Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


I'm getting phone calls from Microsoft about

  1. #1


    Posts : 61
    Windows 8

    I'm getting phone calls from Microsoft about


    PNF and INF Files wanting to take control of my computer to delete those files. They say they're Junk files and if I don't pay the $40 + my computer will soon crash!

    Is this bogus or not?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    b o g u s ! ! ! ! !

    Microsoft will never call, period.he next time they call, just say something like:

    "Hey, that sounds good, hold on while I get something to write on."

    Then lay the phone down and go about your business. They will get the message eventually and hang up, but at least it will wast some of their time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 61
    Windows 8


    I'm on a fixed income and asked how much this would cost and they said $40 for a month and on and on. Plus, said when I get $$$ call 253-271-4520 - teamviewer.com was a site I ask about to write down. With WIN.8 I click on links or mail and another tab opens and I can get to site I want. They said, it was because of these either INF or PNF files ie. Junk Files that I need to delete and block with their software. I Googled the site I came up with was How To fix and open PNF file extension
    This site has a free download that will clean my computer to fix the problems. Rich will you look at the site and tell me if it is also Bogus?

    Thanks, Tommy
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 454
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
    "Hey, that sounds good, hold on while I get something to write on."

    Then lay the phone down and go about your business. They will get the message eventually and hang up, but at least it will wast some of their time.
    I like the way you think.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by alfatide View Post
    I'm on a fixed income and asked how much this would cost and they said $40 for a month and on and on. Plus, said when I get $$$ call 253-271-4520 - teamviewer.com was a site I ask about to write down. With WIN.8 I click on links or mail and another tab opens and I can get to site I want. They said, it was because of these either INF or PNF files ie. Junk Files that I need to delete and block with their software. I Googled the site I came up with was How To fix and open PNF file extension
    This site has a free download that will clean my computer to fix the problems. Rich will you look at the site and tell me if it is also Bogus?

    Thanks, Tommy
    its bogus ,don't pay any money to anyone on the phone !!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    N. Calif
    Posts : 2,586
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 Pro (tablet), W10 (laptop)


    I got a similar call this morning telling me that my computer was infected with viruses and that I should turn on my computer. I asked, "Which one? I have about 8 here so if you can tell me the IP address of the computer you are talking about..." The response on the other end was to hangup.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    INF and PNF files are legitimate files that serve an important purpose. They are not junk files and should not be deleted or modified in any way. Actually nothing in the windows folder or any of it's subfolders should be deleted or modified in any way unless you really understand what you are doing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    If you have caller ID get their phone number & report it to the police.

    Or the FCC, ICC, FBI, or somebody.

    Ask them to mail you with more information. ( USPS )-- ( mail fraud )

    People like them are scum.

    EDIT--

    If they are stupid enough to mail you,don't open it.
    Take the letter to the police so it can be dusted for finger prints.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Alfatide, if you are having problems, tell us what they are and we can help you.

    There is no legitimate company that will call you and tell you about problems with your computer.

    We can help, and it's 100% free.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 454
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    If you have caller ID get their phone number & report it to the police.

    Or the FCC, ICC, FBI, or somebody.
    It's very unlikely it's their real number.

    Ask them to mail you with more information. ( USPS )-- ( mail fraud )

    People like them are scum.

    EDIT--

    If they are stupid enough to mail you,don't open it.
    Take the letter to the police so it can be dusted for finger prints.
    Would the authorities really be that interested?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
I'm getting phone calls from Microsoft about
Related Threads
Phone Call From Microsoft in General Support
Not sure this is the proper category for this post - if not, sorry, please move it. Anyway, just wanted to re-warn members about phone calls. Yesterday, I received a phone call which caller id showed "Unknown. That was my first red flag. The caller identified himself as with Microsoft and in a...
Block In Calls in Drivers & Hardware
I upgraded to Windows Phone 8 Black Update and couldn't find the option to block Calls and SMS from certain numbers, and want to know if this feature is still available in Windows Phone 8 Black Update?
Microsoft Surface Phone? in Chillout Room
I know it is only rumored but does anyone else truly believe in this? Because if Microsoft creates their own Surface Phone then that would be incredible! Say good bye iFail!!!
? Do I need to instal yahoo messenger or skype to do that? If so this is a bloody unusefull app. Why I cannot add more than microsoft account and Facebook?
I'm trying to log into my wireless at work however the wireless connection requires that you type in credentials, then a browser should popup where one would normally click "Accept" for the terms, etc.. however the popup does not come. ever... Suggestions?
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook