Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

  1. #281


    Yes, John, I notice that same disk activity as well. As you say, wonder what it is doing?? I did check what files were written at that time but couldn't see anything that stood out. Maybe someone else can see something there, though.

    The interesting thing is that a manual sleep, or one initiated by a specific program call, kills the machine in 7 sec. That is the 'normal' time to me. I am sure that is what my machine did under W7&8 and it is what a Vista machine here does. If you initiate sleep via the rt click start/shutdown/sleep, the sleep is instant. A good question is why it can shutdown instantly without ramifications but needs seconds to minutes (to forever!!) in other circumstances? Seems to come back to priority again. Just picking its nose has a greater priority in the timer sleep.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #282


    Posts : 102
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    Just wanted to add that were are thrid-party programs out there that can sleep your PC for you and are much more rich in their range of settings. For example, with Intelligent Shutdown that I am trialing now, I can set the percentage thresholds regarding network and CPU activity under which sleep would be suppressed. I am trying it out and it works so far but will report back a bit later if this is truly a viable solution. Perhaps there also other 3rd party apps out there that are even better or completely free.

    This is not a cure to the root of the problem, but if MS on top of their 18 billion annual earnings (Microsoft profit jumps 17% - Oct. 24, 2013) do not care to get rid of the bug for us, we have to move on and find work arounds.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #283


    So far my 7th and 8th sleeps worked. WOL then TEAMviewer remote . My PC SLEPT after both times.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #284


    Posts : 60
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    I don't necessarily want to throw a wrench in this, but did you know that there is a hidden registry setting for sleep? The setting is already activated and set at 2 minutes, but if you want to make changes to the setting, you will need to edit the registry. Here is more information:

    How to Add or Remove "System unattended sleep timeout" in Power Options

    Windows 7 Power Management: Fixing PC Insomnia (scroll down to the heading titled "What about Narcolepsy?")


    The reason why I bring this up is because I was wondering if those of you that have been able to successfully get sleep to work can verify that your computer is sleeping because of the timer settings under "Put the computer to sleep" time, as opposed to the "System unattended sleep timeout" time? Thanks for giving this a try!

    The "system unattended sleep timeout" time is specifically used for an unattended waking event such as WOL or a scheduled wake event. All other wake events would then follow the timer under "put the computer to sleep".

    For me, I found that two of my computers will sleep correctly on the "put the computer to sleep" time. However, the other computer will only sleep on the "system unattended sleep timeout" time, even if it wasn't an unattended waking event!! Ugh argh.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #285


    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
    I don't necessarily want to throw a wrench in this, but did you know that there is a hidden registry setting for sleep? The setting is already activated and set at 2 minutes, but if you want to make changes to the setting, you will need to edit the registry. Here is more information:



    How to Add or Remove "System unattended sleep timeout" in Power Options

    Windows 7 Power Management: Fixing PC Insomnia (scroll down to the heading titled "What about Narcolepsy?")


    The reason why I bring this up is because I was wondering if those of you that have been able to successfully get sleep to work can verify that your computer is sleeping because of the timer settings under "Put the computer to sleep" time, as opposed to the "System unattended sleep timeout" time? Thanks for giving this a try!

    The "system unattended sleep timeout" time is specifically used for an unattended waking event such as WOL or a scheduled wake event. All other wake events would then follow the timer under "put the computer to sleep".

    For me, I found that two of my computers will sleep correctly on the "put the computer to sleep" time. However, the other computer will only sleep on the "system unattended sleep timeout" time, even if it wasn't an unattended waking event!! Ugh argh.
    Yes I know and another one to authorize sleep with remote opens!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #286


    Quote Originally Posted by robwnz View Post
    In the quest to solve this, I have tried disabling SKYDRIVE (based on thinking what apps are polling on a regular basis), currently since doing that I am at 3 sleeps as they should be.

    I run my PC as an HTPC, so sleeping properly is more important that cloud storage I never use.

    Disabling SKYDRIVE meant doing the following
    Launch Group Policy Editor by pressing the Windows key and R simultaneously, typing gpedit.msc and hitting Enter.Beneath the Local Computer Policy section, navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\SkyDrive and then double click the entry labeled Prevent the usage of SkyDrive for file storage to the right.

    I am not saying this is "THE FIX" but its worked for three sleeps, and I hope many more...
    As a matter of fact, it seems to work for me! 24 hours and more than 10 sleeps later and still working. I even open 4 metro apps and let them open to see if my PC was going to sleep again. And guess what? It's a YES!

    Maybe somehow Skydrive messes up with power management service and cause it to fail. Or maybe a priority issue. Only time will tell us, but for now, for me it works. The thing is my PC sleep would have already failed if this was not working!

    Thanks

    Update: it seems that I've experienced the issue again. This time, I went to the task manager and close all metro apps. I watched a movie and after that my computer went to sleep as usual. I've got 2 COM errors 10010 at the time it happened. I know this is related to the metro apps

    The server {1B1F472E-3221-4826-97DB-2C2324D389AE} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.


    The server {BF6C1E47-86EC-4194-9CE5-13C15DCB2001} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

    Windows 8.1 - Event Viewer Errors (ID 10010, DCOM) - [H]ard|Forum

    The Skydrive metro app was one of 4 apps that I've opened to test my PC (even if it was deactivated) I strongly believe it's related. After closing all apps from the Task manager, my computer went to sleep.
    Last edited by orbitalfenestra; 15 Nov 2013 at 06:46.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #287


    Posts : 63
    Windows 8.1 pro 64bit


    Hmmm, I have "not configured" as status for Skydrive, I wonder if this is the same as disabled (ie no fix for sleep timer)?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #288


    Posts : 8
    W8 64

    What worked for me....


    Well.. I've been lurking this thread for a last few days and have pretty much tried everything listed here to no avail. I couldn't even get my computer to go to sleep via settings, power, sleep.. much less a timer. Using the (powercfg / devicequery wake_armed ) command never yielded anything as a culprit. So, what I eventually have found that allowed my computer to sleep was to disable the ability to wake the computer under the power options of every single HID compliant device in my mouse and keyboard tree in the device menu. Now my computer sleeps via the power / sleep button, as well as the sleep timer. I have to set the properties of my network adapter to awake the computer only with the magic packet to keep it from waking right back up after it goes to sleep.. but even with that setting my external Ceton 6 tuner ethernet device wakes the computer up and catches all my recordings.

    I can only deduce that some usb device / hub was drawing enough current to keep my computer from sleeping. I don't care about waking my computer up by hitting the space bar or moving my mouse.... just want it to wake and sleep on it's on to catch my tv recordings.. which it is doing now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #289


    Hasselt, Belgium
    Posts : 75
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32/64


    Quote Originally Posted by prism View Post
    Hmmm, I have "not configured" as status for Skydrive, I wonder if this is the same as disabled (ie no fix for sleep timer)?
    No, that's the standard setting.

    You have to set it to Enabled, because this option prevents it from working. So, when you use Disabled or you set it to Not Configured, SkyDrive is working like it should. If you Enable this option, then you disable SkyDrive. I also misread the option the first time and my PC stayed awake. Going back to set it to its normal setting, I read it again and then noticed that I had to Enable it to prevent SkyDrive from working.

    I reverted my PC back to its earlier normal status and settings and then went back in to Enable 'Prevent...' and now my PC is sleeping and hibernating like before.

    So, I think we finally have found the cause of our troubles. It's SkyDrive and not the Power service.

    The funny thing is, after preventing SkyDrive from working, now my apps are also working like they should. My Photos App always crashed on all my machines, after changing the SkyDrive setting, all my apps are working fine again. It seems the new version of SkyDrive in Windows 8.1 is flawed.

    I already had noticed that the syncing part of SkyDrive was flawed. When I changed a file that was located in the SkyDrive folder, sometimes it took 30 minutes before my other machines received the updated file, other times, it took several days before I received the new file.


    I'm almost 100% sure that our Sleep troubles, and our App troubles can be linked to SkyDrive.


    To be sure, I have my freshly installed Win 8.1 back on my Laptop and I prevented SkyDrive from starting, like mentioned above, and my laptop is now also sleeping while the service Power is still enabled.

    Luckily, I have 4 other cloud services running that I still can use for sharing my files. SkyDrive is now an empty folder on Microsoft's server.


    The thing with Disabling the Power service probably also worker, because this is the service that receives the stay awake signal from SkyDrive. This last part is just a guess, but I don't think I'm wrong about it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #290


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Mas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by prism View Post
    Hmmm, I have "not configured" as status for Skydrive, I wonder if this is the same as disabled (ie no fix for sleep timer)?
    No, that's the standard setting.

    You have to set it to Enabled, because this option prevents it from working. So, when you use Disabled or you set it to Not Configured, SkyDrive is working like it should. If you Enable this option, then you disable SkyDrive. I also misread the option the first time and my PC stayed awake. Going back to set it to its normal setting, I read it again and then noticed that I had to Enable it to prevent SkyDrive from working.

    I reverted my PC back to its earlier normal status and settings and then went back in to Enable 'Prevent...' and now my PC is sleeping and hibernating like before.

    So, I think we finally have found the cause of our troubles. It's SkyDrive and not the Power service.

    The funny thing is, after preventing SkyDrive from working, now my apps are also working like they should. My Photos App always crashed on all my machines, after changing the SkyDrive setting, all my apps are working fine again. It seems the new version of SkyDrive in Windows 8.1 is flawed.

    I already had noticed that the syncing part of SkyDrive was flawed. When I changed a file that was located in the SkyDrive folder, sometimes it took 30 minutes before my other machines received the updated file, other times, it took several days before I received the new file.

    I'm almost 100% sure that our Sleep troubles, and our App troubles can be linked to SkyDrive.

    To be sure, I have my freshly installed Win 8.1 back on my Laptop and I prevented SkyDrive from starting, like mentioned above, and my laptop is now also sleeping while the service Power is still enabled.

    Luckily, I have 4 other cloud services running that I still can use for sharing my files. SkyDrive is now an empty folder on Microsoft's server.

    The thing with Disabling the Power service probably also worker, because this is the service that receives the stay awake signal from SkyDrive. This last part is just a guess, but I don't think I'm wrong about it.
    And now, if we could just prevent posts prepared in Word (or Word Perfect) from adding the extra space between paragraphs.

    As an original beta tester on SkyDrive, Microsoft has given me an extra 15 GB of storage space, so I'd like to be able to use it, to say the least. I also have 25 GB on Box from my purchase of the HP 500-056 that's due back from HP Repair today.

    So, I guess my question is, "Will I be able to use SkyDrive by going to it manually" because I have several GB of very valuable files on my external data hard drive that I want to have backed up away from my house.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep
Related Threads
For some reason, Windows refuses to let any program (utorrent, iexplore, firefox...) connect to animetorrents.me (reporting that it cannot locate the server in Firefox and telling the me machine actively refused the connection in uTorrent) I can access the site through a proxy (eg: by going to...
When trying to boot Windows 8, it gets stuck at a black screen. I tried automatic repair and refreshing my pc. I need a dvd to refresh my pc which I don't have. I tried bcdboot but apparently the problem is not with the boot process. It seems that the only option left is to reinstall Windows 8...
I don't know if this is a software problem or not, so forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post it on. My Asus Q301LA refuses to wake from sleep mode if the charger is plugged in and the battery is fully charged. To elaborate, all that happens is the light on the power button comes on, but my...
After much trouble getting Windows Media Player to "see" several music files, I finally was able to burn a CD for use on a common stereo player. All tracks are short because they are simply sound effects for use on stage. I create a burn list of 1Music, 2Music, etc., through 25Music. I end up...
It will sleep when told, as far as I can tell... and it will hibernate if I manually right click and tell it too, So I've enabled hibernate, went into advanced setting under sleep to tell the computer when to hibernate. I set it to what ever time. It refuses to hibernate at the allotted time...
Amazing... I searched for "sleep" here and found the "Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep" thread, which is still going strong after almost 800 posts, talking about the exact opposite problem to the one I'm having! (Now, needless to say, I haven't read the entirety of that thread - yet; could someone...
I bought a new Dell 5 weeks ago (my old one of 9 years died) sadly it came with Wiin 8 installed? I wish I hadn't? The accounts and Passwords are atrocious. I have been locked out Twice using the same password I have used for 5 years and had used the night before and then had to wait a week for a...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook