Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

  1. #71


    Hasselt, Belgium
    Posts : 75
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32/64


    I have the same problem with my freshly installed Windows 8.1 on all my systems.

    After looking for a solution on the Internet, I found one program I used that kept it awake, and I also discovered something weird.

    First thing, the program that kept my main PC awake, was VirtualBox. When you use it with the Bridge Network Driver installed, the PC won't go to sleep, and when you force it to sleep, it awakens and crashes your Windows installation. Only a reset can recover from this. After removing VirtualBox, my PC went to sleep. I thought I had found the solution.

    The next day, I noticed something else. During the day, my PC went to sleep a few times as it should be because I was working on my Laptop and it had reached its idle time for sleep mode. And then it happened, a good hour before I went to sleep, I had to check my E-mails on my main PC and after this, it didn't go to sleep until I forced it to sleep.

    After this, I looked further into the problem and found something weird.

    I have three machines running Windows 8.1 in my Homegroup. And the thing I noticed was that my PC's went to sleep but not all of them.

    When PC1 and PC2 goes to sleep, PC3 stays awake. However, When PC2 and PC3 goes to sleep, its PC1 that stays awake.

    It's always the last one awake that doesn't want to go to sleep mode.


    I seems that as long as the PC's can find another PC awake in the network, they can go to sleep. But the moment that one of them is the only one awake, some process starts in Windows Homegroup that keeps the PC awake. Maybe it tries to find another PC every so often what makes the PC stays awake.


    I don't know enough of the inner-workings of Windows to find a solution, but I hope that someone with enough knowledge can do something with this.


    Now that I know this, it isn't that bad, because normally it's always my laptop that is on the longest and I always us a Shutdown before I go to sleep myself.


    However, my main PC always awakens in the morning to do some tasks and then it stays awake until I start using my laptop.


    Saw it this morning. I had set that my main PC should awake at 5am and when I woke up at 9am, my PC was still awake. I started my laptop and it took only a few minutes before my main PC went into sleep-mode.

    So, the things I noticed I can repeat as often as I want. It's always the last one that doesn't want to go to sleep.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #72


    Posts : 60
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Mas View Post
    I have three machines running Windows 8.1 in my Homegroup. And the thing I noticed was that my PC's went to sleep but not all of them.

    When PC1 and PC2 goes to sleep, PC3 stays awake. However, When PC2 and PC3 goes to sleep, its PC1 that stays awake.

    It's always the last one awake that doesn't want to go to sleep mode.


    I seems that as long as the PC's can find another PC awake in the network, they can go to sleep. But the moment that one of them is the only one awake, some process starts in Windows Homegroup that keeps the PC awake. Maybe it tries to find another PC every so often what makes the PC stays awake.
    Rudy, welcome and thanks for joining in on the discussion. You and I are experiencing the same problem. It's the wierdest thing. I know that sleep is set up correctly because each computer will sleep on its own accord as long as it is not the last one on the network to sleep. The first two computers sleep perfectly. However, the last computer (could be PC 1, 2 or 3 depending on whichever one was used last), simply does not sleep.

    Like you, this is where my expertise ends. I just simply don't know what process or service could be causing it. I'm hoping someone here could point us in the right direction!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #73


    Posts : 63
    Windows 8.1 pro 64bit


    I just stumbled on a whole range of updated windows 8.1 drivers for my Dell and installed them promptly hoping that it would resolve the issue. Unfortunately not! This is incredibly frustrating, my Macbook Pro running the newly released OS 10.9 is literally light years ahead!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #74


    Posts : 102
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by prism View Post
    I just stumbled on a whole range of updated windows 8.1 drivers for my Dell and installed them promptly hoping that it would resolve the issue. Unfortunately not! This is incredibly frustrating, my Macbook Pro running the newly released OS 10.9 is literally light years ahead!
    You have my sympathy, I also tried the latest drivers from my mainboard manufacturer which made no change. And as for you, my Macbook upgraded smoothly to OS X Maverick without compromising any of the existing functionality.

    Do you have homegroup disabled and does it sleep then? Same question for disabling the ethernet adapter.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #75


    Posts : 63
    Windows 8.1 pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Steve06 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by prism View Post
    I just stumbled on a whole range of updated windows 8.1 drivers for my Dell and installed them promptly hoping that it would resolve the issue. Unfortunately not! This is incredibly frustrating, my Macbook Pro running the newly released OS 10.9 is literally light years ahead!
    You have my sympathy, I also tried the latest drivers from my mainboard manufacturer which made no change. And as for you, my Macbook upgraded smoothly to OS X Maverick without compromising any of the existing functionality.

    Do you have homegroup disabled and does it sleep then? Same question for disabling the ethernet adapter.

    Steve, I never activated homegroup, does that count as equivalent to disabling? As for the ethernet adapter, switching the wifi transmitter does the trick for me which suggests that Windows 8.1 is overriding sleep because of a connection through wifi. Now is that a connection within my network or outside, I dont know. Nerve wrecking to say the least!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #76


    Posts : 102
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    I should think so, but to be sure you can check in your network settings (by right clicking on the network icon in your system tray, opening the network and sharing center and then clicking on advanced sharing settings) whether it says "Allow windows to manage homegroup connections" or "Use user accounts...".

    It seems we are in the same boat. I assume it is outside connections as I have checked how the PC responds when all other devices in my LAN are off. Wireshark could perhaps shed light on the culprit communications and I have it installed, yet I do not have the expertise for this kind of detective work. Can anybody help?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #77


    Posts : 1
    Windows 8.1 Pro

    Solution?


    Ok. I used S3 sleep state on Win7, Win8 and never had problem, until I installed Win8.1 Preview, now the same problem happend on full release of Win8.1. A problem was that PC went to sleep, but then imediately ~1s waked-up. The major cause of this problem was uTorrent, but not always. Sometimes some other programs trigered imediate wake-up calls. Wake on lan in BIOS was disabled, but that didn't helped.
    Anyway, after getting sick of this *******, I looked to network adapter properties, found few options called "wake on xxxx" and disabled them. Look image below
    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #78


    Manchester CT
    Posts : 693
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA


    Stipa, welcome to the Windows 8 Forum! Check out the tutorials when you have a chance. Great stuff there.

    I do not have the Wake on LAN in my properties but I had also turned off my "allow this device to wake the computer."
    Click image for larger version

    There was one suggestion from the Technet forums about disabling this under services:

    Click image for larger version

    Knock on wood but since I fixed all errant folders in all of my Homegroup folders, sleep has been working great on all three computers.

    EDIT: NO FIX. After a couple of days, the computer was awake again.

    EDIT 2013-12-28 This did not fix the problem. For me, a MS update on Dec 11th fixed it.
    Last edited by johnpombrio; 28 Dec 2013 at 14:42.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #79


    Posts : 102
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    Stipa, that's probably a possible solution if as you say the problem is that the PC is waken up from sleep. However, after days of monitoring of the issue at hand I can say that at least in my case the PC does not reach sleep state in the first place.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #80


    Posts : 63
    Windows 8.1 pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Steve06 View Post
    Stipa, that's probably a possible solution if as you say the problem is that the PC is waken up from sleep. However, after days of monitoring of the issue at hand I can say that at least in my case the PC does not reach sleep state in the first place.
    That is also my problem, getting the machine to actually sleep. Once it enters sleep mode, it stays that way unless I wake it up.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 8 of 206 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast
Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep
Related Threads
For some reason, Windows refuses to let any program (utorrent, iexplore, firefox...) connect to animetorrents.me (reporting that it cannot locate the server in Firefox and telling the me machine actively refused the connection in uTorrent) I can access the site through a proxy (eg: by going to...
When trying to boot Windows 8, it gets stuck at a black screen. I tried automatic repair and refreshing my pc. I need a dvd to refresh my pc which I don't have. I tried bcdboot but apparently the problem is not with the boot process. It seems that the only option left is to reinstall Windows 8...
I don't know if this is a software problem or not, so forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post it on. My Asus Q301LA refuses to wake from sleep mode if the charger is plugged in and the battery is fully charged. To elaborate, all that happens is the light on the power button comes on, but my...
After much trouble getting Windows Media Player to "see" several music files, I finally was able to burn a CD for use on a common stereo player. All tracks are short because they are simply sound effects for use on stage. I create a burn list of 1Music, 2Music, etc., through 25Music. I end up...
It will sleep when told, as far as I can tell... and it will hibernate if I manually right click and tell it too, So I've enabled hibernate, went into advanced setting under sleep to tell the computer when to hibernate. I set it to what ever time. It refuses to hibernate at the allotted time...
Amazing... I searched for "sleep" here and found the "Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep" thread, which is still going strong after almost 800 posts, talking about the exact opposite problem to the one I'm having! (Now, needless to say, I haven't read the entirety of that thread - yet; could someone...
I bought a new Dell 5 weeks ago (my old one of 9 years died) sadly it came with Wiin 8 installed? I wish I hadn't? The accounts and Passwords are atrocious. I have been locked out Twice using the same password I have used for 5 years and had used the night before and then had to wait a week for a...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook