Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Are computers outdating themselves in the long run?

  1. #71


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    I disagree with this point.
    We can draw our conclusions from 1000s of years of recorded history.

    Closer to home, on this forum there is:
    • One camp that thinks W8 is the Antichrist
    • One camp that thinks W8 is the "Second Coming" of Jesus Christ
    What am I missing here...

    But I don't see how 1000 years of recorded history link with the Sci-Fi revolting machines.
    (Unless the machines will have human thinking indeed)
    Exactly.

    If computers are designed think like humans, then "We can draw our conclusions from 1000s of years of recorded history."

    If they think like humans, they will probably have thoughts like:
    • I'm better than you
    • I deserve more than her
    • I should be in charge
    • etc.


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Then, Windows 8 acceptance or rejection is something humans choose to do.
    (So all conflicts between humans will carry on in machines)
    Human choices are made using conscious or unconscious thought.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #72


    Isn't the beginning of all this AI and robot thinking with Isak Asimov's "I robot" book, where is the first mention of laws of robotics. I'd suggest to read that book first.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #73


    BELGIUM
    Posts : 503
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64


    well Mibaup,

    i need my computer for work, so smartphone or tablet is out of the question.

    Hopachi,

    i changed to Office 2013 (after a trial version) because on can open several docu's in Excel in different windows, not possible in Excel 2010 (at least at the time).

    Excel is the only thing slow here and i try to use Excel 2013, so no Excel 97-03 wherever i can

    Jeff
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #74


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrys View Post
    i changed to Office 2013 (after a trial version) because on can open several docu's in Excel in different windows, not possible in Excel 2010 (at least at the time).
    Alright.
    But that's no problem at all, at least here or now.

    Click image for larger version

    You simply start a new Excel instance to open your second, third, fourth... document.
    Multiple windows in Excel 2010
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #75


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Isn't the beginning of all this AI and robot thinking with Isak Asimov's "I robot" book, where is the first mention of laws of robotics. I'd suggest to read that book first.
    Did you see the will smith moovie? Even though it is not really based on the actual anthology "I, Robot" is is in fact based on a number of short stories written by Asimov right before his death. The Image of Sonny jumping out the window, is from an Illustration from a story about robots apparently running amok, because of a Mis-Interpretation of the 3 laws, after that, the "Zeroth" law had to be programmed in to keep it from happening again. Do a Wiki on The Zeroth Law.

    But the side story, about Sonny dreaming, is from another short story about a robot that had dreams, who, in the dreams, dreamt itself as a Human starting a revolution. The Image of Sonny standing under the broken bridge is from that, it's when sonny draws that picture really fast while Calvin and Spooner look on.

    They never should have called it "I, Robot" because none of those four original stories appear in it. But it was indeed, true to the Robot writings. Harlan Ellison wrote a script for a moovie based on those stories, it was OK, could even be made.

    But the idea is, if we start tinkering with robotic brains, the 3 laws, now 4 laws, will have to be at the very root of each robot's OS.

    But the thing I fear is that any AI that develops will do so without the gentle tutelage of human hands. It will most likely develop on it's own and it will have to develop it's own morality.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #76


    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Then, Windows 8 acceptance or rejection is something humans choose to do.
    (So all conflicts between humans will carry on in machines)
    Human choices are made using conscious or unconscious thought.
    I've been reading this thread. You touched on something here that I wanted to mention, I2000 > Consciousness. I don't think a man-made machine, computer, robot, android, or what have you will ever attain consciousness. I think we are biologically unique to that. I realize that animals and perhaps plants may have it also.

    Is it just because "I think, therefore I am" philosophy that gives us consciousness, or is there more to it? > Such as our emotions (having influence on our decisions), or our "spiritual" side of being, if one believes that way just to name a few possibilities.

    I think the closest we'll get is an android such as Ash in the movie Alien. Even at that tech components will have to get awful small, powerful, and quick to achieve it. Then there's the neurological side to the beast.

    Consciousness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #77


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Then, Windows 8 acceptance or rejection is something humans choose to do.
    (So all conflicts between humans will carry on in machines)
    Human choices are made using conscious or unconscious thought.
    I've been reading this thread. You touched on something here that I wanted to mention, I2000 > Consciousness. I don't think a man-made machine, computer, robot, android, or what have you will ever attain consciousness. I think we are biologically unique to that. I realize that animals and perhaps plants may have it also.

    Is it just because "I think, therefore I am" philosophy that gives us consciousness, or is there more to it? > Such as our emotions (having influence on our decisions), or our "spiritual" side of being, if one believes that way just to name a few possibilities.
    Could we recognise "machine consciousness/thought" if we saw it?

    Could we accept "machine consciousness/thought" if we saw it?

    I'm sure there are certain groups who would never accept "machine thought" as reality.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #78


    BELGIUM
    Posts : 503
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrys View Post
    i changed to Office 2013 (after a trial version) because on can open several docu's in Excel in different windows, not possible in Excel 2010 (at least at the time).
    Alright.
    But that's no problem at all, at least here or now.

    Click image for larger version

    You simply start a new Excel instance to open your second, third, fourth... document.
    Multiple windows in Excel 2010
    Hopachi,

    that is not what i meant. If i open 2 Excel docu they are right away in there own docu. In Office 2010 you have to open another new Excel docu (with the right mouse click) to open a new one, at least overhere). The computer right over me is still on Office 2010.

    I need to open docu's that already exist and i prefer Office 2013 for that. Otherwise one has 2 docu's open in one window, which is a pain, because when i need to take a print, i must be carefull not to print the wrong docu.

    Jeff
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #79


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post

    Could we recognise "machine consciousness/thought" if we saw it?

    Could we accept "machine consciousness/thought" if we saw it?

    I'm sure there are certain groups who would never accept "machine thought" as reality.
    The same groups thats still think the world is flat, the apollo missions were faked, the government shoudl be changed into a CHURCH, and Sarah Palin or Mich-smell Bach-man should be president?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #80


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post

    Could we recognise "machine consciousness/thought" if we saw it?

    Could we accept "machine consciousness/thought" if we saw it?

    I'm sure there are certain groups who would never accept "machine thought" as reality.
    The same groups thats still think the world is flat, the apollo missions were faked, the government shoudl be changed into a CHURCH, and Sarah Palin or Mich-smell Bach-man should be president?
    the scariest part is these groups are still breading !!!!!!!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Are computers outdating themselves in the long run?
Related Threads
Hello it was working fine until suddenly it changed. we are on a domain network of 20 PC and server we can't see each others but we can access by writing the IP any help? I am connected to the network, Internet is working fine but only this problem. 54996
Hello, I got Windows 8 Pro from dreamspark and installed it on a new laptop (without OS, I wanted to save money). I had one of the WMC keys from the free promo so I added one of them. It basically overwrites the Win 8 Pro key if I'm right. So does that mean, that, in theory, I can use the Win 8...
Win 8.1 on 2 Computers in General Support
I have 2 computers one at work and one at home. Now that I have updated to Win8.1 if I make a change on my work computer ie. change the wallpaper or make a new homepage for IE it changes it at my house as well. How do I turn this off?
Solved Two Computers One Monitor in Graphic Cards
I have a new fast(er) computer and "old reliable" that still dual boots with Windows 7 and Windows 8. I have one 23" monitor that has both DVI and VGA. I'd like to use it with both computers. The new computer is hooked up via DVI and the old computer only uses VGA. Is it possible for me to...
My HOME network setup is seen in the attached jpg. I have a windows xp sp3 with wired internet. I have 3 wifi laptops all able to connect to the internet. 1 laptop is windows 8 the other two are windows 7 When i open up my network and sharing center all i see is the one latop as seen in...
Bye-bye old computers in Chillout Room
Hey everyone. Just dropped off a couple of old PCs at a local electronics recycling event. How do you like these specs: A Panasonic Business Partner with a 20 MB hard drive and monochrome monitor (and 5.25" floppy!), and an IBM ThinkPad with an original Pentium processor in it and Windows 95 on...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook