Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Are computers outdating themselves in the long run?

  1. #51


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robinpe View Post
    I think you will find that with the potential use of 'graphene' in computers, in such things as electrical circuits & integrated circuits, with its high carrier mobility, touchscreens, etc., speeds will increase tremendously. Much development of this 'wonder' material has been done since the award to the two scientists from the University of Manchester, with the Nobel Peace prize in Physics in 2010. Now in 2013 a billion euros has been awarded by the European Union to researchers led by a Swedish professor. I believe it will have many uses in computer hardware design in the very near future.

    That's what I'm talking about - New materials for new science, is what will make puters go faster.

    A Computer can do basic math functions many times faster than we can do them in our heads, except for some Rain-Men, but a computer basically cannot THINK as fast as a human being can, and cannot think in the same way a human can. In a way, computers are not even as intelligent as Insects. It would take an unprecedented array of processors connected in parallel to get a computer to pass the Turing test.

    Voyager introduced this idea of "Bio-Neural BrainGel Packs" that allowed data to move as fast as it does in a biological entity. The Enterprise D's main computer gave birth to an Emergent Intelligence, using the whole ship to make itself.

    I believe these are things that can happen if we ever develop the technology.

    More on Graphene:

    Graphene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Yes.
    Has to be it, best conductivity at the thinnest level.

    Graphene's varying conductivity levels pinpointed

    Hi there
    That's not strictly speaking true any more -- Intelligence can be defined in many different ways -- however the main common definition is the ability to use language, use tools to alter / adapt the environment and to replicate (prolongation of the species) - and on all 3 of these tasks computers can perform them infinitely more satisfactorily than humans. The ability to learn is also a pre-req for "Intelligence" - but that would come under the heading of using language which implies communication.

    I think you should also read up a bit about NEURAL Networks -- this type of approach is being used believe it or not in the more sophisticated "Technical Analysis" of Stock Market Trading systems.

    Here's some light bedtime reading for you. !!

    http://tcf-nj.org/proceedings/2007/T...Algorithms.pdf

    The ability to have emotions or be able to create literature or music isn't (unfortunately) a pre-req for intelligence -- as anybody who has ever seen the original Star Trek series will realize -- is Dr Spock (a Vulcan) intelligent - or even more interesting DATA as the machine character in Star Trek The Next Generation.

    One could possibly argue as well could you really call a species intelligent when it invents a game that 22 players kick a little round object on a small piece of ground for two periods of 45 minutes with a small break who get paid around 300,000 EUR A WEEK (or about 350,000 USD) while 100,000's of people scream and yell like crazy when the ball goes into a small roped off rectangular opening called "a Goal" and spend the better part of their week talking about it.

    (Don't get me wrong - I LOVE the game --Soccer or FOOTBALL as it's properly called outside the USA - but for extra-terrestrial observers --they must think we are totally BONKERS).

    Cheers
    jimbo

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #52


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    I love Soccer, always have, I despise "Football"

    But my computer likes to play games with me, it makes up it's own games, like "Today I will FREEZE for no apparent reason" or "Today, I will use 100% CPU while no programs are running" Or like yesterday, "Today, I will download a Virus instead of the linked EXE file from a storage site- But I will NAME the virus the same name as the EXE file I wanted, even though it was clean in the first place"
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #53


    BELGIUM
    Posts : 503
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64


    "Compared with older versions newer software is in general better but improvements on stability and features will not be beneficial for the speed."

    True Hopachi,

    hardware is fast nowadays, software sometimes, like Windows 8 or 8.1, but Office 2013 is S LO W, and comes comes from the same factory.

    Above all, it is difficult to find something in Outlook 2013 and my indexing is on.

    Even in Excel it is not a-lways correct, so i use "Effective File Search" which is fast, free and good. If only that would work in Outlook......

    Like today in Excel 2013, a document 2 pages, and it is not going fast, feels like Office 2013 had to come on the market A.S.A.P., but testing is for the client and no longer at Silicon Valley.

    Priority from MS was definitly the OS and not Office 2013.....

    Jeff

    PS

    Every time is type in Always (like now), i get the A in capital letter, strange
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #54


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post


    That's what I'm talking about - New materials for new science, is what will make puters go faster.

    A Computer can do basic math functions many times faster than we can do them in our heads, except for some Rain-Men, but a computer basically cannot THINK as fast as a human being can, and cannot think in the same way a human can. In a way, computers are not even as intelligent as Insects. It would take an unprecedented array of processors connected in parallel to get a computer to pass the Turing test.

    Voyager introduced this idea of "Bio-Neural BrainGel Packs" that allowed data to move as fast as it does in a biological entity. The Enterprise D's main computer gave birth to an Emergent Intelligence, using the whole ship to make itself.

    I believe these are things that can happen if we ever develop the technology.

    More on Graphene:

    Graphene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Yes.
    Has to be it, best conductivity at the thinnest level.

    Graphene's varying conductivity levels pinpointed

    Hi there
    That's not strictly speaking true any more -- Intelligence can be defined in many different ways -- however the main common definition is the ability to use language, use tools to alter / adapt the environment and to replicate (prolongation of the species) - and on all 3 of these tasks computers can perform them infinitely more satisfactorily than humans. The ability to learn is also a pre-req for "Intelligence" - but that would come under the heading of using language which implies communication.

    I think you should also read up a bit about NEURAL Networks -- this type of approach is being used believe it or not in the more sophisticated "Technical Analysis" of Stock Market Trading systems.

    Here's some light bedtime reading for you. !!

    http://tcf-nj.org/proceedings/2007/T...Algorithms.pdf

    The ability to have emotions or be able to create literature or music isn't (unfortunately) a pre-req for intelligence -- as anybody who has ever seen the original Star Trek series will realize -- is Dr Spock (a Vulcan) intelligent - or even more interesting DATA as the machine character in Star Trek The Next Generation.

    One could possibly argue as well could you really call a species intelligent when it invents a game that 22 players kick a little round object on a small piece of ground for two periods of 45 minutes with a small break who get paid around 300,000 EUR A WEEK (or about 350,000 USD) while 100,000's of people scream and yell like crazy when the ball goes into a small roped off rectangular opening called "a Goal" and spend the better part of their week talking about it.

    (Don't get me wrong - I LOVE the game --Soccer or FOOTBALL as it's properly called outside the USA - but for extra-terrestrial observers --they must think we are totally BONKERS).

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Thanks for the link Jimbo. I'll make sure to read that.

    Neurons use electricity for sending signals so this still relates to computers.

    I've noticed the intelligence pattern in Star Trek and also agree about soccer/football (and aliens).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #55


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrys View Post
    Like today in Excel 2013, a document 2 pages, and it is not going fast
    Give the 64bit version a try since you have a lot of RAM: this will improve Excel. But if you have a stable setup don't mess it up or test it on another pc.

    I still use 2010 (x64) and flies... Office 2013 should do the same.

    The thing is I don't rely much on plugins (they warn you x64 doesn't have much plugins) and I disable all third party ones that include themselves in Office anyway. The startup is almost instantaneous. Of course this solution wouldn't work in many businesses and user usage out there and in that case you'll have to keep your plugins and accept the speed.

    Don't forget: many Office plugins may slow things down on any version and architecture, just like the browser's with extensions.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #56


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post

    Yes.
    Has to be it, best conductivity at the thinnest level.

    Graphene's varying conductivity levels pinpointed

    Hi there
    That's not strictly speaking true any more -- Intelligence can be defined in many different ways -- however the main common definition is the ability to use language, use tools to alter / adapt the environment and to replicate (prolongation of the species) - and on all 3 of these tasks computers can perform them infinitely more satisfactorily than humans. The ability to learn is also a pre-req for "Intelligence" - but that would come under the heading of using language which implies communication.

    I think you should also read up a bit about NEURAL Networks -- this type of approach is being used believe it or not in the more sophisticated "Technical Analysis" of Stock Market Trading systems.

    Here's some light bedtime reading for you. !!

    http://tcf-nj.org/proceedings/2007/T...Algorithms.pdf

    The ability to have emotions or be able to create literature or music isn't (unfortunately) a pre-req for intelligence -- as anybody who has ever seen the original Star Trek series will realize -- is Dr Spock (a Vulcan) intelligent - or even more interesting DATA as the machine character in Star Trek The Next Generation.

    One could possibly argue as well could you really call a species intelligent when it invents a game that 22 players kick a little round object on a small piece of ground for two periods of 45 minutes with a small break who get paid around 300,000 EUR A WEEK (or about 350,000 USD) while 100,000's of people scream and yell like crazy when the ball goes into a small roped off rectangular opening called "a Goal" and spend the better part of their week talking about it.

    (Don't get me wrong - I LOVE the game --Soccer or FOOTBALL as it's properly called outside the USA - but for extra-terrestrial observers --they must think we are totally BONKERS).

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Thanks for the link Jimbo. I'll make sure to read that.

    Neurons use electricity for sending signals so this still relates to computers.

    I've noticed the intelligence pattern in Star Trek and also agree about soccer/football (and aliens).
    Hi there
    Human Brain cells also operate on "electrical energy" - the only difference is that the energy that computers use is often created by burning fossil fuel etc whereas the human brain uses electricity generated biologically.

    Actually there is research going on NOW about how to generate power via Photosynthesis (like plants) or other biological processes.

    Have a read of this - New uses for SPINACH -- watch out Popeye - competition here.

    ORNL Breakthroughs Pave Way for Spinach-Based Electronic Devices

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #57


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Well, that's one way to make Bio-Neural BrainGel Packs!

    Any Trek Fans in here, remember the Voyeccher Ep where Neelix brings home some nasty stuff to make Cheese, and bacteria got in all of the Brain Gel Packs? That was one of my favourite eps hahaha. They had to give Voyeccher a Fever.

    One thing I have always wondered - In the Pilot, there were only FOUR Maquis: Chakotay, Torres, that Big guy, and Tuvok who was not really maquis. About halfway through the 1st season, suddenly there are BUNCHES of Maquis, how'd they all fir in that 4 man Maquis Raider? But I'm glad they cheated with that, otherwise they never would have had Seska (Martha Hackett) who was my favourite trek crook.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #58


    BELGIUM
    Posts : 503
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64


    Hopachi,

    i am already on Office 2013 X64 with mixed feelings.

    Jimbo,

    sometimes you loose me with your knowledge.....


    Jeff
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #59


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrys View Post
    Hopachi,

    i am already on Office 2013 X64 with mixed feelings.
    I was expecting for you to be on Office x64 already.

    But I find it weird to be that slow. Especially with your computer specs...

    Here on O. 2010 x64 (SP2) I left all settings at default: there are not much plugins to choose from and each time I use Excel is blazing fast.
    Using the newer standard format XLSX, in case of saving, of course.

    I do believe more features are pomped in the 2013 version and also more plugins, since this was advertised.

    Was just reconsidering an upgrade, but now, I'm pretty sure to stick with 2010 indefinitely, as long as the needs allow it.

    Windows 8.1 and IE 11 don't like Office 2010 (just noticed plugin incompatibilities in the Preview but I wasn't using those plugins anyway).

    Don't worry, O. 2013 it's still pretty fresh: doesn't have SP updates yet and there will be most likely a bunch of stability and performance updates to be released along the way.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #60


    Posts : 81
    Windows 8.1 64-bit


    Maybe home pcs aren't the future and we will see some new futuristic device soon? for example the smartphone is also a computer and they evolved very rapidly. (now it's kinda stuck) and maybe after it we will see some different devices other than the smartphone and so on ?
    For example I've seen IBM is working on a computer that will try to think like a human
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Are computers outdating themselves in the long run?
Related Threads
Hello it was working fine until suddenly it changed. we are on a domain network of 20 PC and server we can't see each others but we can access by writing the IP any help? I am connected to the network, Internet is working fine but only this problem. 54996
Hello, I got Windows 8 Pro from dreamspark and installed it on a new laptop (without OS, I wanted to save money). I had one of the WMC keys from the free promo so I added one of them. It basically overwrites the Win 8 Pro key if I'm right. So does that mean, that, in theory, I can use the Win 8...
Win 8.1 on 2 Computers in General Support
I have 2 computers one at work and one at home. Now that I have updated to Win8.1 if I make a change on my work computer ie. change the wallpaper or make a new homepage for IE it changes it at my house as well. How do I turn this off?
Solved Two Computers One Monitor in Graphic Cards
I have a new fast(er) computer and "old reliable" that still dual boots with Windows 7 and Windows 8. I have one 23" monitor that has both DVI and VGA. I'd like to use it with both computers. The new computer is hooked up via DVI and the old computer only uses VGA. Is it possible for me to...
My HOME network setup is seen in the attached jpg. I have a windows xp sp3 with wired internet. I have 3 wifi laptops all able to connect to the internet. 1 laptop is windows 8 the other two are windows 7 When i open up my network and sharing center all i see is the one latop as seen in...
Bye-bye old computers in Chillout Room
Hey everyone. Just dropped off a couple of old PCs at a local electronics recycling event. How do you like these specs: A Panasonic Business Partner with a 20 MB hard drive and monochrome monitor (and 5.25" floppy!), and an IBM ThinkPad with an original Pentium processor in it and Windows 95 on...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook