Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

  1. #551


    Manchester CT
    Posts : 693
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA


    Syg, The update was reported on this site on post 516 by maliksaad (thanks!) a couple of weeks ago and looking back through my update history, it was this one: (Check your update history to see if they have been installed, date was 12/11/2013 and it was KB2903939)

    Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 update rollup: December 2013

    with the actual fix being this:

    Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2-based computer never enters a DRIPS


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #552


    USA
    Posts : 689
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Yeah I have it. Didn't do a darn thing for me

    Click image for larger version

    I'm currently downloading some finally released Windows 8.1 drivers for my soundcard to see if this solves the issue as I'm currently running Win 8 drivers instead of 8.1. However the Creative site is extremely slow at this time. Seems everyone in the world are downloading those drivers for the ZXR card. Once I download and install those drivers I'll test.

    Anyway I have another lead as well. I was reading in another forum as well as your earlier posts about Home Group being the issue and it was suggested to disconnect the internet cable from the system and see if the system slept; well that worked, but that I saw all the gyrations of going through the process and some yes and no's as the the fix sticking so...

    Can you clarify on that one?

    Thanks
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #553


    Manchester CT
    Posts : 693
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA


    Syg,

    The ONLY things that seemed to fix the sleep issue before the update were disabling the Network adapter by properties or by removing the network cable (not exactly a good solution, heh) and possibly disabling the advanced power settings (which created a bunch more problems like no throttling of the CPu and hard to change the sleep time). Nothing else worked for long. I am going through ALL of my posts and marking every one that I tried something and it did not fix it. There are a ton of them too. Here are a list of things I tried that DID NOT FIX THE COMPUTER SLEEP ISSUE:

    1. Going from MS live to local account.
    2. Disabling Homegroup.
    3. Disabling IPV6.
    4. Disabling Skydrive.
    5. BIOS settings.
    6. SRVNET settings.
    7. Error 10010 issue.
    8. APPs keeping the computer from sleeping.
    9. Fresh install of win8.1 Pro.
    10. SSD driver uninstall.
    11. Multiple changes to the LAN settings.
    12. updating/downdating the LAN drivers.
    13. updating all the other drivers for graphics, keyboard, mouse, CPU BIOS, chipset, etc.
    14. Setting up a network without using homegroup.


    On POST 457, I gave up after trashing my computer hard drives and almost losing a bunch of data. I went to manually sleeping the computer using the power button. After the update on 12/11, my computer sleeps and does not having any more crashing apps. I cannot suggest any other things to try.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #554


    USA
    Posts : 689
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Yeah that is a ton of stuff there. I don't know, guess I'll have to get use to manually putting it to sleep till a more reasonable solution can be found. It's frustrating because I built this new rig with Win 8 in mind. Between IE11 issues and now this BS which is posted all over the net, I may just dump 8 and go back to 7.

    Don't really want to do that but these BS nagging issues are starting to build to a boiling point now
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #555


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    I just applied a realtek audio drivrr update to my haswell MB. It currently is now entering sleep which it wasnt prior with a network user. We'll see if it lasts more than a day. There is also now an December update to the 4600 MB graphics driver. I'm going to hold off mixing it up until I see if the audio driver update permanently fixes the problem. Anyone else tried the new intel haswell audio or graphics drivers?


    Edit: Does seem odd that it might be related to audio or graphics drivers?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #556


    USA
    Posts : 689
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Any driver could cause sleep issues; that's also why it's so hard pinning down the cause The best way to prevent this is usually sticking with WHQL (Microsoft certified) drivers, but even then...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #557


    Hasselt, Belgium
    Posts : 75
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32/64


    And another thing you have to keep an eye on, are the apps that you run. When you close them, make sure you really close them and that they aren't just suspended in memory.

    I once didn't close one of my apps properly last week, and my PC didn't want to go to sleep. I can tell you, I thought my problem was back at first glance, until I opened Task Manager and saw that this single app was still in my list. Closing it made my PC go to sleep again.


    And for the rest. Try and update your drivers with the latest versions from the sites of the manufactures. My Graphic Drivers messed up my system when it came out of sleep or hibernation sometimes, until I finally found new drivers for Windows 8.1. The drivers that Microsoft use, aren't always the latest and best versions, it seems.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #558


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Mas View Post
    And another thing you have to keep an eye on, are the apps that you run. When you close them, make sure you really close them and that they aren't just suspended in memory.

    I once didn't close one of my apps properly last week, and my PC didn't want to go to sleep. I can tell you, I thought my problem was back at first glance, until I opened Task Manager and saw that this single app was still in my list. Closing it made my PC go to sleep again.
    Thanks for the tips. One thing though. With W7 my pc would sleep with at least a dozen apps still open. They were probably idle but definitely open. When does an app affect sleep short of of it executing a specific wake call or your network driver is configured to wake on activity?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #559


    Hasselt, Belgium
    Posts : 75
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32/64


    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Mas View Post
    And another thing you have to keep an eye on, are the apps that you run. When you close them, make sure you really close them and that they aren't just suspended in memory.

    I once didn't close one of my apps properly last week, and my PC didn't want to go to sleep. I can tell you, I thought my problem was back at first glance, until I opened Task Manager and saw that this single app was still in my list. Closing it made my PC go to sleep again.
    Thanks for the tips. One thing though. With W7 my pc would sleep with at least a dozen apps still open. They were probably idle but definitely open. When does an app affect sleep short of of it executing a specific wake call or your network driver is configured to wake on activity?
    I mean Metro Apps. I don't think W7 can run those apps.

    Microsoft has changed how you close those apps from Win8 to Win8.1. In the past, you just pulled them down and they were closed. Now you need to pull them down, wait until they flip, and then let go of them for a proper shutdown of those apps. If you just pull them down and let go, they will disappear from the menu on the left, but if you look in Task Manager, you will see that they are still loaded. That's why I always press CTRL-SHIFT-ESC before I leave the PC to check if everything is closed properly. You can still force your PC to go to sleep, but after it has run a nightly task, it doesn't go to sleep again if any of those Metro Apps are still in Task Manager.

    BTW: My PC sleeps now properly (except from the Metro App problems), after I reinstalled it (UPGRADE from my last Win8 image) after I had removed a program (System Mechanic) that messed up my registry. I haven't tried the new version of the program yet, but I will probably do that during next week. I always make a fresh image file of my hard disk every first of the month.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #560


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Mas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Mas View Post
    And another thing you have to keep an eye on, are the apps that you run. When you close them, make sure you really close them and that they aren't just suspended in memory.

    I once didn't close one of my apps properly last week, and my PC didn't want to go to sleep. I can tell you, I thought my problem was back at first glance, until I opened Task Manager and saw that this single app was still in my list. Closing it made my PC go to sleep again.
    Thanks for the tips. One thing though. With W7 my pc would sleep with at least a dozen apps still open. They were probably idle but definitely open. When does an app affect sleep short of of it executing a specific wake call or your network driver is configured to wake on activity?
    I mean Metro Apps. I don't think W7 can run those apps.

    Microsoft has changed how you close those apps from Win8 to Win8.1. In the past, you just pulled them down and they were closed. Now you need to pull them down, wait until they flip, and then let go of them for a proper shutdown of those apps. If you just pull them down and let go, they will disappear from the menu on the left, but if you look in Task Manager, you will see that they are still loaded. That's why I always press CTRL-SHIFT-ESC before I leave the PC to check if everything is closed properly. You can still force your PC to go to sleep, but after it has run a nightly task, it doesn't go to sleep again if any of those Metro Apps are still in Task Manager.

    BTW: My PC sleeps now properly (except from the Metro App problems), after I reinstalled it (UPGRADE from my last Win8 image) after I had removed a program (System Mechanic) that messed up my registry. I haven't tried the new version of the program yet, but I will probably do that during next week. I always make a fresh image file of my hard disk every first of the month.
    Thanks. Didn't realize metro apps would do that. Fortunately I only run a few windows utilities that are metro and nothing else.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep
Related Threads
For some reason, Windows refuses to let any program (utorrent, iexplore, firefox...) connect to animetorrents.me (reporting that it cannot locate the server in Firefox and telling the me machine actively refused the connection in uTorrent) I can access the site through a proxy (eg: by going to...
When trying to boot Windows 8, it gets stuck at a black screen. I tried automatic repair and refreshing my pc. I need a dvd to refresh my pc which I don't have. I tried bcdboot but apparently the problem is not with the boot process. It seems that the only option left is to reinstall Windows 8...
I don't know if this is a software problem or not, so forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post it on. My Asus Q301LA refuses to wake from sleep mode if the charger is plugged in and the battery is fully charged. To elaborate, all that happens is the light on the power button comes on, but my...
After much trouble getting Windows Media Player to "see" several music files, I finally was able to burn a CD for use on a common stereo player. All tracks are short because they are simply sound effects for use on stage. I create a burn list of 1Music, 2Music, etc., through 25Music. I end up...
It will sleep when told, as far as I can tell... and it will hibernate if I manually right click and tell it too, So I've enabled hibernate, went into advanced setting under sleep to tell the computer when to hibernate. I set it to what ever time. It refuses to hibernate at the allotted time...
Amazing... I searched for "sleep" here and found the "Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep" thread, which is still going strong after almost 800 posts, talking about the exact opposite problem to the one I'm having! (Now, needless to say, I haven't read the entirety of that thread - yet; could someone...
I bought a new Dell 5 weeks ago (my old one of 9 years died) sadly it came with Wiin 8 installed? I wish I hadn't? The accounts and Passwords are atrocious. I have been locked out Twice using the same password I have used for 5 years and had used the night before and then had to wait a week for a...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook