Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


I need to copy a Font in win8

  1. #1

    I need to copy a Font in win8


    Hi, I have some old software that still runs fine on win8 but with one exception in the way *some* Fonts are being handled. Badly!

    The old software uses "MS Sans Serif" which is not a TrueType font. Up until win7 this was fine as the font displayed well. In Win8, it is skinny stick characters and n some cases, barely readable.

    What I would like to do is to make a copy of the "Microsoft Sans Serif" which is a TT Font and copy it to the "MS Sans Serif," over-writing it so that both Fonts will have different file-names but the same contents. Then when the old app runs next time, I will again be able to see stuff.

    Problem is when I tried to copy the Font in the Font Folder I got a message "Only a trusted installer can do this."

    Any thoughts or suggestions?

    Thanks.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)

    Context Menu


    You should be able to right click on the font file and choose "Install" from the context menu.

    Fonts - Install - Windows 7 Help Forums
    Last edited by Brink; 23 Aug 2013 at 00:40. Reason: added tutorial link for more info
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    You should be able to right click on the font file and choose "Install" from the context menu.
    Thanks for the reply, but I don't think you understand the request. The "MS Sans Serif" Font is already installed and being used by the old software and the "Microsoft Sans Serif" is also installed.

    I need to COPY the "Microsoft Sans Serif"" renamed to "MS Sans Serif" so I have two identical Fonts but with different names so the the old software will load what it THINKS is "MS Sans Serif" but is really "Microsoft Sans Serif".
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by CarvedDuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    You should be able to right click on the font file and choose "Install" from the context menu.
    Thanks for the reply, but I don't think you understand the request. The "MS Sans Serif" Font is already installed and being used by the old software and the "Microsoft Sans Serif" is also installed.

    I need to COPY the "Microsoft Sans Serif"" renamed to "MS Sans Serif" so I have two identical Fonts but with different names so the the old software will load what it THINKS is "MS Sans Serif" but is really "Microsoft Sans Serif".
    I went to Fonts & copied serif file & pasted it into a folder & there right clicked it & chose rename:


    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    Then put it in Fonts:

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    This might work for you.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Thanks, I will give that a try. When I tried to copy the file while in the Font Folder I was disallowed, but didn't think to copy outside.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by CarvedDuck View Post
    Thanks, I will give that a try. When I tried to copy the file while in the Font Folder I was disallowed, but didn't think to copy outside.
    Post back with results please.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

I need to copy a Font in win8
Related Threads
I had to re-install Win8 and now when I select an article from IE on the desktop I can't Copy/Paste it either to Documents or a flash drive. There's no 'paste' on one and it's greyed out on the other. I have looked in past posts no luck.
Can I change hardware and improve font rendering in Windows 8? Text on Windows 8 looks pretty awful on my hardware. I'm using an Nvidia 550ti card and a Dell U2410 monitor. Text, in browsers and in the Windows GUI, is spindly, pixellated, and headache-inducing. Evidence? Look at msn.com in IE10...
Error font text Win8 in Customization
Hello everyone. Today, I found a problem when I click to device Proterties and see Font text has error. I don't know why is that. Please, help me fix it. Thanks! 25863
I am a new member here. I looked to find, but was not successful, a more closely related thread. I just purchased a Win 8 PC (gateway) to replace a Win XP PC (Compaq); both are desktops. The OS (XP) crashed weeks ago; although it was re-installed and seem to work, it was just too much work to...
How do you change the font color? I can barely see the text with a black window.
I really now the basics from font rendering (subpixel rendering, hinting....) so it's not a wrong setting or something. Windows have only simple grayscale antialiasing for the modern UI fonts and even some elements on the desktop (the bold office fonts "HOME" "INSERT" .... for example...
We just got a copy of Win8 Enterprise from our Software Licensing department...we have an MLA or ALA (whatever it's called :) ) How do I know if this copy will expire or if we will need to update to the version that comes out at the end of October. Basically how do I tell what I have :) Thanks,...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook