Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

  1. #971


    Manchester CT
    Posts : 693
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA


    Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnpombrio View Post
    OK, my PC is back asleep. Solution for me is to not log onto MS account/Onedrive on bootup. Instead, I am back on local account. I forgot that I logged in for some reason or another and didn't bother to see if that was the cause of my sleep issue.
    I'm in the same boat. I have to use a local login to get back to reasonably reliable sleep performance. It is a network thing as unplugging the network cable has the same effect (improve sleep) when in network login mode.
    Lin, My computer was not asleep for a couple of times yesterday so not a solution.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #972


    Manchester CT
    Posts : 693
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA


    So computer has been awake for 4 times in the past couple of day so logging off of MS live account was not a solution. I have a feeling like others here that it really depends on how long it has been since the last reboot that makes the computer more likely to sleep.

    Here is the damage of not sleeping. Using a Kil-a-Watt meter, my computer idles at 88 watts. Sleeps at 3-4W. At, say, 10 cents per KWh, that is 20 cents a day, $75/year. Good reason to try to get the computer to sleep. The other is noise, dust intake, and lights shining in the room.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #973


    Posts : 102
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    John, this all confirms my conjectures of months ago (sadly).

    I remember you reporting after the Dec updates or so that the insomnia had been cured for at least one of your computers. Does this still hold? If yes, how do your computers differ in terms of hardware?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #974


    @John - Even more reason in NZ as our power charges are around 20 US cents per kwh.

    It's interesting that we can't seem to find a pattern between us. Just when I thought I could see a similarity between yours and mine you come straight back and say it isn't so!

    And I don't have the problem of time after boot. It sleeps OK but it is still not right as it ignores requests when playing vids from a browser.

    But my netbook seems to have it sorted. It sleeps reliably AND it stays awake for vid/browser playing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #975


    Manchester CT
    Posts : 693
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA


    Quote Originally Posted by Steve06 View Post
    John, this all confirms my conjectures of months ago (sadly).

    I remember you reporting after the Dec updates or so that the insomnia had been cured for at least one of your computers. Does this still hold? If yes, how do your computers differ in terms of hardware?
    Steve, seems like the Win8.1.1 update (the one that is going to be released in a couple of weeks) might have broke my main computer again. Out of the 4 computers in the house, only one has a sleep issue. Unfortunately, it is my most used computer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #976


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    Have you guys checked to see if regular maintenance is the cause and reboot resets it?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #977


    I wonder if someone would happen to have a brand new 8.1 laptop or a PC with all win 8.1 certified hardware, if that person would experience such issues... Maybe this is it guys: there is a gap between win 8 and 8.1 and our hardware or at least some of it became legacy!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #978


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by orbitalfenestra View Post
    I wonder if someone would happen to have a brand new 8.1 laptop or a PC with all win 8.1 certified hardware, if that person would experience such issues... Maybe this is it guys: there is a gap between win 8 and 8.1 and our hardware or at least some of it became legacy!
    Are they actually certifying hardware for 8.1? Is it common for them to certify for a point release?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #979


    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitalfenestra View Post
    I wonder if someone would happen to have a brand new 8.1 laptop or a PC with all win 8.1 certified hardware, if that person would experience such issues... Maybe this is it guys: there is a gap between win 8 and 8.1 and our hardware or at least some of it became legacy!
    Are they actually certifying hardware for 8.1? Is it common for them to certify for a point release?
    I think that drivers have hard time with 8.1 win 7 to win 8 was smoother. I'm just curious if I would go to a store and purchase a brand new laptop if I could reproduce the same issues.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #980


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by orbitalfenestra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitalfenestra View Post
    I wonder if someone would happen to have a brand new 8.1 laptop or a PC with all win 8.1 certified hardware, if that person would experience such issues... Maybe this is it guys: there is a gap between win 8 and 8.1 and our hardware or at least some of it became legacy!
    Are they actually certifying hardware for 8.1? Is it common for them to certify for a point release?
    I think that drivers have hard time with 8.1 win 7 to win 8 was smoother. I'm just curious if I would go to a store and purchase a brand new laptop if I could reproduce the same issues.
    Personally, I think the chances are high.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep
Related Threads
For some reason, Windows refuses to let any program (utorrent, iexplore, firefox...) connect to animetorrents.me (reporting that it cannot locate the server in Firefox and telling the me machine actively refused the connection in uTorrent) I can access the site through a proxy (eg: by going to...
When trying to boot Windows 8, it gets stuck at a black screen. I tried automatic repair and refreshing my pc. I need a dvd to refresh my pc which I don't have. I tried bcdboot but apparently the problem is not with the boot process. It seems that the only option left is to reinstall Windows 8...
I don't know if this is a software problem or not, so forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post it on. My Asus Q301LA refuses to wake from sleep mode if the charger is plugged in and the battery is fully charged. To elaborate, all that happens is the light on the power button comes on, but my...
After much trouble getting Windows Media Player to "see" several music files, I finally was able to burn a CD for use on a common stereo player. All tracks are short because they are simply sound effects for use on stage. I create a burn list of 1Music, 2Music, etc., through 25Music. I end up...
It will sleep when told, as far as I can tell... and it will hibernate if I manually right click and tell it too, So I've enabled hibernate, went into advanced setting under sleep to tell the computer when to hibernate. I set it to what ever time. It refuses to hibernate at the allotted time...
Amazing... I searched for "sleep" here and found the "Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep" thread, which is still going strong after almost 800 posts, talking about the exact opposite problem to the one I'm having! (Now, needless to say, I haven't read the entirety of that thread - yet; could someone...
I bought a new Dell 5 weeks ago (my old one of 9 years died) sadly it came with Wiin 8 installed? I wish I hadn't? The accounts and Passwords are atrocious. I have been locked out Twice using the same password I have used for 5 years and had used the night before and then had to wait a week for a...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook