Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

  1. #1601


    Posts : 11
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by orbitalfenestra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Noun0 View Post
    Hi,
    I have the problem of sleep too since the update of W8 to W8.1 (Pro Version).
    The sleep functionality stops to working exactly after 3 hours of activity.

    - I have tried with a fresh install of W 8.1 Pro, same result.
    - Tried with Local account, KO after 3 hours of inactivity.
    - Another MS account, no result.

    And I don't know if you have noticed but if you quit your session, the sleep is working again, don't need to restart the computer.

    Sorry for my English but I'm French :-)

    Bonjour et bienvenue sur le forum. Je parle les deux langues alors si je peux t'être utile, n'hésite pas.
    Merci, je n'hésiterais pas

    ----------------------------------

    I tried your solution irvoh but it seems it's not universal, not working for me
    1. already made
    2. already made
    3. already made
    4. already made
    5. done today, disable everything
    6. done today
    Reboot...

    After a few hours, sleep function was broken

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #1602


    Deactivate files and printer sharing. Reboot. Keep network discovery.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #1603


    Posts : 59
    Windows 8.1


    Disable printer and file sharing to get the pc to sleep? I think it is time everyone accepts that there is a bug in Windows 8.1 that is causing an issue. In the mean time manually put the pc to sleep and hope that Microsoft fixes it.

    I tried a lot of these solutions and none of them work. Disabling file sharing isn't an option.
    Last edited by Deihmos; 27 Jul 2014 at 18:41.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #1604


    Quote Originally Posted by Deihmos View Post
    Disable printer and file sharing to get the pc to sleep? I think it is time everyone accepts that there is a bug in Windows 8.1 that is causing an issue. In the mean time manually put the pc to sleep and glue that Microsoft fixes it.

    I tried a lot of these solutions and none of them work. Disabling file sharing isn't an option.
    Yeah, it is responsible for srvnet problem if 2 PC are opened at the same time (1 wireless laptop and a PC for me). I've noticed that long before win 8.1 by chance. As soon as my wireless laptop were opened then my PC wouldn't sleep. By deactivating files and printer sharing on my PC and rebooting... zoom srvnet problem = gone. After Win 8.1, then for a while, I got the sleep issue who left no trace in powercfg /requests. I was screwed again.

    I just suggest Noun0 to try it. What do we have to loose?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #1605


    Posts : 59
    Windows 8.1


    That is a different issue. I don't show anything blocking sleep and It works for a while and then I think it is fixed but eventually it stops sleeping. If I unplug the router it goes to sleep. There is a bug in Windows 8.1 that is causing this issue. Windows 7 sleeps without a problem and I have given up. There is a bug and none of these solutions will fix it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #1606


    Posts : 11
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    I have already tried to disable printer and file sharing, thanks orbitalfenestra.

    Indeed, I tried a lot of these solutions too, unfortunately, I think that Deihmos is right.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #1607


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    if it a bug in win8.1 then I must have got a bug free win8.1,not sure anymore what I got set and not set ,but mine sleeps on time every time
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #1608


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    We've been through this a million times.

    For some it works all the time.

    For some it never works.

    For some it works for a while, stops working, and for various reasons starts/stops working again.

    There are fixes for some people (perm and temporary) but no magic bullet fix for all.

    Those seeking the magic bullet will be sadly disappointed.

    If you need a crude, outdated, tool that works in almost all cases use StandbyHelper
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #1609


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    We've been through this a million times.

    For some it works all the time.

    For some it never works.

    For some it works for a while, stops working, and for various reasons starts/stops working again.

    There are fixes for some people (perm and temporary) but no magic bullet fix for all.

    Those seeking the magic bullet will be sadly disappointed.

    If you need a crude, outdated, tool that works in almost all cases use StandbyHelper
    agree 100% ,so why do people call it win8 bug
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #1610


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    We've been through this a million times.

    For some it works all the time.

    For some it never works.

    For some it works for a while, stops working, and for various reasons starts/stops working again.

    There are fixes for some people (perm and temporary) but no magic bullet fix for all.

    Those seeking the magic bullet will be sadly disappointed.

    If you need a crude, outdated, tool that works in almost all cases use StandbyHelper
    agree 100% ,so why do people call it win8 bug
    Personally, its not worth arguing over the semantics any more. It's at least an incredibly unstable feature for one hell of a lot of people? Agreed?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep
Related Threads
For some reason, Windows refuses to let any program (utorrent, iexplore, firefox...) connect to animetorrents.me (reporting that it cannot locate the server in Firefox and telling the me machine actively refused the connection in uTorrent) I can access the site through a proxy (eg: by going to...
When trying to boot Windows 8, it gets stuck at a black screen. I tried automatic repair and refreshing my pc. I need a dvd to refresh my pc which I don't have. I tried bcdboot but apparently the problem is not with the boot process. It seems that the only option left is to reinstall Windows 8...
I don't know if this is a software problem or not, so forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post it on. My Asus Q301LA refuses to wake from sleep mode if the charger is plugged in and the battery is fully charged. To elaborate, all that happens is the light on the power button comes on, but my...
After much trouble getting Windows Media Player to "see" several music files, I finally was able to burn a CD for use on a common stereo player. All tracks are short because they are simply sound effects for use on stage. I create a burn list of 1Music, 2Music, etc., through 25Music. I end up...
It will sleep when told, as far as I can tell... and it will hibernate if I manually right click and tell it too, So I've enabled hibernate, went into advanced setting under sleep to tell the computer when to hibernate. I set it to what ever time. It refuses to hibernate at the allotted time...
Amazing... I searched for "sleep" here and found the "Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep" thread, which is still going strong after almost 800 posts, talking about the exact opposite problem to the one I'm having! (Now, needless to say, I haven't read the entirety of that thread - yet; could someone...
I bought a new Dell 5 weeks ago (my old one of 9 years died) sadly it came with Wiin 8 installed? I wish I hadn't? The accounts and Passwords are atrocious. I have been locked out Twice using the same password I have used for 5 years and had used the night before and then had to wait a week for a...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook