Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Booting from USB or DVD

  1. #11


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Thanks.
    Now I know my usb backup will work, ( if I ever need it ) .

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    I have the exact same "Advanced Startup" button that David Bailey has, it simply doesn't DO anything, except reboot the system.

    If I stuck a Bootable USB stick or drive in, the system boots to it first, automatically. Any Bootable CD/DVD I stick in the Optical Drive, boots first.

    Remember I said once that I have a Windows 7 HD and a Windows 8 HD, because I installed Windows 7 first and 8 second, and because Windows 7 is on an IDE drive, the system has to be booted from the Windows 7 drive, or else it does not see the Bootloader. But on my other system, I can boot from my C and D drives, both are SATA.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    I have the exact same "Advanced Startup" button that David Bailey has, it simply doesn't DO anything, except reboot the system.
    That's odd.

    Mine works good.

    I'm sorry I can't offer you any advice about yours.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 1,093
    Windows 8 Pro Windows 8.1 Preview


    @David Bailey: I obviously did not access the Advanced Startup as you showed with your follow-up picture; however, options like change your PC firmware settings should boot you directly into your BIOS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 1,093
    Windows 8 Pro Windows 8.1 Preview


    Quote Originally Posted by JustATest View Post
    @David Bailey: I obviously did not access the Advanced Startup as you showed with your follow-up picture; however, options like change your PC firmware settings should boot you directly into your BIOS.
    I have tested and confirmed that a UEFI machine, showing the Advanced Options to Change PC Firmware Settings, (if selected) will boot directly into the BIOS. Moreover, the boot to the BIOS is almost immediate. I'm a bit surprised you just didn't test it and see.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Thanks.
    Now I know my usb backup will work, ( if I ever need it ) .
    You are welcome.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by JustATest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JustATest View Post
    @David Bailey: I obviously did not access the Advanced Startup as you showed with your follow-up picture; however, options like change your PC firmware settings should boot you directly into your BIOS.
    I have tested and confirmed that a UEFI machine, showing the Advanced Options to Change PC Firmware Settings, (if selected) will boot directly into the BIOS. Moreover, the boot to the BIOS is almost immediate. I'm a bit surprised you just didn't test it and see.
    I had the removable booting device on my mind.

    I appreciate your info though.
    I've tried every F key on my keyboard & none of them do anything on reboot.-(thanks microsoft!)

    It'll give me something else to play with.

    I do use BootUI Tuner though.
    On every startup I have the option to go directly to the advanced startup options.
    Very handy.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 1,093
    Windows 8 Pro Windows 8.1 Preview


    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    In Advanced Startup there is the option to boot from a removable device.

    It has an icon for a usb drive & a disk, which I assume means CD or DVD.

    The question is, is this option the same as setting the boot order in the BIOS ?

    I tried it just to test it & when restarting, the process hesitated like it was looking for a removable device.
    I had no device inserted.

    Then my computer continued to boot like always.

    This intrigues me.

    EDIT--

    I was wondering if choosing this option would be a one time event or if it would change the boot order permanently ?
    I guess I missed that specific concern in your opening statement where you made reference to either a usb drive or a disk. Unfortunately I didn't read every response in detail so maybe that is where you switched your concern to a specific usb boot only issue.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey
    I had the removable booting device on my mind.

    I appreciate your info though.
    I've tried every F key on my keyboard & none of them do anything on reboot.-(thanks microsoft!)
    As Gateway are made by ACER.

    Enabling the boot device menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Acer
    On most Acer systems, you can use the F12 key on boot to select the drive or network from which loading the operating system. In case the F12 option does not work, you may need to enable this function.

    SOLUTION

    Enabling the F12 function:

    1.Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS.
    2.Press the right arrow key to select Main.
    3.Use the arrow keys to navigate to F12 Boot Menu, and press ENTER.
    4.Select Enabled, and press ENTER.
    5.Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey
    I had the removable booting device on my mind.

    I appreciate your info though.
    I've tried every F key on my keyboard & none of them do anything on reboot.-(thanks microsoft!)
    As Gateway are made by ACER.

    Enabling the boot device menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Acer
    On most Acer systems, you can use the F12 key on boot to select the drive or network from which loading the operating system. In case the F12 option does not work, you may need to enable this function.

    SOLUTION

    Enabling the F12 function:

    1.Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS.
    2.Press the right arrow key to select Main.
    3.Use the arrow keys to navigate to F12 Boot Menu, and press ENTER.
    4.Select Enabled, and press ENTER.
    5.Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system.
    Thank you !

    Pressing the Delete key worked.
    I never tried that before.

    I enabled the F12 key.
    It works now.

    I really appreciate the help.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Booting from USB or DVD
Related Threads
When I turn the computer on, it goes to a page with some curved colored designs on it. I have to push that up to get to a log in page, and then log in to get to my desk top. Can I do something so it goes directly to my desktop when I turn it on? I don't care about a log in.
Recently I purchased a laptop with windows 8 64 bit pre-installed in it. For my job purpose, I needed windows 7 32 bit. After searching the web and also using the information I got from this site, I disabled secure boot, deleted the recovery partition and converted GPT partitions to MBR. Then I...
Okay, so ive tried many ways, and Ive finally got stuck with using a VHD. I have followed countless tutorials, and finally found one. (on this forums somewhere) I go through all the steps, and it seems like it is working, and then when I boot my system it says this,...
Solved Booting from DVD in General Support
I have a new Asus S200 noteboook and I'm trying to get used to it. I have burnt a repair DVD but I now want to test it. It seems that the usual means of getting into the BIOS no longer work, so how can I boot from the DVD? Running Win 8 64 RT. Thanks
booting up in Performance & Maintenance
I had to referesh my pc with windows 8 and when it started to reboot the message "bootmgr missing" and it will not boot up. Any suggestions?
Pro X64 not booting in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hello, I keep getting this error :( Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. Were just collecting some error info and then well restart for you. It will then restart and start automatic repair then after a few seconds screen goes black and i have a white cursor with movement and that...
EFI booting: Why? in General Support
I was wondering, what is the reason for Windows 8 using a EFI boot? BIOS seemed more handy and gave me more options, but I wasn't sure why Windows switched.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook