Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

  1. #251


    Manchester CT
    Posts : 693
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA


    Quote Originally Posted by orbitalfenestra View Post
    John did you try to just not open any metro apps for a while? Not even a single picture and go directly to the desktop?
    Orbit, go to this post to see what is going on with the Start/Metro apps. That is exactly what they do, I click on them and then I go directly to the desktop. Becuase of Modernmix, that is where the app is suppose to open. Both of these problems went hand in hand for me but I don't see any of the same posters on THIS post that I see on THAT post. Except me!

    Windows 8.1: Most Metro Apps crash immediately at launch

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #252


    Manchester CT
    Posts : 693
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA


    Quote Originally Posted by robwnz View Post
    Prevent the usage of SkyDrive for file storage to the right.

    I am not saying this is "THE FIX" but its worked for three sleeps, and I hope many more...
    Rob, welcome to eightforums! Folks are congregating here as this is probably the number one Google hit for the sleep issue!

    I too am having luck with the deletion of the SSD drivers. BUT. If you go back through these amazing number of posts, you will see that I have "Solved it!" many, many times... I have no idea why my computer will go to sleep for a couple of days and just...stop.

    EDIT 2013-12-28 This did not fix the problem. For me, a MS update on Dec 11th fixed it.
    Last edited by johnpombrio; 28 Dec 2013 at 14:54.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #253


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by orbitalfenestra View Post
    I guess I can live without skydrive so Maybe I'll give a try... The funny thing is sleep always failed in the morning. Wonder why
    Maybe because it had slept all night?

    I did my best not to respond, but I just couldn't 't help myself! This contributes nothing to the thread and I'm sorry, but sometimes we just need a little comic relief.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #254


    Quote Originally Posted by johnpombrio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitalfenestra View Post
    John did you try to just not open any metro apps for a while? Not even a single picture and go directly to the desktop?
    Orbit, go to this post to see what is going on with the Start/Metro apps. That is exactly what they do, I click on them and then I go directly to the desktop. Becuase of Modernmix, that is where the app is suppose to open. Both of these problems went hand in hand for me but I don't see any of the same posters on THIS post that I see on THAT post. Except me!

    Windows 8.1: Most Metro Apps crash immediately at launch
    Did you update via the store to Win 8.1? The store update is full of bugs. And as you know the restore / refresh feature is broken too. Win 8.1 is a total fail! I manage to get a hand on a VL disk and installed win 8.1 from scratch offline to prevent activating MS account. After that, I plugged the ethernet cable and slui 3 my win 8 key and it is activated! I saw a huge difference, first the Modern UI is different and no more errors in event log except the COM errors timeout. And refresh / restore works!

    Unfortunately, the sleep issue is still there though I am confident we will find a great solution in near future. I am sorry to be off topic, but I believe it was needed.

    MS will never understand its customers...

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #255


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by orbitalfenestra View Post
    Did you update via the store to Win 8.1? The store update is full of bugs. And as you know the restore / refresh feature is broken too. Win 8.1 is a total fail! I manage to get a hand on a VL disk and installed win 8.1 from scratch offline to prevent activating MS account. After that, I plugged the ethernet cable and slui 3 my win 8 key and it is activated! I saw a huge difference, first the Modern UI is different and no more errors in event log except the COM errors timeout. And refresh / restore works!

    Unfortunately, the sleep issue is still there though I am confident we will find a great solution in near future. I am sorry to be off topic, but I believe it was needed.

    MS will never understand its customers...
    I have a Technet account and have downloaded Windows 8.1; however, when I updated to 8.1, I went to the Microsoft Store to get it. The only reason I went to the store was that I wanted to keep everything I had on the computer.

    It's on its way back from HP Repair and I will have to start all over from scratch after all. So, will my Technet download be as good as the one you installed with?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #256


    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitalfenestra View Post
    Did you update via the store to Win 8.1? The store update is full of bugs. And as you know the restore / refresh feature is broken too. Win 8.1 is a total fail! I manage to get a hand on a VL disk and installed win 8.1 from scratch offline to prevent activating MS account. After that, I plugged the ethernet cable and slui 3 my win 8 key and it is activated! I saw a huge difference, first the Modern UI is different and no more errors in event log except the COM errors timeout. And refresh / restore works!



    Unfortunately, the sleep issue is still there though I am confident we will find a great solution in near future. I am sorry to be off topic, but I believe it was needed.

    MS will never understand its customers...
    I have a Technet account and have downloaded Windows 8.1; however, when I updated to 8.1, I went to the Microsoft Store to get it. The only reason I went to the store was that I wanted to keep everything I had on the computer.

    It's on its way back from HP Repair and I will have to start all over from scratch after all. So, will my Technet download be as good as the one you installed with?

    Can't know for sure... if it is an enterprise edition not sure... And win 8.1 is a tough pill for your computer to swallow so yes I would recommend a fresh install. I know there is a way to download an ISO of win 8.1 from MS but it failed for me. And you need a dumb key to proceed. It took me more than 3-4 hours to do an install from win 8 to win 8.1. You'd laugh how quick it was with the VL disk... less than 1 hour!!

    I apologize again for the off-topic. BUT WE ALL PAID for WIN 8 and we have the right to have one who works correctly! It's like buying a broken car... this is ridiculous how hard MS treat those who follow the new windows with an upgrade!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #257


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by orbitalfenestra View Post
    Can't know for sure... if it is an enterprise edition not sure... And win 8.1 is a tough pill for your computer to swallow so yes I would recommend a fresh install. I know there is a way to download an ISO of win 8.1 from MS but it failed for me. And you need a dumb key to proceed. It took me more than 3-4 hours to do an install from win 8 to win 8.1. You'd laugh how quick it was with the VL disk... less than 1 hour!!

    I apologize again for the off-topic. BUT WE ALL PAID for WIN 8 and we have the right to have one who works correctly! It's like buying a broken car... this is ridiculous how hard MS treat those who follow the new windows with an upgrade!
    Thank you very much. I apologize too, but the end result I want is for my new computer to be able to sleep. Of course, I'd like NumLock to work on bootup too and my printer to be able to scan multiple copies using the ADF. And if using the Technet ISO for 8.1 Pro will work better than the store, I'm all for it. Like you, I'll be using it for an upgrade, which in this case will be a clean install. I'm hoping the ISO (once converted with CDCC) will install quicker than the store version. At least Windows 7 did.

    You said MS doesn't listen to their customers and I ask, "Why should they?; they never listened to their beta testers."
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #258


    Manchester CT
    Posts : 693
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA


    My Win8.1 Pro loads were, like Wy's, from Technet and the subsequent updates that showed up in, err, updates. Never touched the store. Yet, one computer had the sleep problem and another couple did not. No, I am pretty sure this is not due to a faulty install. So far, there is not a copy of Win8.1 Pro release version on Technet. It would still have to be updated.

    I want you to keep this in focus. Very few people have this problem (and they are all posting on this site,heh). It is something that may have missed bug reports because no one saw it on testing the release version. Doing a Google search will find plenty of hits about Windows not sleeping but they go all the way back to Win7. Only a few (which I listed out here at some point) point to the sleep problem for Win8.1 release. Hard to blame MS for something that may be due to the millions of possible combinations of hardware and drivers that a PC can be. If the SSD fix does work, is MS responsible or Samsung for not updating their SSD driver?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #259


    Quote Originally Posted by johnpombrio View Post
    My Win8.1 Pro loads were, like Wy's, from Technet and the subsequent updates that showed up in, err, updates. Never touched the store. Yet, one computer had the sleep problem and another couple did not. No, I am pretty sure this is not due to a faulty install.

    I want you to keep this in focus. Very few people have this problem (and they are all posting on this site,heh). It is something that may have missed bug reports because no one saw it on testing the release version. Doing a Google search will find plenty of hits about Windows not sleeping but they go all the way back to Win7. Only a few (which I listed out here at some point) point to the sleep problem for Win8.1 release. Hard to blame MS for something that may be due to the millions of possible combinations of hardware and drivers that a PC can be. If the SSD fix does work, is MS responsible or Samsung for not updating their SSD driver?
    For my part, with Win 8 I went through all the fixes (srvnet, etc) and it was working FLAWLESSLY until that nightmare that is Win 8.1. Again, I solved all the previous fixes and I'm pretty confident you and I got exactly the same problem (no powercfg /requests, nothing in the event log) And I don't want to disable the power options nor quick boot or hybrid sleep since it is great.

    Dawn I would give anything to see this through! lol I badly need hybrid sleep feature because my PC is noisy and when I fell asleep on the couch I expect it to do the same! lol
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #260


    Posts : 7
    Windwos 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajm1812 View Post
    I haven't tried killing the power service, but from what I read it will limit functionality I want to keep. Doing the srvnet power request override does work, although a bit of a last resort.

    I will test again when the January 2014 update is issued.
    Can you tell me, AJM, what functionality is limited by killing the power service, please? I haven't tried a whole lot of things to get Lady Dual Boot to sleep, and held back on disabling power service for awhile, then capitulated. So far, I haven't noticed any lack of functionality, and she's sleeping regularly now, but I still know more about hardware than software.

    The Power service manages power policies (when to hibernate, screen saver) and power notifications (the battery indicator on laptops and desktops with battery backups). The recovery options just say the PC should be rebooted if this service fails to start, so must be very important. However, there are no dependancies, so it must be a standalone service. I don't know how stoping this service has fixed the problem - take a look to see if it really has shutdown.

    I did the power cable tests early on, and I may have had existing srvnet power requests stopping the PC from sleeping before I realised this was a problem. I will test again now I know what is causing the issue. However, removing the network cable would just stop other PCs from making requests and putting in the power request, which I believe comes from HomeGroup. Removing the PC from the nework doesn't really resolve the issue though. Disabling HomeGroup on every PC may help, but disabling Nework Discovery seems to resolve this as well. You do lose functionality to discover networked devices easily in Explorer (Network category), although it is not necessary for the network to function. It would be an adequate workaround if you don't manage other PC's, which is what I do via remote sessions.

    Power requests are transient, and you need to monitor them activelly to determine when they appear. Srvnet power requests occur normally, but will get cleared down when the condition that caused it abates. In my PC they are not closing down without a force restart of the srv service. My solution is simply to disable HomeGroup totally (of no use to me anyway) and add a srvnet power request override.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep
Related Threads
For some reason, Windows refuses to let any program (utorrent, iexplore, firefox...) connect to animetorrents.me (reporting that it cannot locate the server in Firefox and telling the me machine actively refused the connection in uTorrent) I can access the site through a proxy (eg: by going to...
When trying to boot Windows 8, it gets stuck at a black screen. I tried automatic repair and refreshing my pc. I need a dvd to refresh my pc which I don't have. I tried bcdboot but apparently the problem is not with the boot process. It seems that the only option left is to reinstall Windows 8...
I don't know if this is a software problem or not, so forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post it on. My Asus Q301LA refuses to wake from sleep mode if the charger is plugged in and the battery is fully charged. To elaborate, all that happens is the light on the power button comes on, but my...
After much trouble getting Windows Media Player to "see" several music files, I finally was able to burn a CD for use on a common stereo player. All tracks are short because they are simply sound effects for use on stage. I create a burn list of 1Music, 2Music, etc., through 25Music. I end up...
It will sleep when told, as far as I can tell... and it will hibernate if I manually right click and tell it too, So I've enabled hibernate, went into advanced setting under sleep to tell the computer when to hibernate. I set it to what ever time. It refuses to hibernate at the allotted time...
Amazing... I searched for "sleep" here and found the "Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep" thread, which is still going strong after almost 800 posts, talking about the exact opposite problem to the one I'm having! (Now, needless to say, I haven't read the entirety of that thread - yet; could someone...
I bought a new Dell 5 weeks ago (my old one of 9 years died) sadly it came with Wiin 8 installed? I wish I hadn't? The accounts and Passwords are atrocious. I have been locked out Twice using the same password I have used for 5 years and had used the night before and then had to wait a week for a...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook