Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

  1. #1281


    Posts : 1
    Windows 8.1 x64


    May I disturb you guys with my own issue related to the OS not going to sleep? I have found out that my audio driver ("High Definition Audio Driver") is keeping the computer awaken seconds after it goes off - it started happening randomly for 2 days now but didn't care, but it reached the point of annoyance I can't stand.

    Nothing I tried so far produced any results, setting a rule to ignore the wakelock, disabling options on and on. I will upload my powercfg /energy's log (it's in portuguese, sorry), if anyone can take a look and enlighten my way would be great. http://goo.gl/KdHh1H.

    EDIT: Actually it just got a lot more awkward, it's waking but not showing anything on powercfg /requests being used. I am at a loss.
    Last edited by rogeriorp; 06 May 2014 at 03:05.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #1282


    @John. By coincidence I also came across that page. I ran the t'shooter and it brilliantly told me it had fixed the display shutoff as it was too long (never). It set it to 10 min even though the sleep time was 1 min!

    But I can say my comp is sleeping very reliably now. For 10 days with a local login it was reliable. So, yesterday, I tried a MS login again. It has slept totally reliably since. But, as always, I will need to wait some time before I can relax.

    Not sure what has happened to improve the MS login reliability. I have uninstalled the ATK driver package and cleaned out the ASUS com services that were left behind. There was also an MS update requiring a reboot yesterday. Probably a security one - not clear from update history.

    Signs off setting reminder to report back on the sleeping in a couple of weeks!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #1283


    Quote Originally Posted by rogeriorp View Post
    May I disturb you guys with my own issue related to the OS not going to sleep? I have found out that my audio driver ("High Definition Audio Driver") is keeping the computer awaken seconds after it goes off - it started happening randomly for 2 days now but didn't care, but it reached the point of annoyance I can't stand.

    Nothing I tried so far produced any results, setting a rule to ignore the wakelock, disabling options on and on. I will upload my powercfg /energy's log (it's in portuguese, sorry), if anyone can take a look and enlighten my way would be great. http://goo.gl/KdHh1H.

    EDIT: Actually it just got a lot more awkward, it's waking but not showing anything on powercfg /requests being used. I am at a loss.
    Hi, Roger. This thread is really for computers that won't sleep rather than for computers that wake when they shouldn't. Your log file wouldn't be any use to me - I only speak English! Try disabling that audio driver just to make sure it is the guilty party. My HD audio dvr doesn't have a Power Management feature so it doesn't seem to be a good candidate for waking the comp.

    Good luck - we know how frustrating this sort of issue can be!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #1284


    LIVERPOOL, UK
    Posts : 18
    Windows 8.1 (x64)


    Quote Originally Posted by bru View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soulrebelno1 View Post
    The post advised people to check the background processes on their computer as 3rd party software might be the problem on their system. If the user installed the software in the first place then surely they can remove it, what's so technical about that? I advised users to search for the application and I also stated not remove any Windows system files or shut any Windows processes down.

    I still stand by what I've said: Windows 8.1 does not have a screen saver or a power plan bug, it's 3rd party software that's the problem, that's why I recommended doing a simple background resources check in using the Resource Monitor in Windows. As I've stated, I've tested my machine repeatedly, and it's now running perfectly, there were no bugs in the Windows OS.

    Many people, myself included, have had the sleep issue with out of the box computers. In my case all I did was update my Windows 8 machine and install 8.1 and I had a sleep issue. No third party software installed.

    So how does that effect your theory? For you removing third party software fixed your sleep problem. That doesn't mean that it is the cause of everyone's issue. People have solved their sleep issue by disabling IPV6, leaving a Homegroup, signing in with a Local account etc. For many others these same solutions don't work. Just like yours won't work for everyone.

    As to is there a "bug" in 8.1 causing the sleep issue? Based on my experience, yes.

    Hi 'bru',
    I'm afraid that you do have 3rd party software running on your machine. All the device drivers on your computer will be written by 3rd parties, apart from the generic Microsoft drivers, that's if you use them. Most people use the bespoke drivers that come pre-installed on the machine or come with the hardware if you've ever built one.

    Every internal bit of hardware, such as: your graphics card, audio card, network card, Bluetooth card, wireless card, the keyboard, the mouse/touch pad, just to name a few, will all have drivers written by 3rd parties. Every external peripheral, such as: printers, USB drives, audio interfaces, for example will also use 3rd party drivers.

    You also have 3rd party software running on your motherboard, in the form of firmware, which was written by the manufacturer.

    That's why, in my honest opinion, when these drivers get updated it can miraculously cure some users sleep problems, where as, other users find that there's no change. If the Windows OS had been the problem then, logically, the sleep 'bug' would then be fixed on every machine running Windows 8.1.

    Think about it, there are 1000's of machines around the world running Windows 8.1, but as 'johnpombrio' said, in his well structure and lucid post, the sleep issue only affects a relatively small amount of machines, which I totally agree with. He also gave an example where he said he had four machines running Windows 8.1. Out of the four machines only one of the machines had the sleep problem, that machine was "identical in hardware" to another machine, apart from the "Graphics card". Then, logically, and all things being equal, that points to a hardware/driver problem, as they are both running Windows 8.1.

    As I said previously, I believe it is not a fundamental core Windows 8.1 OS bug. If it was, then all machines running Windows 8.1 would be affected, which, clearly they are not. It's also why, based on my experience, I 'advised' users to check the background processes using the Resource Monitor, it might just point you in the right direction as to why your machine is not working properly.

    As for 'HomeGroup' being a problem, I delete mine and it didn't solve my problem. A network card could be a possible problem if it keeps "listening" for other computers on the network.

    I believe the problem to be a hardware/driver/software issue. Some process is stopping the affected machines from going into idle mode. Windows then thinks that the machine is still being used and doesn't put it into sleep mode. Anything could be the cause of the problem, even the motherboard itself, what a pain that would be!

    As I say, this is just my honest opinion based on my experience, you can choose to ignore it if you wish. I was just trying to help other users.

    Personally, if I'm being honest, I wish I had never posted my findings in the first place.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #1285


    Posts : 102
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    Hi soulrebelno1 ,
    thanks for your contribution to this thread. I will try to identify the cause of the insomnia in my cause but honestly do not find it obvious using Resource Monitor as you suggest.

    However, how do you explain the fact that in the case of my computer and others the sleep issues only arise after my machine has been running for some time. For example, right after reboot or re-logging in, sleep function will be flawless. So regarding your claim that some 3rd party driver/software I installed must be the culprit, I can turn the table around and ask, if this is the case, why isn't it stopping my PC from going into sleep just after a restart? Why does the insomnia only develop over time, in longer sessions?

    Anyway, I'm not meaning to attack you in any way, I just wish to figure out the solution to my problem. And yes, I always keep my drivers up to date by checking the manufacturer's homepage (especially Asrock, Broadcom, Intel in my case) regularly but updates have been scarce or non-targetted to this issue.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #1286


    LIVERPOOL, UK
    Posts : 18
    Windows 8.1 (x64)


    Quote Originally Posted by Steve06 View Post
    Hi soulrebelno1 ,
    thanks for your contribution to this thread. I will try to identify the cause of the insomnia in my cause but honestly do not find it obvious using Resource Monitor as you suggest.

    However, how do you explain the fact that in the case of my computer and others the sleep issues only arise after my machine has been running for some time. For example, right after reboot or re-logging in, sleep function will be flawless. So regarding your claim that some 3rd party driver/software I installed must be the culprit, I can turn the table around and ask, if this is the case, why isn't it stopping my PC from going into sleep just after a restart? Why does the insomnia only develop over time, in longer sessions?

    Anyway, I'm not meaning to attack you in any way, I just wish to figure out the solution to my problem. And yes, I always keep my drivers up to date by checking the manufacturer's homepage (especially Asrock, Broadcom, Intel in my case) regularly but updates have been scarce or non-targetted to this issue.

    Hi Steve,
    Without being able to physically inspect your machine in the 'flesh' so to speak, I can't give you an honest answer. I admit, it's a strange and perplexing problem and it looks like there are many causes and permutations.

    In my case it took a lot of hard work and days of research; in the end it was the Resource Monitor finally told me what the problem was, sorry it didn't help in your case.

    WINDOWS SYSINTERNALS SUITE
    Microsoft has some troubleshooting utilities called 'Windows Sysinternals Suite', it has a lot of specialised system tools and it may help you to narrow down your problem. There is also a 'Sysinternals Live' service that enables you to execute Sysinternals tools directly from the Web. You can find more information here: Windows Sysinternals: Documentation, downloads and additional resources

    Sorry I can't help you more.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #1287


    Manchester CT
    Posts : 693
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA


    So the power troubleshooter did not help anyone else? Dang. For me, sleep has been working for over twelve hours now, fingers crossed.

    It seems that my sleep problem was due to a broken screen saver. The screen saver was set to NONE and was greyed out but Win8.1 thought it was still running. To fix it, set the setting to bubble and click apply, then set it back to NONE and click Apply. that officially turned off screensaver.

    I also might have needed to turn off hard drives before the time I set for sleep to occur. Setting the sleep to one minute might not work in this case as the hard drives might not have time to spin down.


    Click image for larger version

    This is what the Screen Saver setting looked like but the power troubleshooter told me that it was enabled. To UNenable it was to do this, then put it BACK to NONE.

    Click image for larger version

    EDIT:2014-05-06 Did not fix the sleep problem.
    Last edited by johnpombrio; 06 May 2014 at 19:30.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #1288


    Quote Originally Posted by sportsman View Post
    Your not going to believe this, but I have my computer fixed where it will now go to sleep and it will activate the Screen Saver. I was working with HP, as that is what I have, and one of their suggestions, in a very long list, was to use the original Keyboard and Mouse that came with the Computer.

    As I still had them, I unplugged my Logitech Unifying Receiver for the Keyboard and Mouse, all of a sudden the Screen Saver cut in and a short time later it went to sleep.

    I have tried this numerous times and it always was the same. Disconnect the unifying receiver and it would do what it is supposed too. If I plug the Logitech Unifying Receiver in, then it will not go back to sleep.

    I am not totally sure it is their equipment all of the time, because I have a Logitech Unifying Receiver, with a different mouse for my Laptop and it has never ever caused me a problem. So I would have to suspect it is a combination of drivers causing the issue.

    FYI
    I just wanted to make sure that I clarify this post I had made. As it turned out in finally getting my machine to have the screensaver cut in, and then go to sleep, it WAS NOT, the unifying receiver that did it. That disconnected the keyboard from the computer and hence not allowing an application to work.

    The application of the "Solar Keyboard app version 1.10 was the problem in the end result. I don't want anyone to think from this earlier post that it had something to do with the unifying receiver.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #1289


    Quote Originally Posted by johnpombrio View Post
    So the power troubleshooter did not help anyone else? Dang. For me, sleep has been working for over twelve hours now, fingers crossed.

    It seems that my sleep problem was due to a broken screen saver. The screen saver was set to NONE and was greyed out but Win8.1 thought it was still running. To fix it, set the setting to bubble and click apply, then set it back to NONE and click Apply. that officially turned off screensaver.

    I also might have needed to turn off hard drives before the time I set for sleep to occur. Setting the sleep to one minute might not work in this case as the hard drives might not have time to spin down.


    Click image for larger version

    This is what the Screen Saver setting looked like but the power troubleshooter told me that it was enabled. To UNenable it was to do this, then put it BACK to NONE.

    Click image for larger version
    Excellent post John! I've ran to that glitch too but didn't bother to write about it!! Maybe this is what we're expected
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #1290


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by sportsman View Post
    I just wanted to make sure that I clarify this post I had made. As it turned out in finally getting my machine to have the screensaver cut in, and then go to sleep, it WAS NOT, the unifying receiver that did it. That disconnected the keyboard from the computer and hence not allowing an application to work.

    The application of the "Solar Keyboard app version 1.10 was the problem in the end result. I don't want anyone to think from this earlier post that it had something to do with the unifying receiver.
    And that's what makes this such a great group, Sportsman . . . when something we thought worked turns not to be so, we admit it didn't after all and go on to bigger and better. Thanks for clearing that up, cuz I also have the unifying receiver and was wondering why it wouldn't let your 'puter sleep while it put mine to sleep quite nicely.

    And now curiosity is again causing this ferret to die a thousand deaths . . . can you explain what you mean by the Solar Keyboard app version 1.10? I know I looked it up and figured it was for a gamer's keyboard, but ummm, errr, uhhh, this be one confused ferret.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep
Related Threads
For some reason, Windows refuses to let any program (utorrent, iexplore, firefox...) connect to animetorrents.me (reporting that it cannot locate the server in Firefox and telling the me machine actively refused the connection in uTorrent) I can access the site through a proxy (eg: by going to...
When trying to boot Windows 8, it gets stuck at a black screen. I tried automatic repair and refreshing my pc. I need a dvd to refresh my pc which I don't have. I tried bcdboot but apparently the problem is not with the boot process. It seems that the only option left is to reinstall Windows 8...
I don't know if this is a software problem or not, so forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post it on. My Asus Q301LA refuses to wake from sleep mode if the charger is plugged in and the battery is fully charged. To elaborate, all that happens is the light on the power button comes on, but my...
After much trouble getting Windows Media Player to "see" several music files, I finally was able to burn a CD for use on a common stereo player. All tracks are short because they are simply sound effects for use on stage. I create a burn list of 1Music, 2Music, etc., through 25Music. I end up...
It will sleep when told, as far as I can tell... and it will hibernate if I manually right click and tell it too, So I've enabled hibernate, went into advanced setting under sleep to tell the computer when to hibernate. I set it to what ever time. It refuses to hibernate at the allotted time...
Amazing... I searched for "sleep" here and found the "Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep" thread, which is still going strong after almost 800 posts, talking about the exact opposite problem to the one I'm having! (Now, needless to say, I haven't read the entirety of that thread - yet; could someone...
I bought a new Dell 5 weeks ago (my old one of 9 years died) sadly it came with Wiin 8 installed? I wish I hadn't? The accounts and Passwords are atrocious. I have been locked out Twice using the same password I have used for 5 years and had used the night before and then had to wait a week for a...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook