Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

  1. #1631


    Posts : 11
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    Well, it's done but I already tried troubleshooters options (power only).
    Now, waiting...

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #1632


    Posts : 299
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by werty View Post
    Also verify that there are no drivers that prevent Windows from going to sleep.
    Good luck!
    How do you do this?

    Thanks
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #1633


    Posts : 187
    Windows 8.1 Pro/ Windows 8 Enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by werty View Post
    Also verify that there are no drivers that prevent Windows from going to sleep.
    Good luck!
    How do you do this?

    Thanks
    See this thread on SevenForums Devices - See Devices that are able to Wake Up the Computer - Windows 7 Help Forums.
    Last edited by werty; 31 Jul 2014 at 03:54.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #1634


    Posts : 11
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    I give up...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #1635


    Quote Originally Posted by Noun0 View Post
    I give up...
    Know how you feel!! Mine seems to be the same as yours. With MS account it sleeps for a while then stops. Like you say, logout and login fixes it till next time.

    It's like there is some register being incremented causing a sleep problem eventually. Logging back in resets the counter.

    And, as we know, unplugging the ethernet cable sees it resuming sleep again. Plug it back in, sleep stops.

    My target at the moment, is OneDrive. OD syncing was added in 8.1 and it depends on the comp being connected to the Internet.

    There are a lot of registry entries for SkyDrive relating to syncing but who knows whether this is the right track?? I have set these to off so will see how long my comp keeps sleeping (it has been sleeping since 2030 last night).

    I definitely don't hold out any hope, though!! Therein lies disappointment and I am past that stage.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #1636


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Noun0 View Post
    I give up...
    Know how you feel!! Mine seems to be the same as yours. With MS account it sleeps for a while then stops. Like you say, logout and login fixes it till next time.

    It's like there is some register being incremented causing a sleep problem eventually. Logging back in resets the counter.

    And, as we know, unplugging the ethernet cable sees it resuming sleep again. Plug it back in, sleep stops.

    My target at the moment, is OneDrive. OD syncing was added in 8.1 and it depends on the comp being connected to the Internet.

    There are a lot of registry entries for SkyDrive relating to syncing but who knows whether this is the right track?? I have set these to off so will see how long my comp keeps sleeping (it has been sleeping since 2030 last night).

    I definitely don't hold out any hope, though!! Therein lies disappointment and I am past that stage.
    I really think (at this point) it's going to at least take a debug version of Windows. That probably rules out all of the posters in this thread.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #1637


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Noun0 View Post
    I give up...
    Know how you feel!! Mine seems to be the same as yours. With MS account it sleeps for a while then stops. Like you say, logout and login fixes it till next time.

    It's like there is some register being incremented causing a sleep problem eventually. Logging back in resets the counter.

    And, as we know, unplugging the ethernet cable sees it resuming sleep again. Plug it back in, sleep stops.

    My target at the moment, is OneDrive. OD syncing was added in 8.1 and it depends on the comp being connected to the Internet.

    There are a lot of registry entries for SkyDrive relating to syncing but who knows whether this is the right track?? I have set these to off so will see how long my comp keeps sleeping (it has been sleeping since 2030 last night).

    I definitely don't hold out any hope, though!! Therein lies disappointment and I am past that stage.
    I really think (at this point) it's going to at least take a debug version of Windows. That probably rules out all of the posters in this thread.
    I have access to debug version ,but would be a huge learning curve for me to use it
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #1638


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post

    Know how you feel!! Mine seems to be the same as yours. With MS account it sleeps for a while then stops. Like you say, logout and login fixes it till next time.

    It's like there is some register being incremented causing a sleep problem eventually. Logging back in resets the counter.

    And, as we know, unplugging the ethernet cable sees it resuming sleep again. Plug it back in, sleep stops.

    My target at the moment, is OneDrive. OD syncing was added in 8.1 and it depends on the comp being connected to the Internet.

    There are a lot of registry entries for SkyDrive relating to syncing but who knows whether this is the right track?? I have set these to off so will see how long my comp keeps sleeping (it has been sleeping since 2030 last night).

    I definitely don't hold out any hope, though!! Therein lies disappointment and I am past that stage.
    I really think (at this point) it's going to at least take a debug version of Windows. That probably rules out all of the posters in this thread.
    I have access to debug version ,but would be a huge learning curve for me to use it
    I'm impressed that someone even has access to it. I assumed those jewels were well protected.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #1639


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post

    I really think (at this point) it's going to at least take a debug version of Windows. That probably rules out all of the posters in this thread.
    I have access to debug version ,but would be a huge learning curve for me to use it
    I'm impressed that someone even has access to it. I assumed those jewels were well protected.
    its available on my msdn acct, I'm downloading it now for what that's worth ,lol , ill try to find time to install it on another hard drive to see what differs
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #1640


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post

    I have access to debug version ,but would be a huge learning curve for me to use it
    I'm impressed that someone even has access to it. I assumed those jewels were well protected.
    its available on my msdn acct
    It seems to me that it's going to have to be addressed at least at that level. I'm not sure that's enough. I'm guessing you don't have the source to go with it on msdn?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep
Related Threads
For some reason, Windows refuses to let any program (utorrent, iexplore, firefox...) connect to animetorrents.me (reporting that it cannot locate the server in Firefox and telling the me machine actively refused the connection in uTorrent) I can access the site through a proxy (eg: by going to...
When trying to boot Windows 8, it gets stuck at a black screen. I tried automatic repair and refreshing my pc. I need a dvd to refresh my pc which I don't have. I tried bcdboot but apparently the problem is not with the boot process. It seems that the only option left is to reinstall Windows 8...
I don't know if this is a software problem or not, so forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post it on. My Asus Q301LA refuses to wake from sleep mode if the charger is plugged in and the battery is fully charged. To elaborate, all that happens is the light on the power button comes on, but my...
After much trouble getting Windows Media Player to "see" several music files, I finally was able to burn a CD for use on a common stereo player. All tracks are short because they are simply sound effects for use on stage. I create a burn list of 1Music, 2Music, etc., through 25Music. I end up...
It will sleep when told, as far as I can tell... and it will hibernate if I manually right click and tell it too, So I've enabled hibernate, went into advanced setting under sleep to tell the computer when to hibernate. I set it to what ever time. It refuses to hibernate at the allotted time...
Amazing... I searched for "sleep" here and found the "Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep" thread, which is still going strong after almost 800 posts, talking about the exact opposite problem to the one I'm having! (Now, needless to say, I haven't read the entirety of that thread - yet; could someone...
I bought a new Dell 5 weeks ago (my old one of 9 years died) sadly it came with Wiin 8 installed? I wish I hadn't? The accounts and Passwords are atrocious. I have been locked out Twice using the same password I have used for 5 years and had used the night before and then had to wait a week for a...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook