Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


startup repair just goes on forever

  1. #1


    Posts : 14
    Windows 7/8

    startup repair just goes on forever


    Quote Originally Posted by burntham View Post
    After fiddling around with ubuntu and OS booting stuff, I managed to currupt my master boot record before powering down my pc (running windows 8 pro x64)

    I booted with the windows 8 disc and none of the options were helpful (same hdd locked problem).

    I managed to fix this by running repair (instead of install) from a windows 7 disc - it seems the windows 7 disc can remove the lock.
    This sounds like a sound solution, but it doesn't work for me. The startup repair just goes on forever, and ever, and ever and never does anything. If I don't disable secure boot and EUFI, it doesn't even go all the way into Windows 7 setup. It just sits there at the "Starting Windows" screeen forever.
    Last edited by Brink; 03 Aug 2013 at 17:31. Reason: Moved to new thread of it's own for better support

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic98
    This sounds like a sound solution, but it doesn't work for me. The startup repair just goes on forever, and ever, and ever and never does anything. If I don't disable secure boot and EUFI, it doesn't even go all the way into Windows 7 setup. It just sits there at the "Starting Windows" screeen forever.
    In your case, it will not work as you are not booting the Windows 8 Repair CD/DVD/USB in UEFI mode.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 14
    Windows 7/8


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic98
    This sounds like a sound solution, but it doesn't work for me. The startup repair just goes on forever, and ever, and ever and never does anything. If I don't disable secure boot and EUFI, it doesn't even go all the way into Windows 7 setup. It just sits there at the "Starting Windows" screeen forever.
    In your case, it will not work as you are not booting the Windows 8 Repair CD/DVD/USB in UEFI mode.
    I was looking at the solution that said use as Windows 7 disc. Like everyone else the Windows 8 USB drive was no use
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic98 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic98
    This sounds like a sound solution, but it doesn't work for me. The startup repair just goes on forever, and ever, and ever and never does anything. If I don't disable secure boot and EUFI, it doesn't even go all the way into Windows 7 setup. It just sits there at the "Starting Windows" screeen forever.
    In your case, it will not work as you are not booting the Windows 8 Repair CD/DVD/USB in UEFI mode.
    I was looking at the solution that said use as Windows 7 disc. Like everyone else the Windows 8 USB drive was no use
    or
    In your case, it will not work as you are not booting the Windows 7 x64 Repair CD/DVD/USB in UEFI mode.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 14
    Windows 7/8


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic98 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post

    In your case, it will not work as you are not booting the Windows 8 Repair CD/DVD/USB in UEFI mode.
    I was looking at the solution that said use as Windows 7 disc. Like everyone else the Windows 8 USB drive was no use
    or
    In your case, it will not work as you are not booting the Windows 7 x64 Repair CD/DVD/USB in UEFI mode.
    This person forgot their password once, and I had to make a Windows 8 recovery USB. I t hink I'll try to re-format it was a UEFI Windows 7 bootable USB and see what that does.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    . I t hink I'll try to re-format it was a UEFI Windows 7 bootable USB and see what that does.
    If Using a USB Pendrive on a PC with a uEFI BIOS.
    USB Pendrive need to be formated to FAT32 as in
    UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows
    Take note of Step 11 for Windows 7.
    Also you will need to use a USB 2.0 port, as there are no USB 3.0 drivers in Windows 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 14
    Windows 7/8


    I tried this by doing step 11 and skipping step 11 and I still get the error message regarding BCD

    1. Insert your Windows Installation Disc and Restart the Computer
    2. Choose Language
    3. CLick Repair

    Info: An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuation data.

    I guess I'll have to try making the USB drive again
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 14
    Windows 7/8


    Ok I put the drive into the laptop I'm testing 8.1 on. I went to the boot menu and chose UEFI boot. I was able to get to the Windows 7 installation screen. Of course I tried to do a repair but it gave me some message about this startup repair not being for this version of Windows. So, the drive has worked on another system
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic98 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by burntham View Post
    After fiddling around with ubuntu and OS booting stuff, I managed to currupt my master boot record before powering down my pc (running windows 8 pro x64)

    I booted with the windows 8 disc and none of the options were helpful (same hdd locked problem).

    I managed to fix this by running repair (instead of install) from a windows 7 disc - it seems the windows 7 disc can remove the lock.
    This sounds like a sound solution, but it doesn't work for me. The startup repair just goes on forever, and ever, and ever and never does anything. If I don't disable secure boot and EUFI, it doesn't even go all the way into Windows 7 setup. It just sits there at the "Starting Windows" screeen forever.
    Usually, when "Startup Repair" goes on forever, it is possible that the hard disk has developed errors.

    I would not use the Windows 7 Install disk to try to repair Windows 8 Boot, I asked he guy who was suggesting this and he never got back to me. I suggested it to someone once and they said when they tried it it returned an error "OS Not Supported" or "Wrong OS"- I see this happened to you. Forget that, it won't work.

    So it's better to use a Hard Drive scan utility like GWscan to scan the whole hard drive from outside of Windows, Hiren's boot CD has just about every OEM disk scanning utility there is. Boot to the disk with the Disk Scanning programs, and run a full disk check and make sure there are not Read Errors. The Scanning utility will offer to repair it, do that if prompted.

    After that, boot to the Windows 8 Install disk and go into a command prompt and run "Bootrec /fixmbr" and then "Bootrec /scanos" and it will find your Windows 8 and put it back in it's place. But it's a good bet you have a bad spot on your hard drive, because the Windows 8 "Auto Diagnostics" should not take longer than an hour to run, if even that long.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

startup repair just goes on forever
Related Threads
Solved 8.1 x64 BSOD on startup even with repair disc in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hi, I'm new here, don't know too much about diagnosing BSOD errors so I would be very grateful for any help. Here's the deal, I was getting a few driver IRQL BSOD's when my system was running, I have had it built for about a week now. But now I can't even boot, i get KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED...
Cannot Boot From Startup Repair Disk in Performance & Maintenance
Hello, I have a Toshiba Laptop Satellite L875D-S7332 Part No. PSKFQU-008003 With Windows 8 x64 Preinstalled. I created a Startup Repair Disk with a DVD. My problem is i cannot boot from this DVD. I changed the Bios to boot from DVD but it still doesn't work! Can Anyone help me? Thank You, heaven5733
Hello. Yesterday night when i came home from work, i turn on my laptop with windows 8.1 and its started loading "pc repair", after it finished i get a message saying it could not repair automaticly. So i have tried advanced-restore point, it just failed. Tried cmd- sfc /scannow, and i get a...
Startup items taking forever to load in Performance & Maintenance
My PC boots up in 10-15 seconds, but then it sits at my desktop with everything functional for about 10-15 minutes before my startup items (Battle.net, Spotify, DNSCrypt, etc.) actually start loading up. Even after the items have loaded up, Windows Update continues to tell me that the service is...
Last night chkdsk tried to fix errors on C: on startup after I restarted my laptop. It was taking too long so I went to sleep, but in the morning, I had trouble turning the laptop on. When it did, the Automatic startup repair ran. Now the problem is that my laptop shuts down abruptly while startup...
I apologise if this is the wrong section, this isnt strictly a BSOD crash. Yesterday when shutting down my laptop (which has been upgraded to windows 8 Pro Previously, without issue) windows 8 installed an update. Since then, when trying to boot, windows hangs on the loading scree (spinning...
When I travel I like to apply the exact image of my desktop to my laptop to take with me. I was ready to do this with the Win8 I have dual booting on my desktop, imaging it over to a second partition to add a laptop Dual Boot. Normally I would use Acronis Universal Restore to adjust the image...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook