post

    Well, I like to be able to use all the capabilities of HW and basic drivers are just not going to give me that. And no, Driver max and like programs did not give or found me those drivers but SlimDrivers did not give me no viruses either.
    The only devices that require you to have all the extras are AIO Printer/Scanners.

    Any other device that requires other things to run, is a specialty item like my Digi 001. IN that case you get the drivers from Avid/Digidesign and ONLY Avid/Digidesign.
    Hmmm, basic drivers for HP1300 did not give me some options like choosing from which tray to use paper from or some paper sizes but OEM ones from HP on Win XP gave me that and more. Also, basic drivers from MS for Realtec sound did not give me more than 10% of what OEM ones can do.
    Are you part of "Digidesign" ? seen some nifty things there.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
all power options are gone!
Related Threads
I went into my power options to change some of the advanced settings and most of them are missing? I am on windows 8.1 with a week old Surface Pro 3. I want to say I read somewhere that hyper-v can cause options to be missing, but I honestly don't even know what that is and I don't have it...
How to Add or Remove "USB 3 Link Power Mangement" in Power Options in Windows 8 What is a link A USB connection between two USB ports. For example, between your PC and a USB 3.0 device. The downstream port (DS port) of a host or a hub. The upstream port (US port) of an attached device...
Power Options Windows 8.1 in General Support
One day I go to shutdown/hibernate/sleep button and a pop up says "no power options available". I can still preform these options but I have to go through signing out first then picking. How do I change this? Oh, and no, I didn't add or upgrade, etc. anything lately.
How to Add or Remove PCIe "Link State Power Management" in Power Options in Windows The Link State Power Management is a part of PCI Express Active State Power Management (ASPM). The link State of a PCIe Device is converted from L0 (on) to L1 (off) when the link is not transferring data. The...
Solved Power Options not working in Performance & Maintenance
Hi can anyone out there help me. The power options on my computer have stopped working. The screen does not dim or turn off automatically and the computer does not sleep automatically. I bought my HP Pavilion 20 all in one desktop two weeks ago and then power options stopped working a week ago...
Solved Power options in Performance & Maintenance
A while back, Brink showed a way to setup so that you could right-click on the desktop for some power options one of which was “shutdown”. I had it working when I had the evaluation edition and liked it. I now have installed the update Pro. But, I forgot how to do it. Can anyone refresh my mind?...
Those that uses RDP would know that a proper disconnection or logoff of a session is necesaary. But with WDP there is no such power options. Just the good old click on X to close connection. Hopefully in the RTM version this will get rectified.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook